PDA

View Full Version : macOS High Sierra bug allows Admin access without password

Raz0rEdge
11-28-2017, 04:51 PM
There is a macOS bug that allows anyone with physical access to your machine to gain admin access without the password. The method of access is extremely easy so anyone can do it. Be sure to lock your computers when you are not using it then only you can unlock the machine.

Comments suggest that this might be fixed in the latest betas, so the bug might be short lived.

However, general good security practice is to set your screen lock to engage within a few minutes of inactivity and have it require your password to continue use.

Read more: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/28/macos-high-sierra-bug-admin-access/

To fix the issue before the next version of macOS is out, you can set the root password to avoid this problem.

Read here: https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/28/how-to-set-root-password/

pm-r
11-28-2017, 05:11 PM
There is a macOS bug that allows anyone with physical access to your machine to gain admin access without the password.

Well I don't have to worry with only my wife around in the house, and besides I haven't bothered to install Apple's "latest and greatest" macOS version, but good grief… how did they manage to miss this rather serious security booboo??? Just mind boggling. :-(

And why and how did it take so long to get discovered???

- Patrick
======

KevinJS
11-28-2017, 05:14 PM
I just came on to post this. Glad to see you guys are on the ball.

ProTruckDriver
11-28-2017, 06:12 PM
I'm sure glad I haven't upgraded to macOS High Sierra yet. ;)

chscag
11-28-2017, 06:50 PM
I read that earlier. However, it looks like Apple is aware of the "root" password back door entry and will close it off with 10.13.2.

chscag
11-28-2017, 06:51 PM
I'm sure glad I haven't upgraded to macOS High Sierra yet. ;)

Excuses, excuses, excuses. LOL.

dtravis7
11-28-2017, 06:52 PM
Um, on my MBP I have the Beta 4 of 10:13:2 and tried till my hands hurt and root does not log me in. If it was an issue it's fixed and when the .2 update officially comes out the issue will be gone.

I have the iMac still at .1. going to try it there.

ferrarr
11-28-2017, 07:54 PM
I just tried on my mini, and it didn’t let me log in with root?

macgig
11-28-2017, 08:23 PM
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/431316/dont-update-your-macos-until-this-major-security-flaw-is-fixed

looks like Im too late posting this. :)

chscag
11-28-2017, 09:01 PM
@macgig:

Be sure to read if there is already a thread of the same subject before you post. Merged your post together here with this one.

Groovetube
11-28-2017, 09:17 PM
This sort of thing always makes me glad I never update an OS until at least a few point releases are out!

Lifeisabeach
11-29-2017, 12:43 AM
There is a very serious security flaw just uncovered in High Sierra that lets a user enable root by simply entering "root" as the user name and hitting the "enter" key with no password entered until it takes. If you have remote access enabled, you risk being remotely hacked. Malicious app that knows this trick? Hacked. Someone sitting in front of your Mac that wants in? Hacked. The flaw can be sidestepped by enabling the root user yourself and setting a password up. I've always done this in the past, but completely forgot about it the last time I did a clean install (which was Sierra). Only High Sierra is affected. Read the details in the article below.

macOS bug lets you log in as admin with no password required (https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/11/macos-bug-lets-you-log-in-as-admin-with-no-password-required/?comments=1&start=0)

chscag
11-29-2017, 12:57 AM
This is the second time we had to move a post to a thread that already exists. Please guys and gals.... let's pay attention to what has already been posted. Also, this is the correct forum as it refers to macOS security.

Thanks.

Rod Sprague
11-29-2017, 01:02 AM
I have set my login preferences to display as a list of users rather than requiring me to enter my user name. Consequently I can only choose Guest or my user icon. So as there is no option to enter "root" as a user name that would seem to eliminate the problem. Or am I wrong?

dtravis7
11-29-2017, 08:51 AM
Rod, you are correct as that would prevent someone sitting in front of your system from using that hack, BUT I still with 10.13.1 on my Quad Core iMac can not get root to log me in and I have never set up a root account. I have now tried it 100's of times and it keeps failing and wanting a password.

Cr00zng
11-29-2017, 08:58 AM
It did work on my macOS 10.13.1 on the second try...

That's not a bug, it's a feature in case I forgot my password and locked myself out of the system... :Cool:

While the adage of "if you have physical access to the device, it's game over" is true, still.

Come on Apple, how could you overlook this bug? It's sloppy development and Q&A for sure. There are signs that Apple's software quality isn't as good as used to be and this bug does not help...

cwa107
11-29-2017, 09:59 AM
Come on Apple, how could you overlook this bug? It's sloppy development and Q&A for sure. There are signs that Apple's software quality isn't as good as used to be and this bug does not help...

It's yet another sign that MacOS (and likely the entire Mac lineup) is an afterthought at Apple today. It is frankly mind-boggling that such a simple flaw made it through what is presumably a mature QA process. Apple lost a lot of credibility on this one.

I changed my root password this morning after having no trouble replicating the flaw. The funny thing is that you have to "enable" root before you can even change the password, and then in-turn, disable it. More information here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012

I am also stunned that Apple didn't have a fix deployed within hours of the discovery. If we had such a severe security flaw in the wild at my company, developers wouldn't be leaving their cubicles until it was patched. This whole situation is very troubling for Apple.

cwa107
11-29-2017, 10:30 AM
Also, we have a tendency to dismiss flaws like this by saying "...but it requires local access". Actually, in this case, it doesn't... all I need to do is develop a compelling trojan that gets the user to execute. From there, I can make my malware run in the context of root and completely own the system. If a crafty hacker hasn't taken advantage of this yet (it's been at least 12-14 hours since this hit mass media), I'd be amazed.

Why hasn't Apple released an immediate patch that sets the root password (at the very least)? Their lack of action indicates a severe cultural problem at Apple surrounding security.

Cr00zng
11-29-2017, 10:47 AM
It's yet another sign that MacOS (and likely the entire Mac lineup) is an afterthought at Apple today. It is frankly mind-boggling that such a simple flaw made it through what is presumably a mature QA process. Apple lost a lot of credibility on this one.

I changed my root password this morning after having no trouble replicating the flaw. The funny thing is that you have to "enable" root before you can even change the password, and then in-turn, disable it. More information here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012

I am also stunned that Apple didn't have a fix deployed within hours of the discovery. If we had such a severe security flaw in the wild at my company, developers wouldn't be leaving their cubicles until it was patched. This whole situation is very troubling for Apple.

This bug seems really bad...

Once you assign a password to the root account, it is seemingly a workaround for this bug. But, if you follow the recommendation of disabling the root account afterward, you might be in for a surprise.

Go ahead and try changing system settings, after the password is set and the root account disabled:

Type in root and no password for admin credentials in the authentication window and press enter
do the same again and voila, you have root access

At the first time, the system will enable the root account and sets the password to blank. At the second try, it'll just log you in, just like it worked initially. I've seen a lot of serious bugs before, but this one is the worst ever!

Leaving the root account enabled, not recommended by Apple, seemingly prevents this bug to resurface. The side effect is that, if you look in the logs there is a failed authorization and then it succeeds in spite of that. Awesome Apple, one of the system process relies on the root account without password. Are you !@#$ serious!!

Cr00zng
11-29-2017, 10:52 AM
Also, we have a tendency to dismiss flaws like this by saying "...but it requires local access*". Actually, in this case, it doesn't... all I need to do is develop a compelling trojan that gets the user to execute. From there, I can make my malware run in the context of root and completely own the system. If a crafty hacker hasn't taken advantage of this yet (it's been at least 12-14 hours since this hit mass media), I'd be amazed.

Why hasn't Apple released an immediate patch that sets the root password (at the very least)? Their lack of action indicates a severe cultural problem at Apple surrounding security.
*-Emphasis mine...

Stand corrected... My excuse, old habits die hard... ;)

If you have remote management or screen sharing enabled, this bug works remotely as well. Argh!!!

cwa107
11-29-2017, 10:52 AM
This bug seems really bad...

Once you assign a password to the root account, it is seemingly a workaround for this bug. But, if you follow the recommendation of disabling the root account afterward, you might be in for a surprise.

Go ahead and try changing system settings, after the password is set and the root account disabled:

Type in root and no password for admin credentials in the authentication window and press enter
do the same again and voila, you have root access

At the first time, the system will enable the root account and sets the password to blank. At the second try, it'll just log you in, just like it worked initially. I've seen a lot of serious bugs before, but this one is the worst ever!

Leaving the root account enabled, not recommended by Apple, seemingly prevents this bug to resurface. The side effect is that, if you look in the logs there is a failed authorization and then it succeeds in spite of that. Awesome Apple, one of the system process relies on the root account without password. Are you !@#$ serious!!

Agreed. I am still in stunned disbelief.

Lifeisabeach
11-29-2017, 11:41 AM
This is the second time we had to move a post to a thread that already exists. Please guys and gals.... let's pay attention to what has already been posted. Also, this is the correct forum as it refers to macOS security.

Thanks.

Ah nuts. I checked but completely overlooked this sub-forum. I thought it was odd that no one else had seen and reported it yet. #facepalm

Lifeisabeach
11-29-2017, 11:44 AM
The funny thing is that you have to "enable" root before you can even change the password, and then in-turn, disable it.

From what I've read, you are re-enabling the flaw by disabling root, even after changing the password.

cwa107
11-29-2017, 11:51 AM
From what I've read, you are re-enabling the flaw by disabling root, even after changing the password.

Seriously... wow. How has Apple not patched this thing yet??!?

Lifeisabeach
11-29-2017, 02:00 PM
Seriously... wow. How has Apple not patched this thing yet??!?

It gets better. If you read through the comments for the Ars Technica article I linked to, someone casually posted a comment in Apple's developer forums 2 weeks ago using this bug as a solution to login issues. So it wasn't suddenly discovered yesterday.... it's been known for who knows how long.
https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/79235#277225

Apple has issued a security update today to patch this.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/new-security-update-fixes-macos-root-bug/

Raz0rEdge
11-29-2017, 02:49 PM
Critical fix has been released by Apple, visit the App Store and update immediately.

cwa107
11-29-2017, 02:52 PM
It gets better. If you read through the comments for the Ars Technica article I linked to, someone casually posted a comment in Apple's developer forums 2 weeks ago using this bug as a solution to login issues. So it wasn't suddenly discovered yesterday.... it's been known for who knows how long.
https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/79235#277225

Unbelievable! I mean, this is just inexcusable -- can you imagine the fallout if Microsoft left such a severe security hole unpatched for nearly 24 hours (since it was very publicly announced)?

Apple has issued a security update today to patch this.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/new-security-update-fixes-macos-root-bug/

Thanks for that.... I've been scanning my updates periodically, just grabbed it now. But really, if heads aren't rolling at Apple, they should be. This is one of the largest technology companies in the world, I can't understand how this even happens.

Cr00zng
11-29-2017, 04:11 PM
I've just installed the patch and tested it...

The patch does disable the root account, mine was enabled with password, and blank PWD does not work. Well, at least not after five tries. Yes, my honey-moon with macOS is over by now...:Not-Amused:;)

pm-r
11-29-2017, 04:39 PM
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/431316/dont-update-your-macos-until-this-major-security-flaw-is-fixed

Hmmm… typical erroneous Kim Komando type statement at the time with a posted subject showing "..-flaw-is-fixed" in the link.

But apparently has been now with a recent Apple Update update.

Opps, sorry Ashwin, I missed your earlier post somehow…

- Patrick
======

pm-r
11-29-2017, 04:52 PM
I've just installed the patch and tested it...

The patch does disable the root account, mine was enabled with password, and blank PWD does not work. Well, at least not after five tries. Yes, my honey-moon with macOS is over by now…:Not-Amused:;)

Mmmm…??? And to think I've been running my Macs for well over ten years without a username password.

It's actually quite nice not being nagged all the time but I do have to hit a keyboard key when asked. :Mischievous:

But not quite the same only using the Macs in a private household with only my wife as company compared to other situations. :[

- Patrick
======

Cr00zng
11-29-2017, 05:25 PM
MmmmÖ??? And to think I've been running my Macs for well over ten years without a username password.

It's actually quite nice not being nagged all the time but I do have to hit a keyboard key when asked. :Mischievous:

But not quite the same only using the Macs in a private household with only my wife as company compared to other situations. :[

- Patrick
======
I've only got a MacBook for supporting my clients, who have Mac and/or MacBook. Since my wife uses it for business purposes only by now, it is kept up to date and I can also learn things.Also dumped my Windows smartphone since despite the fact that I offered no support for iPhones, my clients kept asking me for helping them with the iPhones and pretty much had no choice. I missed my Windows 8.1 smartphone....

Here's a detailed look at the background for this bug, very detailed and easy to read:

https://objective-see.com/blog/blog_0x24.html

Coming from the Windows world, I didn't anticipate that macOS will start to look a lot like Windows. It's a harsh sentence and probably over the board, but I think that Apple should listen...

cwa107
11-29-2017, 06:08 PM
It's one thing to have no password on your account, it's another to allow a low-level system account that has completely unfettered access to go without a password. I believe OS X will still prompt you for administrator credentials even with no password.... but root is another story. As I said before, one doesn't need physical access to exploit a security flaw like that. All I have to do is get you to double-click on something as simple as a script that installs a service that runs as root. Then, I have a backdoor into your machine and I can make it do my bidding. Or, I can simply peruse your machine remotely to find files that I deem of value for any number of nefarious purposes.

Disabling root and setting a password is security for *nix 101. I can't even remember the last Linux distro I saw with a root account that allowed interactive sessions, it's probably been close to 20 years.

dtravis7
11-29-2017, 08:33 PM
I still can not understand why my iMac would not log me into root like that but who knows. It's obvious there was a fault and for many it did work. A patch did show up for it in software update on the imac and it's installed.

Also thank you Cr00zng for posting that URL. That showed exactly what it did and how it got in. Excellent info.

Rod Sprague
11-29-2017, 08:46 PM
There you go Dennis, tha advantages and disadvantages of not upgrading but I guess you've gone as far as you can. This morning i read an artical on iMore that states that the patch released by Apple for this "root" threat may have caused file sharing issues for some and they have published a fix for this. http://rss.tapatalk.com/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5mZWVkYnVybmVyLmNvbS9UaGVJcGhvbm VCbG9n/?p=004d2ec0fcec374c9d6499d9463b2733

Rod Sprague
11-29-2017, 08:48 PM
P.S. I didn't even know Apple had released a patch, shows how far behind I am.

dtravis7
11-29-2017, 09:00 PM
Rod thanks for that URL just in case I have that issue.

bertsau
11-30-2017, 09:24 AM
New security update and fix for root issue in 10.13.1 High Sierra available as of yesterday 2017/11/29

cwa107
11-30-2017, 10:03 AM
New security update and fix for root issue in 10.13.1 High Sierra available as of yesterday 2017/11/29

I think I just heard an echo :D

Lifeisabeach
11-30-2017, 10:43 AM
I think I just heard an echo :D

It gets better. I installed the update immediately when I saw it yesterday. This morning, I saw the update was posted AGAIN! I now have "Security Update 2007-001" installed twice. Because this bug is so severe, that patching it twice is the only way to be sure?

pm-r
11-30-2017, 02:03 PM
Because this bug is so severe, that patching it twice is the only way to be sure?

Or maybe you get one for each of the bugs???

One for the "root login" vulnerability and one to fix the possible "sharing" goof up??? :[

- Patrick
======

pm-r
11-30-2017, 02:08 PM
Because this bug is so severe, that patching it twice is the only way to be sure?

One for the "root login" vulnerability and one to fix the possible "sharing" goof up??? :[

Regardless, one may want to check that it/they did actually get installed properly:
To confirm that your Mac has Security Update 2017-001:

Open the Terminal app, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
Type what /usr/libexec/opendirectoryd and press Return.
If Security Update 2017-001 was installed successfully, you will see one of these project version numbers:
opendirectoryd-483.1.5 on macOS High Sierra 10.13
opendirectoryd-483.20.7 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.1
If you require the root user account on your Mac, you will need to re-enable the root user and change the root user's password after this update.
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208315

- Patrick
======

chscag
11-30-2017, 03:38 PM
It gets better. I installed the update immediately when I saw it yesterday. This morning, I saw the update was posted AGAIN! I now have "Security Update 2007-001" installed twice. Because this bug is so severe, that patching it twice is the only way to be sure?

Same here. However, I suspect they (Apple) screwed up the first patch. Like I stated above, my system acted strange after the first patch and when I rebooted it came up and gave me the "Welcome" routine just as if I installed a new version of macOS. However, the second download of the patch was different in that my system acted normal and did not require a reboot.

Very sneaky of Apple to release a "patch" for the "patch" and call it the same thing! What the heck is going on at Cupertino? :Not-Amused:

ProTruckDriver
11-30-2017, 04:01 PM
Very sneaky of Apple to release a "patch" for the "patch" and call it the same thing! What the heck is going on at Cupertino? :Not-Amused:

Your guess is as good as mine. But heads should roll with this major screw up. :Angry:

pm-r
11-30-2017, 05:21 PM
Very sneaky of Apple to release a "patch" for the "patch" and call it the same thing!

Not exactly the first time they have done a similar thing. :Not-Amused:

What the heck is going on at Cupertino?

Maybe they should open an office north of the 49th for some of their good programmers to escape to, just as Microsoft and some other's have done and the practice is seemingly increasing.

- Patrick
======

Lifeisabeach
11-30-2017, 06:07 PM

One for the "root login" vulnerability and one to fix the possible "sharing" goof up???

That was my thought, but I can’t connect to the shared volume on my iMac even though I can otherwise use “Share Screen” on it from the button in Finder. This started after the “first” update, and the second hasn’t resolved it.

MacInWin
11-30-2017, 06:37 PM
The two updates were first to fix the root login problem, then the second was to fix the shared volume issue that the first fix created, even though there was a work around for it, too. If both fixes are applied, you will be at 10.13.1 (17B1003) release. I think Apple was pretty quick to sort the issue. Letting it out into the wild was a mistake, for sure, but they reacted quickly once it was known.

And my experience was that both applied just fine, no strange behavior at all.

pm-r
11-30-2017, 08:57 PM
@Lifeisabeach

but I canít connect to the shared volume on my iMac

I've been having the same "file sharing" type problems off and on for the last few days between some of our LAN Macs and none are even close to running High Sierra and some can't!!!

- Patrick
======

Lifeisabeach
12-01-2017, 12:18 AM
The two updates were first to fix the root login problem, then the second was to fix the shared volume issue that the first fix created, even though there was a work around for it, too.

Eh, I still like the idea that they had to "shoot" the bug twice... just to be sure. ;D

pm-r
12-01-2017, 12:29 AM
Eh, I still like the idea that they had to "shoot" the bug twice... just to be sure. ;D

Or just in case they thought their "fix" wasn't…. :[

- Patrick
======

Lifeisabeach
12-02-2017, 12:38 AM
Well this saga gets better. If you applied the security update but had yet to apply the update to 10.13.1, guess what happens when you DO apply the 10.13.1 update? The bug RETURNS!

Updating macOS can bring back the nasty “root” security bug (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/12/updating-macos-can-bring-back-the-nasty-root-security-bug/)

chscag
12-02-2017, 01:01 AM
Just like real bugs... hard to get rid of em! Even after you spray, they keep coming back. LOL.

dtravis7
12-02-2017, 02:22 AM
I did not have the issue with the network shares. I logged into the HS iMac with all my macs and even PC's. Maybe I was lucky but put in the 2nd patch just in case.

And funny one chscag!

I have had more bugs BTW as a Windows 10 insider with some of the builds than I have ever had with OSX/Mac OS Beta's. Once for 2 months I had no sound and the laptop was a Toshiba with standard Intel HD Audio! It literally took 2 months to get back my sound! :D

pm-r
12-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Well this saga gets better. If you applied the security update but had yet to apply the update to 10.13.1, guess what happens when you DO apply the 10.13.1 update? The bug RETURNS!
… [/URL]

That and some other sites made me wonder what the current software programmer opportunities were at Apple, but I didn't bother searching for any for "Quality Control" but are lots of openings, and I do have to smile at their "home" page":

It’s what we do together
that sets us apart.
We’re perfectionists. Idealists. Inventors. Forever tinkering with products and processes, always on the lookout for better. Whether you work at one of our global offices, offsite, or even at home, a job at Apple will be demanding. But it also rewards bright, original thinking and hard work. And none of us here would have it any other way.
https://www.apple.com/jobs/us/corporate.html

but wow:

600+ jobs found
https://jobs.apple.com/us/search?jobFunction=SFWEG#&t=0&sb=req_open_dt&so=1&j=SFWEG&lo=0*USA&pN=0

That seems like a lot, but I guess there's lots of room now with their new Apple Park offices etc. and they have lots of devices and projects and OSs etc.to support.

PS: what's that expression about mishaps coming in threes???? :Oops:

- Patrick
======

Rod Sprague
12-03-2017, 06:15 AM
I too had heard that the first patch may cause file sharing issues but I think there was a fix published by Apple using Terminal. Found in this article. http://rss.tapatalk.com/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5mZWVkYnVybmVyLmNvbS9UaGVJcGhvbm VCbG9n/?p=004d2ec0fcec374c9d6499d9463b2733

MacInWin
12-03-2017, 06:22 AM
Yes, and Apple also issued a revised update that fixed the sharing. There was some confusion because Apple didn't change the release number, just the build number, for that second update.

MacInWin
12-03-2017, 06:24 AM
That seems like a lot, but I guess there's lots of room now with their new Apple Park offices etc. and they have lots of devices and projects and OSs etc.to support.
Patrick, they have 123,000 employees, so having 600 openings is pretty amazing! That means that they are 99.995% staffed.

pm-r
12-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Patrick, they have 123,000 employees, so having 600 openings is pretty amazing! That means that they are 99.995% staffed.

Yes Charlie, but only a fraction of those 123,000 employees are actually involved as engineers or programmers/developers.

And then it takes an outside developer mucking about and checking stuff out to discover a rather big security hole. But that's good that there's a few users like that that end up doing some OS quality control. :Mischievous:

What I don't understand is why they seem to change or drop so much code with a newer OS rather than keep or improve the previous software.

Even the number of older printers/scanners etc. come to mind that become useless when the technology and language for sending/receiving the code to work hasn't really changed that much. I do however think that money may have something to do with it. Big understatement there I think!!! :Oops:

- Patrick
======

MacInWin
12-03-2017, 04:23 PM
Patrick, either Charlie or I am offended, since you called me him. I suspect it's him that's offended. :)

As for dropping code, I'm very glad they do that. Otherwise the whole system gets bloated. If all they did was to comment out the old code and leave it there, when compiled it would be kept in as comments, bloating the size of the OS. Windows does that all the time. Apple takes an approach that technology more than 6-7 years old is antiquated and too much trouble to maintain. The problem is, of course, that the hardware they build is so rugged and reliable, that even though it is getting a bit long in the tooth, it's still functioning. So they are caught in a dilemma: Do they abandon models that still work, or do they dumb down new features and functions to work in those old devices, at the expense of not working as well in the new devices due to bloat. Microsoft took the latter approach and the result is a very bloated Windows operating system that has code in every install that gets used in maybe 5% of the systems, but can break 100% of them. And which presents security opportunities for hackers to penetrate the system. Apple uses the former approach of just cutting the cord, figuring that most user can and will upgrade before a system gets to be 7 years old.

Of course the beauty of Apple hardware is that when Apple no longer supports it in the new releases of the OS, it will still be supported for a few years with patches, and after that you can always install Windows on it, or Linux, and keep going as a system for years past that.

pm-r
12-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Patrick, either Charlie or I am offended, since you called me him. I suspect it's him that's offended. :)
… … …

Oh my God!!! My apologies to you both!!

My mind was on an earlier post and was confused. Easy thing to happen for me.

Sorry guys.

- Patrick
======

chscag
12-03-2017, 07:52 PM
LOL, that's what's known as a senior moment Patrick.

And no, I'm not offended. :)

MacInWin
12-04-2017, 02:43 AM
Nor I, Patrick. (But I was concerned about Charlie!)

pm-r
12-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Oh my God!!! My apologies to you both!!

My mind was on an earlier post and was confused. Easy thing to happen for me.

Sorry guys.

- Patrick
======

LOL, that's what's known as a senior moment Patrick.

And no, I'm not offended. :)

Nor I, Patrick. (But I was concerned about Charlie!)

Phew, that's all a relief and thanks.

I'll try and pay attention to what I'm typing in the future. Unfortunately I can't blame auto-spell-check for my last goof up. :Cool:

- Patrick
======

MacInWin
12-04-2017, 08:08 PM
So, Patrick, will you now give Apple a little more grace about making mistakes????

Just kidding, we know that ain't happening...

dtravis7
12-04-2017, 09:08 PM
So, Patrick, will you now give Apple a little more grace about making mistakes????

I have been a Microsoft Insider since they started the program at least 1 year before Windows 10 was out. If you had some of the bugs I had with the builds, it makes any mistakes Apple has made even with their betas seem minor. No sound on a new laptop with INTEL HD AUDIO! 2 months with no sound! Amazing! :D Grin

Slydude
12-04-2017, 09:43 PM
I have been a Microsoft Insider since they started the program at least 1 year before Windows 10 was out.
Boy are you a glutton for punishment. LOL

dtravis7
12-04-2017, 09:55 PM
Boy are you a glutton for punishment. LOL

Yes, I have the bruises to show it too! hahahahha! :D

pm-r
12-04-2017, 11:27 PM

Actually I do at times, but don't usually broadcast it much, well, if at all…, OK…, maybe hardly ever… :Lips-Are-Sealed: :Mischievous:

- Patrick
======

dtravis7
12-05-2017, 12:00 AM
Actually I do at times, but don't usually broadcast it much, well, if at all…, OK…, maybe hardly ever… :Lips-Are-Sealed: :Mischievous:

- Patrick
======

Pat, or you could be that blind fanboy that is no longer on the forums that lives near you. We do not allow his name mentioned so keep it quiet but thought it might make you laugh! :D Grin

pm-r
12-05-2017, 01:06 AM
Pat, or you could be that blind fanboy that is no longer on the forums that lives near you. We do not allow his name mentioned so keep it quiet but thought it might make you laugh! :D Grin

Not bloody likely thanks Dennis, and that arrogant person was my nemesis who finally earned the sub name "Banned" here on this forum I believe, and thank God he lives in the south area of Victoria, a safe distance away unless he's been asked to leave the city.

And no, to be honest, no laughing matter at all as far as I'm concerned, but not offended here.

- Patrick
======

Groovetube
12-05-2017, 08:52 AM
Not bloody likely thanks Dennis, and that arrogant person was my nemesis who finally earned the sub name "Banned" here on this forum I believe, and thank God he lives in the south area of Victoria, a safe distance away unless he's been asked to leave the city.

And no, to be honest, no laughing matter at all as far as I'm concerned, but not offended here.

- Patrick
======

hmmm. I won't mention his name either. ;)

Apple seems to be making far more mistakes for me, I used to upgrade my OSs much quicker a long time ago (I recall installing Tiger the day it came out) Now I'm careful about that. I do wish though that the update thingy would stop nagging me to update to high Sierra every couple days!

Still doesn't come close to the Microsoft debacle though.

ProTruckDriver
12-05-2017, 10:40 AM
Still doesn't come close to the Microsoft debacle though.
Yeah, tell me about it. I'm going through one now on my two Win 7 computers, can't get updates. Microsoft screw's up again. Thank God I have a Mac as my main computer. My wife get her first Apple computer early next year, don't know what we're getting yet. :)

pm-r
12-05-2017, 02:31 PM
hmmm. I won't mention his name either. ;)

I believe he was also banned from the ehmac.ca forums when the "mayor" was running it. That was also a nice relief. :Evil:

Apple seems to be making far more mistakes for me, I used to upgrade my OSs much quicker a long time ago (I recall installing Tiger the day it came out) Now I'm careful about that. I do wish though that the update thingy would stop nagging me to update to high Sierra every couple days!

If you mean the Software Update or App Store Update, I was able to get the nagging stopped my command, or option or control clicking on the "install" link of something.

I'd have to google for the proper method, and if it still works.

Or, do the download but don't let it run and then move and hide it somewhere for if and when you do might want to use it.

- Patrick
======

Groovetube
12-05-2017, 03:48 PM
I believe he was also banned from the ehmac.ca forums when the "mayor" was running it. That was also a nice relief. :Evil:

If you mean the Software Update or App Store Update, I was able to get the nagging stopped my command, or option or control clicking on the "install" link of something.

I'd have to google for the proper method, and if it still works.

Or, do the download but don't let it run and then move and hide it somewhere for if and when you do might want to use it.

- Patrick
======

He really rubbed people the wrong way didn't he, everywhere he went!

Anyway... Im hoping the upgrade OS nags are only a few times and then they stop. If not, if anyone knows how to stop it that'd be swell. I have no plans until another point release. But they're popping these things out so fast they might be on to another OS ;) My music/Pro tools machine is firmly El Cap for now with no plans to move it because it's working great.

pm-r
12-05-2017, 06:43 PM
Anyway... Im hoping the upgrade OS nags are only a few times and then they stop. If not, if anyone knows how to stop it that'd be swell.

Are you getting the nag to install if HS has already been downloaded via Notifications or from the App Store nagging to download??

Maybe have a read here:
How to Prevent macOS High Sierra from Automatically Downloading
http://osxdaily.com/2017/11/21/prevent-macos-high-sierra-automatic-download/

And,
How to stop Apple from automatically downloading new software for your Mac
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-macos-sierra-how-to-turn-off-automatic-updates-2016-10/#start-in-system-preferences-1

or more hits via:
https://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=how+to+stop+apple+high+sierra+update+nag&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=1RwnWu6xFs_M8geE84WQDg

What you also probably want to prevent and be aware of is HS doing its download and install thing almost behind your back as Apple seems to be promoting and attempted jamming down ones throat as if the nagging wasn't enough. Gheese!!! :Angry:

- Patrick
======

Groovetube
12-05-2017, 07:04 PM
I have that stuff turned off afaik. Just the nags. Perhaps it'll stop after so many?

pm-r
12-05-2017, 07:15 PM
I have that stuff turned off afaik. Just the nags. Perhaps it'll stop after so many?

Personally I'd do some double checking and I sure wouldn't assume it would stop on its own. :Not-Amused:

- Patrick
======

Lifeisabeach
12-06-2017, 02:41 PM

Eh? Assuming I know to whom you refer (and I'm sure I do), I thought it was odd to see nothing from him lately, even given my own rare appearances these days. It's a shame, he's pretty smart and quite often had a lot of valuable input, but those blinders of his... sheesh. I do empathize a little with him even though we butted heads a few times. I know the worst of me gets out once in a while. Well maybe not the absolute worst, but I've had my moments.

dtravis7
12-06-2017, 10:44 PM
Eh? Assuming I know to whom you refer (and I'm sure I do), I thought it was odd to see nothing from him lately, even given my own rare appearances these days. It's a shame, he's pretty smart and quite often had a lot of valuable input, but those blinders of his... sheesh. I do empathize a little with him even though we butted heads a few times. I know the worst of me gets out once in a while. Well maybe not the absolute worst, but I've had my moments.

You are a great user. I hope to see more of you here!