Soooo disappointed!!!!

Reaction score
I get my new 5k delivered today, carefully unbox it. Marveling at how well they packaged it, and the sturdy construction, but light weight of the unit. Install a couple of ram sticks. Hit the power button and......nothing! OK, check the plug on the back of the unit. Nice and snug. Hit the power button. Nothing. Check the plug at the strip, nice and snug, hit power nothing. Try another power cord. Nothing!!!! Freaking dead on arrival. I can't believe this crap! There goes my perception of Apple.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you hold the power button in long enough? I can press the power button on my iMac (I don't have a 5K unit) quickly and it won't turn on. I have to hold the button in for about 10 to 15 seconds before it turns on. Also, the new iMacs do not make the traditional Bong! sound. Apple has done away with that.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@StClair

Hit the power button

I recognise that this may simply be a figure of speech, but as our Admin chscag rightly says, the Power button has to be gently and fully pressed and held in for a few seconds.

The Power Button has a dual function in that a short touch and press can initiate Sleep Mode if so set up and to distinguish this action from shutting down the power completely or - your case - powering up, a longer and deeper press is required.

Is your Mac (I'm assuming iMac) supplied with a Fusion Drive or a SSD? Although rare, SSDs have been known to fail "out of the box". This is much less often seen with spinning platter drives.

Even if, after our advice, there is no joy, just phone Apple and they will give advice and replace it if necessary.

I understand the huge disappointment after all the excitement of anticipation.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Remove the ram sticks and ensure that the machine powers on as instructed by the others above me. When that's confirmed, then add the sticks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Did you hold the power button in long enough? I can press the power button on my iMac (I don't have a 5K unit) quickly and it won't turn on. I have to hold the button in for about 10 to 15 seconds before it turns on. Also, the new iMacs do not make the traditional Bong! sound. Apple has done away with that.
Good thought Charlie. I have a 2015 iMac and it does behave just that way. Ashort press initiates sleep and it takes a longer press to power up. Fortunately mine still produces the familiar "bong" to let me know what's happening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Remove the ram sticks and ensure that the machine powers on as instructed by the others above me. When that's confirmed, then add the sticks.

Good point Ashwin - my thought also for a 'troubleshooting' step - to put in the RAM sticks before even testing the product delivered seems asking for a problem. Dave :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Guys, I did everything that each of you suggested. Each and every one, including removing the add on ram. And the unit did include an SSD.

OP
S
Reaction score
Good point Ashwin - my thought also for a 'troubleshooting' step - to put in the RAM sticks before even testing the product delivered seems asking for a problem. Dave :)

How could that be asking for a problem? Please explain sir.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And just to clarify, was this a new iMac that you purchased from Apple? If so, before doing anything else you should promptly take it to your closest Apple Store and have them look at it and if they confirm the problem they should give you a replacement (assuming it's a default build and they it in-stock) or order it for you from Apple.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you have been sold incompatible ram sticks, which happen occasionally, one of the symptoms could be that the machine does not boot.

If these are extra ram chips used to increase the basic amount of memory remove the extra chips and go back to the original memory configuration and try to boot the machine. If it boots properly then we can start to troubleshot why it does not boot with the extra memory.

OP
S
Reaction score
The unit was purchased from Adorama. The sticks used were the one's used in a online review by a guy who calls himself Detroit Borg which included a link to the sticks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take it back to Adorama and have them give you a different unit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

If you have been sold incompatible ram sticks, which happen occasionally, one of the symptoms could be that the machine does not boot.

If these are extra ram chips used to increase the basic amount of memory remove the extra chips and go back to the original memory configuration and try to boot the machine. If it boots properly then we can start to troubleshot why it does not boot with the extra memory.

Sly.... has already answer what my thoughts were concerning a potential problem - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.