PDA

View Full Version : Downloads Folder

big-dumb-al
10-17-2017, 08:29 PM
Hello,

Newbie, looking for wisdom. I am trying to clean up the downloads folder on my desktop. Can you safely delete all of the disk images? Most of them have a .dmg Better yet, how can I tell what to delete?

Any information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

Al

harryb2448
10-17-2017, 10:46 PM
G'day and welcome to the forums.

If you have installed the software/apps, then go ahead and delete them. Once upon a time, last century, one used to burn all the .dmg files to a rewritable CD but today with updates every time we turn around, not worth the effort. What operating system as the folder should not be on the desktop but in the M<enu Bar > Go and Downloads is usually a side window. I am sure you know having too many folders o your Desktop can slow your Mac down.

IWT
10-18-2017, 05:29 AM
Welcome to our Forums, big-dumb-al.

Harry, I think that the OP possibly meant "Dock" instead of "Desktop"?? It certainly shouldn't be on the Desktop.

Ian

harryb2448
10-18-2017, 04:27 PM
Who knows Ian? One can only respond to the information supplied. Al is it Desktop or Dock?

The Dock is simply an alias, or shortcut mot then program/folder itself. Drag it off the Dock and it will vanish in a puff of smoke. You will then of course need to know how to access it.

Rod Sprague
10-18-2017, 10:42 PM
So Al, by all means trash em. I too used to hang onto them for fear I might not be able to find the app again or I might need to reinstall but these days everything is updated so frequently these .dmg (installer packages) become outdated so quickly there is simply no point.

big-dumb-al
10-23-2017, 09:14 PM
Thank you to everybody that responded. I appreciate your time and energy. Enjoy your day!

badshoehabit
10-24-2017, 07:28 AM
Just emptied Downloads - wish clearing the clutter in the house was as easy!

toMACsh
10-24-2017, 01:49 PM
Best way is to start over.
New computer
New house