Bandwidths switching automatically

Reaction score
Not sure when it started but my dual bandwidth router keeps changing on my iPhone and iPad. So I set them to say 2.4ghz and at some point see that it's switched to 5ghz. Doesn't seem to do it the other way so if I choose 5ghz they stay on it. iPhone is on ios 11 and iPad on 10.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Are you using the same SSID for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies? One way your iPhone or iPad would switch bands is if the name (SSID) of both your networks (2.4 and 5) were the same. The iPhone and iPad would then lock on to the one frequency it considered the strongest. You can go into your router and change that. You can also go into the router and turn off the 5 GHz network but that is rather drastic.

OP
P
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

Are you using the same SSID for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies? One way your iPhone or iPad would switch bands is if the name (SSID) of both your networks (2.4 and 5) were the same. The iPhone and iPad would then lock on to the one frequency it considered the strongest. You can go into your router and change that. You can also go into the router and turn off the 5 GHz network but that is rather drastic.

No I named the 2.4 as 24bandwidth and left the default long name tp-link gave the 5ghz. But surely even if I left the default names they are both different as the names start with their respective speeds?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the names are different and if you're using WPA-PSK and a strong password, your iPhone and iPad should not switch networks unless you have been on both networks and the devices remember the passwords. I have the same setup here at home with 2 iPhones, an iPad and an iMac and none of my devices will switch networks unless I direct them to. What's probably happening is your devices are jumping on whichever network is putting out the strongest signal.

It could also be that something is interferring with your 2.4 GHz network and your iPhone and iPad switch to the 5 GHz network. If this is a problem for you, just use the 5 GHz network.

OP
P
Reaction score
If the names are different and if you're using WPA-PSK and a strong password, your iPhone and iPad should not switch networks unless you have been on both networks and the devices remember the passwords. I have the same setup here at home with 2 iPhones, an iPad and an iMac and none of my devices will switch networks unless I direct them to. What's probably happening is your devices are jumping on whichever network is putting out the strongest signal.

It could also be that something is interferring with your 2.4 GHz network and your iPhone and iPad switch to the 5 GHz network. If this is a problem for you, just use the 5 GHz network.[/QUOTE

Not sure I understand the part about being on both networks and remembering passwords. Do you mean my Join for the router? I have to use the digits on the underside of my router to join. It can't be switching due to a stronger signal as I notice it has switched to 5ghz because the wifi signal is weaker. Our bedroom is about 20 meters from the adsl wifi router and passes through two walls which are quite thick limestone blocks hence the weaker signal at 5ghz. It's a TP-link Archer D9 which is a wireless ac 1900 modem/router. 600/1300 and I've always used their gear. It's inexpensive and totally reliable. As to passwords well in the routers settings I put in my username and password for my SP.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If you don't mind a modest degree of hassle, on each iDevice you could go in to Settings > General > Reset > "Reset Network Settings".

This will NOT affect any data or other settings on your iDevices, simply erase/reset your Network Settings.

Then go into Settings > Wi-Fi on your iPhone and iPad, and from the list of signal options, choose only the 2.4GHz one. Ignore the 5GHz.

The hassle factor is minimal - but if you have numerous outside Wi-Fi settings (family, friends etc) they will have to be set up again.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.