PDA

View Full Version : Vintage and obsolete products

chscag
12-04-2017, 05:37 PM
Apple has just classified the Mid 2011 Mac Mini as "obsolete" which means they will no longer service or provide parts for it unless required by law.

Below is the Apple KB article which lists all Apple products that are vintage or obsolete. Note that this may vary depending on location.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

OneWonders
12-06-2017, 09:02 AM
Every working Mac I own (5) is now obsolete. Guess that fits. I've been obsolete for years.

zeeshanshahid
12-06-2017, 10:56 AM
So what do obsolete mac mini Users they have to switch their Mac or stay with mac mini.

pigoo3
12-06-2017, 11:32 AM
So what do obsolete mac mini Users they have to switch their Mac or stay with mac mini.

They do whatever they want just like always.:) Just because Apple classifies an older computer as vintage or obsolete doesn't really change much. Did you read the link above? The vintage & obsolete "labels" only impact things if Apple will service/repair get parts for an older computer.

- Nick

IWT
12-06-2017, 01:30 PM
"Vintage" and "Obsolete" linked by the words "Apple Support" seem like a contorted oxymoron; but I do understand the pace of change and the virtual impossibility of keeping/manufacturing parts for all these products.

Hardly an original thought, but.....:)

Ian

pigoo3
12-06-2017, 02:47 PM
"Vintage" and "Obsolete" linked by the words "Apple Support" seem like a contorted oxymoron;

Most definitely in this case.;)

- Nick

pm-r
12-06-2017, 03:23 PM
"Vintage" and "Obsolete" linked by the words "Apple Support" seem like a contorted oxymoron; t…..:)
… … Ian

LOL… Not too surprising Ian how they *******ize and misuse the English language considering they are a California USA based company, and not too far away from the influence of the rebel Berkeley, California University as well. :Smirk:

PS: I thought that the UK had different "support" rules Apple had to adhere to over there, but I may be mistaken.

- Patrick
======

RadDave
12-06-2017, 07:12 PM
"Vintage" and "Obsolete" linked by the words "Apple Support" seem like a contorted oxymoron; but I do understand the pace of change and the virtual impossibility of keeping/manufacturing parts for all these products.

Hardly an original thought, but.....:)..........

Amazing looking at that LONG list - I started w/ an Apple II+ in 1980 and assume 'no parts' for that model? :) My son just returned from a Caribbean cruise which included a stop in Havana - they toured in one of those old Chevy cars and in their discussion the driver toward him some some of the vehicles were running on lawn mower engines (plus other substitutes, I imagine, such as Russian engines) - so, can't get parts and/or service after decades - computers are even much more short-lived, so no surprise - Dave