PDA

View Full Version : Problems importing media to mac

Farmer Pug
11-14-2017, 02:46 PM
I have tried recently to import video files from my camera to my imac via final cut pro x.
In the past this is something which never caused any issues. However recenlty i get this message:

The camera is a sony DSC-HX100V which saves in AVCHD format. I normally plug the SD card into the back of the mac and import media that way, however this time the mac didnt recgonise the video files on the SD card when i browsed for them on finder. The card has been formatted on the camera.
i had to remove the files on a windows computer and use handbrake to convert them to MP4, this was strange as final cut could show the video files were there, finder and image capture couldnt.

I have now tried to import videos with my iphone and am getting similar issues, final cut wont show any video footage of new video clips:
This is the clips when imported:

The same video clip when imported into photos
This is a clip recorded on an iphone 7, i have never had such issues in the past:

mrplow
11-15-2017, 10:39 AM
OK. I think these maybe two separate issues.

For the Sony import - is Image Capture able to copy the file(s) across to your Mac?

For the iPhone import - What version of Mac OS do you have? I suspect the issue here is that you're recording in HEVC (iOS 11) but the version of Mac OS you're running can't read HEVC.

Again - Can Image Capture import these files OK.
Is final cut up to date?

Farmer Pug
11-15-2017, 02:13 PM
Hi there

These are the versions of what i am running
Late 2013 Imac with OSX High Sierra 10.13.1
Iphone 7 with iOS 11.1.1
Final Cut Pro X 10.3.4
Photos 3.0

Everything is up to date, and i suspect these issues have happened since the most recent import.

Image capture nor fineder would show up the media on the sony cameras SD card, final cut would show it was there but wouldnt import it. I had to import it on a seperate windows computer, convert to MP4 and bring it back to the mac.
Trying again tonight if i plug the SD card into the back of the mac finder shows its there but will not show any raw footage files, only final cut shows that it has footage but i cant import it

The iphone ive changed the camera resolution to 1080p 60, now photos and image capture work fine, but final cut will still not show its footage. Having said that previously the iphone sat at 4K resolution when recording videos and no programs had any issues.

One other device i have tried is my Gopro hero 5 black, if i plug its SD card into the imac it works fine, footage imports into final cut without any issues.

mrplow
11-16-2017, 10:37 AM
iOS 11 brought HEVC packaged video. Final Cut has yet to be updated to handle HEVC. An update is expected 'soon'. As a workaround you can change back to MP4 in Settings - Camera - Format - Most Compatible for all future recordings.
In the interim I think Handbrake can transcode from HEVC containers.

The Sony issue is an odd one. Finder should show the files on the card regardless of type. Do you know what file system the SD card has been formatted to?