PDA

View Full Version : Old fool, still afraid of Apple Mac Sierra

ckristoff
10-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Hello friends,

I'm still confused about how to start using my Mac. Ok, I have a USB adapter, with 4 USB3 ports, which I haven't used yet. Am I correct in thinking that each port is assigned to a particular pereipheral, which must not be swapped to a different port? So If I now need to take off 1 of my peripherals in order to plug in my new adapter; I'm assuming I need to tell my Mac that a peripheral is being disconnected and then I plug it into another port. How do I do this please?

When I get my act together, I need to set up my Canon 7D camera, with Canon's DPP software, which I believe I need to download. When I finally get round to doing this, I need to start using Photoshop Elements. Then I would like to store my photos into organised folders on my desktop. Can you please advise how I do this?

On the bottom of the screen, there is a folder which shows downloads. When I click on it, it opens up several folders, some of which are duplicates? How do I delete files I don't wish to keep?

Last question for now. I have an external hard drive, so if I transfer files onto this ( how do I do this ), I can delete them, so no space is wasted on Apple Mac storage. I can even store some files on the Cloud, can you explain how to do this - I've never used cloud.

I thank you in advance for all your help. One day I'll stop asking questions!:)

Frank.

IWT
10-05-2017, 11:15 AM
Hi Frank

I'm still confused about how to start using my Mac. Ok, I have a USB adapter, with 4 USB3 ports, which I haven't used yet. Am I correct in thinking that each port is assigned to a particular pereipheral, which must not be swapped to a different port? So If I now need to take off 1 of my peripherals in order to plug in my new adapter; I'm assuming I need to tell my Mac that a peripheral is being disconnected and then I plug it into another port. How do I do this please?

When you connect - we normally use the word "mount" - a peripheral, say, a USB stick or External Hard Drive (EHD), this will usually show up as an icon on your Desktop.

If it doesn't, you can arrange for this to happen. Go into Finder > Preferences > General and check the boxes as shown below.

When you wish to disconnect/unmount a peripheral, Right Click on the Desktop icon and choose "Eject". There are other ways of achieving the same result, but the bottom line is that you must "Eject" the item before disconnecting.

This applies whether you are connecting directly to the Mac or via a Hub.

When I get my act together, I need to set up my Canon 7D camera

You don't have to download any software because Apple should automatically recognise the camera, bring up thumbnails of your pictures, and allow you to download them to wherever you want - for this you would be best using "Image Capture" found in Applications > Image Capture.

But - why not import them into the ready-made and designed Apple "Photos" app where you can edit to your heart's content? The edit facilities available are pretty close to Elements, and free.

And please don't "Store" anything on your Desktop. It is a working space and is not designed for storage, and certainly not organised folders of photos. Store things like photos in "Pictures" or the "Photos app" for which it is ideally suited. It does it all for you. Organises, recognises Faces, creates memories and lots more.

All other things generally go into "Documents".

On the bottom of the screen, there is a folder which shows downloads

Downloads Folder should be considered as temporary storage only. Go into Finder and on the left you will see "Downloads". Click to open. Either move things into Documents (or Photos) that you want to keep. To delete - click to highlight and use Command + Backspace. This moves things to the Trash.

I have an external hard drive, so if I transfer files onto this ( how do I do this )

Mount the External Hard Drive (EHD). To move data, highlight it then:

1. Drag and Drop them onto the EHD icon (on the Desktop).

2. Copy/Paste them to the EHD, then delete the originals (better if you have shaky hands!). (Copy is Command C. Paste is Command V)

NB. If you move data from your Mac to the EHD, your only copy is on that EHD - no Backup (BU).

One day I'll stop asking questions

Don't do that; keep asking.

Ian

ckristoff
10-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Hello Ian,

thank you so much for your wonderful answers. To make sure that I don't forget them, I've figured out how to print this thread, using Command P!

I think I do need to download the Canon software, as I would like to use DPP and Eos Utilities, with the camera.

Frank.

ckristoff
10-05-2017, 01:33 PM
Ok friends,

I'm trying to do things and I'm stuck.

1. I went to www.canon.co.uk. I want to download the DPP software to use with my 7D. I thought I downloaded something, but it's only an image called -
dppm3.15-O-updater.dmg. Now when I click on it, there's no response. What dmg means, I just don't know. I went to finder, and somehow found the image file, which I tried to click on again. Page opens, and it asks insert the software disc. Now my camera is 7 years old and I simply cannot find the disc for it. I've phoned Canon support, who are very busy, so I left message, hoping they ring me back.

2. I then looked for Canon i9950 printer, using search. Apparently my Mac cannot find it! For the printer, I found the programme disc and inserted it into my Apple disc drive. That's as far as I have got. I don't think I can find the disc drive on my Mac, and it has a disc inside it, which I don't know how to eject. Can you please help me?

Frank.

badshoehabit
10-05-2017, 02:04 PM
I found the programme disc and inserted it into my Apple disc drive. That's as far as I have got. I don't think I can find the disc drive on my Mac, and it has a disc inside it, which I don't know how to eject. Can you please help me?

Open Finder and the disk will be listed. It should load automatically but try again. Click on the up arrow beside it to eject.

Will have a look at the Canon website and see if I can find anything useful. Beware, though, that older Canon printers and camera may not be compatible with the latest OS on Macs.

Later

That printer is not compatible with Sierra... https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/printers/inkjet/i_series/bubble_jet_i9950.aspx?type=drivers&language=&os=macOS%2010.12%20(Sierra)

It is possible to fool the Mac into loading an update for images without the original software disc but it's complicated. http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/install-canon-camera-software-without-cd/

Have a look at Photos, as Ian suggests. It has an adaptable filing system and has a good editing suite and can be used with PS Elements for anything more elaborate. I am a keen photographer and rarely use PSE. I'd seriously recommend a Photos session with your Apple Store.

ckristoff
10-05-2017, 02:18 PM
Hello Sue,

so the printer ain't compatible? What do I do now? My wife will not entertain that I buy a new printer!

Frank.

badshoehabit
10-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Ho hum...how about next month? You will get a modern, wifi printer for about 60. Honestly, if I were you, I'd hotfoot back to Curry's, tell them they sold you iCloud and virus software you did not need and you want a printer for nothing as your old one is not compatible. Shy bairns get nowt!

ckristoff
10-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Wow, I was expecting to hear such news!

Still, I have a disc stuck in my Mac disc drive and I don't know how to get the disc out!

Frank.

IWT
10-05-2017, 03:35 PM
Hullo again, Frank.

Still, I have a disc stuck in my Mac disc drive and I don't know how to get the disc out!

Assuming your Mac's specifications are, as advertised under your name, then you must be using a third party Disk Drive. It's many years since iMacs had an internal optical drive.

Look at your Desktop. If your Finder settings are as I suggested above (post #2), then your Disk Drive will visible. Right click on the Disk Drive icon and choose "Eject" from the menu.

If it's not on your Desktop, then open Finder and, on the left, under devices, your Disk Drive should be shown. Do the same thing; Right click, choose Eject.

Ian

ckristoff
10-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Hello Ian, I definitely purchased an Apple Superdrive, but in Finder, I only see Remote Disc. Also my right clicker isn't on, as I don't know how to do it. So I still don't know how to eject the disc.

Dare I say, I simply unplug the USB cable and try to install it again? I'm feeling quite deflated and useless - especially as my photo printer isn't compatible. I've asked friends on a photo forum, to see if there's a workaround that I can use.

Frank.

pigoo3
10-05-2017, 04:25 PM
My wife will not entertain that I buy a new printer!

I think that the wife will be ok with a new printer...if you get her a new fur coat or diamond ring. Or I'm pretty sure Sue will agree...a new pair of shoes!;) Lol

- Nick

IWT
10-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Hi Frank

Also my right clicker isn't on, as I don't know how to do it.

In one of your other threads, I explained how you could arrange the settings so that you had Left Click and Right Click on your Mouse OR Left Click only and Control + Click.

I am assuming you can see the Super Drive? - it must have a CD/DVD inserted to be visible; but you say that such a disk is in the Super Drive; so it should show on your Desktop (if your settings are as I suggested above - post #2.) Or in Finder).

If you can see the Super Drive, try holding down the Control key and then Click on the Super Drive icon - choose Eject. (the Control key is the second from the left, bottom row of your keyboard).

If your Super Drive cannot be seen on the Desktop nor in Finder - how is it connected to your Mac? By USB, obviously, but directly to the Mac or via the Hub?

There is a way to force-eject the Disk from Super Drive, but I don't want to advise on that till I know whether you can see it & how it is connected.

I'm feeling quite deflated and useless

We've all been there with new things. Don't give up, friend. It'll all work out.

Ian

badshoehabit
10-05-2017, 05:52 PM
I'm wondering if you have the superdrive the right way up - which is with the Apple logo on the underside (don't ask), the writing on the disk uppermost. If the logo is on top and you inserted the disc thinking it was the 'right way up', it wasn't. (I did that.) The drive won't read the disc but you can still eject the disc. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht201788

Maybe you are trying to do too much at once - printing, disc drives, downloads, etc. Get to know the keyboard and set up the mouse to do what you want, then advance onto other things. We were all new starters once.

IWT
10-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Good point about the Super Drive being right way up, Sue.

I can't recall the number of times I've mentioned this in the past. Interesting that in June 2017, Apple senses the need to emphasise this point in the article you linked. The Super Drive has been around for a good few years.

Proof that its design doesn't intuitively suggest which side should be uppermost.

Ian

harryb2448
10-06-2017, 02:13 AM
Reboot the Mini and hold down the mouse button and see if it pops out Problem can be caused by, as suggested, popping a DVD/CD in upside down, or using printed labels on the disc.

ckristoff
10-06-2017, 02:05 PM
Hello Sue,

I've just clicked on Finder, it shows Remote Disc, but has no arrow next to it. I expected it to say Apple Superdrive, for example, as I DO have the Apple product.

The software disc is still inside the disc drive - I've got no clue what to do, and I feel miserable.

Frank.

ckristoff
10-06-2017, 02:17 PM
Hello Ian,

my Superdrive is connected directly to the Mac, via USB. I attempted your advised Control key and click on the icon, and selected " eject only Remote Disc ", but nothing has happened. The other thing I can mention, is that the Superdrive has no light in it, as if it may be faulty?

I remember your reply to my right mouse click, I got confused. Maybe I ought to try Left Click only and Control and Click. Have I already done that, with the Control button?

Frank.

badshoehabit
10-06-2017, 02:22 PM
I think that's because the disc is in the wrong way round - the drive won't show unless it has a recognisable disc. This is how mine appears when it has a disc inserted - OPTD111.

Follow Harry's suggestion to eject it.
Reboot the Mini and hold down the mouse button and see if it pops out Problem can be caused by, as suggested, popping a DVD/CD in upside down, or using printed labels on the disc.

You may also have a key on your keyboard with an icon that looks like an up arrow with a single line underneath (as on my pic above) - that's the eject button.

No light on the drive - you get a whir sound when it's working.

Please don't be disheartened. It's only a machine and you will win in the end. My freezer died overnight so I've spent all day trying to buy a new one to fit the space (success) and rescuing as much food as possible (a lot in the bin). The pets are benefiting!

ckristoff
10-06-2017, 02:38 PM
Hello Sue, thank you for that link. I've just discovered that this keyboard has an eject button on the top right corner. Very clever and super duper! :D.

So, I do have my Superdrive the right way up, and I did insert the disc correctly. My question is, do I put a music CD in the drive to see how it sounds on the Mac? By playing Youtube videos, I find the sound quality of my Mac very pleasing. Or I'll wait until tomorrow!

AS for doing too much at once? I simply want to use my Mac, in a similar fashion to how I used my PC. I ain't computer literate, so I can't achieve much to begin with. My son would say I'm boring.

I would like to thank all my friends here for your very patient help - I am grateful.

Frank.

ckristoff
10-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Hello Sue, thank you for your time. I'm sorry to hear about your freezer experience. That happened to us some years ago; our freezer died through the night, before Christmas Eve! We lost loads of food, but managed to get a replacement freezer, the same day!

I discovered the eject button - what a dream! I'm sure PCs don't have that!

Frank.

badshoehabit
10-06-2017, 02:49 PM
YES SUCCESS!!! You can play music, watch films and load software with the Super drive. It opens automatically and may take up all the screen. To access the dock again, press 'esc' key. Turn the sound up all the way to 11 - Spinal Tap was the disc I put in mine to see what appeared in Finder!

ckristoff
10-06-2017, 02:56 PM
Hello friends,

thank you all for your kind help. This forum is really one of the friendliest on the 'net, and I am grateful.

Yes, the superdrive is only a machine, but thanks to the advice I've received, I discover this keyboard has an eject button - marvellous! Now I'm wondering, if I'm brave enough to put a music CD in the drive? I'd better stick to Youtube for now!

I've ordered a book from Amazon, written by a nice lady who will help me in this transition from going from PC to Apple Mac. I should have it by Monday.

Feeling happier than I did last night!

Frank.

ckristoff
10-06-2017, 03:02 PM
Wow! Look at you, Sue! Spinal Tap? I've heard of it, it may be a bit wild for me! I like Beatles, Beach Boys and lots of 60's music at best. Also Pink Floyd and Blues music, especially modern electric blues guitar. I don't do much with films - I'm boring.

So the Superdrive simply works automatically? Why is there no icon for it on the desktop, like My Passport for Mac hard drive?

Frank.

nickyr
10-06-2017, 06:20 PM
So the Superdrive simply works automatically? Why is there no icon for it on the desktop, like My Passport for Mac hard drive?

Open the Finder.
In the menu bar click on Finder and then Preferences
Then in the General Tab make sure the box alongside "CD's, DVD's and iPods" is ticked

Whenever you insert a disc in your superdrive an icon will show up on your desktop. Without a disc there is no icon as there's no media to show.

nickyr
10-06-2017, 06:23 PM
This forum is really one of the friendliest on the 'net,

you're not wrong there. this is a really nice place :-)

badshoehabit
10-07-2017, 08:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMSV4OteqBE

This is the classic clip of 'goes up to 11'. The film is hilarious, even funnier 30+ years after release.

ckristoff
10-08-2017, 04:32 PM
Hello Sue,

I just watched that clip - very good.

OK, I gave my Mac a rest for past 2 days.

What I need to get in my head now, is to learn how to bookmark Favourite websites, as I go along.

I need to learn how to use photos on here. I haven't connected my camera yet. I suppose I save new photos, to the Photos programme on the dock; then I'll save them to the external hard drive and delete them from Photos on the dock?

I've seen a programme on here called Garage Band - not too sure how I'll use this; I have 3 guitars, but can't play very well, same with a keyboard! :D. I just like buying toys - like this machine!

That's enough to get on with.

Frank.

ckristoff
10-08-2017, 04:41 PM
Hello friends, I just looked at some older posts, at the top of Switcher Hangout. It says not to install anti-virus. Well the store I bought my Mac from, installed McAfee, so can you advise how do I uninstall this nonsense? I don't want to make mistakes.

Thank you, Frank.

MacInWin
10-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Frank, bookmarking in Safari is pretty easy. Basically, when you are at a website for which you want to keep the bookmark, click on Bookmarks on the top bar and then tell Safari where you want to save the bookmark. There are other ways to do it, but that's the easiest, IMHO.

I'm not a Photos expert, but if you choose to use it, when you attach the camera to the Mac, Photos will probably open and offer to download everything from the camera to Photos. If you do that, the images will be stored in a database within Photos and will NOT be individual files on the Mac. So there won't be any need to "hen I'll save them to the external hard drive and delete them from Photos on the dock." Just let Photos store the images. If you don't want them on the internal drive of the Mac, then you can set up Photos to store the database on a different drive, but if I were you, I would do that before I did any importing of images so that the database starts out in the proper location.

Another way to get images from camera to Mac is to use an application you have called Image Capture. Again, connect the camera and open Image Capture. Point Image Capture to the phone, select the photos you want copied and tell Image Capture where you want the files. In this case the images are going to be on the Mac as files. You can then import them to Photos and delete the separate files, or leave them there, or do whatever you want.

You will find that on Mac products there are usually more than one way to get things done. We each get to use whatever we find natural to us.

nickyr
10-09-2017, 04:43 AM
Hello friends, I just looked at some older posts, at the top of Switcher Hangout. It says not to install anti-virus. Well the store I bought my Mac from, installed McAfee, so can you advise how do I uninstall this nonsense? I don't want to make mistakes.

Thank you, Frank.

Frank
I provided a link in your other thread but here it is again: https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview;jsessionid=CtIAFh9Nfc_HMPMZpEqn71HVjpf EpcxZfImnN7248RZFbl1f6UXb!1843843069!-930056727?articleId=TS101226&centerWidth=100%25&leftWidth=0%25&rightWidth=0%25&showFooter=false&showHeader=false&_adf.ctrl-state=9dmtq3ou3_4&_afrLoop=3590675313486206#!%40%40%3F_afrLoop%3D359 0675313486206%26articleId%3DTS101226%26centerWidth %3D100%2525%26leftWidth%3D0%2525%26rightWidth%3D0% 2525%26showFooter%3Dfalse%26showHeader%3Dfalse%26_ adf.ctrl-state%3Dmox0v1i2l_4

ckristoff
10-09-2017, 07:31 AM
Hello Jake,
thank you for your reply. I've printed out your reply, so I can refer to it again.

I've just noticed the Bookmarks function, on the top of the screen. Ok, when I get to use it, will I be able to organise things as I did on internet explorer? For example, if I visit photography sites, I can group them all together, and if I visit radio stations, I can put together in their own space?

Frank.

ckristoff
10-09-2017, 07:32 AM
Hello nickyr thank you once again. I'm not trying to ignore you, honestly. As the title says - I'm an old fool!

I'll click the link now and take a look.

Frank.

ckristoff
10-09-2017, 07:39 AM
Hello Nickyr, I've printed off the information from your link.

It says in there after emptying Trashcan, to restart the computer. Now I've used empty Trashcan on 2 occasions, and didn't know about the restart action. Does it matter?

Frank.

IWT
10-09-2017, 08:26 AM
the restart action. Does it matter?

Yes. It's part of the uninstall process.

Ian

MacInWin
10-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Hello Jake,
thank you for your reply. I've printed out your reply, so I can refer to it again.

I've just noticed the Bookmarks function, on the top of the screen. Ok, when I get to use it, will I be able to organise things as I did on internet explorer? For example, if I visit photography sites, I can group them all together, and if I visit radio stations, I can put together in their own space?

Frank.Yes, bookmarks can be grouped into folders of bookmarks and edited in any way you want. All of that is accessible through that menu item.

Slydude
10-10-2017, 12:56 AM
You might find this page (https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/use-bookmarks-ibrw1039) helpful. I know the tips are far High Sierra but they should also work for the version of Safari that is included with Sierra.

ckristoff
10-12-2017, 11:42 AM
Hello Slydude,

thank you very much for the link above - I've printed it off for reference.

Frank.

ckristoff
10-12-2017, 11:44 AM
Hello friends,

here I am again! I've got a Canon Pixma iP7520 printer. My daughter tells me it's wireless. My question today is, how do I install this printer, to work with my Mac, please?

Frank.

chscag
10-12-2017, 07:18 PM
Canon supplies detailed instructions with their printers to get them working wireless. Our advice is instead of us trying to show you how, it would be much easier for you to have those instructions in front of you and to follow them step by step. You might also need to have your router's instructions handy at the same time.

nickyr
10-13-2017, 10:47 AM
Hello friends,

here I am again! I've got a Canon Pixma iP7520 printer. My daughter tells me it's wireless. My question today is, how do I install this printer, to work with my Mac, please?

Frank.

your printer is WPS enabled so if your router is too, this is by far the easiest way to connect it to your network.

press the wifi/wps button on your printer until it starts to flash, then press the WPS button on your router and viola, your printer should be connected.

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/pixma_printer_wireless_connection_setup/ip7250_printer_wireless_connection_setup/?type=

harryb2448
10-13-2017, 04:14 PM
Making sure the computer, router and printer are all switched on, and wifi is turned on in the menu bar and up and running.

ckristoff
10-19-2017, 01:48 PM
Hello nickyr, hello harryb2448,

thank you for your advice. I believe the printer is now connected. I'll test it tomorrow.

Frank.

harryb2448
10-19-2017, 04:23 PM
And then maybe Frank, time to move on to High Sierra lol?

ckristoff
10-26-2017, 01:47 PM
Hello harryb2448,

I'm not sure when, I'll upgrade to High Sierra, I can't even use what I've got yet. Since my last post, I've been busy with family stuff and medical appointments. I've got 3 appointments early January. Around all this, I'm attempting to go walking - I've just returned from my 2nd walk today. This weekend my wife and I travel to Cardiff and Newport, to collect our grandson for half-term, so perhaps next week is cancelled! :D

I haven't done any serious work on my Mac, not even set it up yet. Haven't connected my camera to it yet. Indeed, I've still got my old PC to set-up as standby. It runs Windows 7 by the way.

All I'm currently doing on the Mac so far, is emails, Facebook and youtube - such fun!

Frank.

ckristoff
10-26-2017, 01:50 PM
I've still got to go through all the information I've printed off, so thank you for all your replies.

I haven't read the first book I bought "Switch from PC to Mac".

I've also bought another magazine called "Mac for Beginners". Which of course I'll have to start reading soon.

Frank.

ckristoff
10-26-2017, 05:01 PM
Hello friends,

I'm trying to set up my Mac, using the book Switch from PC to Mac. However I can't religiously follow what the nice lady is suggesting, as she is using a Mac laptop!

Anyway, I've turned on the firewall, so that's one good thing. She mentions Gatekeeper. What is it and how do I use it please?

I'm attempting to play with my Mac, using the 2 publications I've bought. I'm just trying avoid asking too many dumb questions!

Frank.

MacInWin
10-26-2017, 05:13 PM
Gatekeeper is simply Apple's way to try to minimize the malware you install. Basically, in System Preferences, Security and Privacy, at the bottom of the box you will see a section headed by "Allow apps downloaded from" with some options. That is Gatekeeper. The default is "App Store and identified developers" which means that you can get apps from Apple's app store and from developers who have registered with Apple. Those two are pretty safe. But if you want to be able to download apps from anywhere, you can read this article on how to use Terminal to have a third option, "Anywhere" appear. Selecting Anywhere then turns off Gatekeeper and you are on your own.

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/gatekeeper-macos-sierra/

ckristoff
10-26-2017, 05:25 PM
Hello Jake,

thanks for your reply. I'll check that link tomorrow, I've been on my Mac too long.

Is Gatekeeper already on? Terminal sounds like I'd turn my Mac into a PC! No thank you.

Frank.

Rod Sprague
10-26-2017, 09:43 PM
Hi ckristoff, I guess that means you have the printer hooked up successfully. It sounds to me that you have the basics all worked out and the device is fulfilling your needs for now. There is no doubt that all the books can be very helpful but they can also be heavy reading. I think the real key to learning is maintaining an interest. At 65 I have never lost interest in macOS and I have adopted a practice of looking up anything I don't understand or beleive there may be another/easier way of achieving. Just being a contributor to this forum has taught me a lot. In the end you will forget the things you don't need today and remember the ones you do. So long as you keep questioning things you will inevitably learn what you need.
Lastly always consider what you are about to do before you do it. I have been known to write down the steps of a process just to ensure I could undo it. If all else fails a full backup is the best insurance you can have.

MacInWin
10-27-2017, 12:09 AM
Yes, Gatekeeper is on by default. In fact, to turn it off you have to use Terminal commands. You only have the two choices of how aggressive it is otherwise.

ckristoff
11-03-2017, 09:04 AM
Thank you for your reply, Rod.

I'm afraid I'm still very slow making progress on my Mac. I've been busy with doctors and hospitals. Also my grandchildren are home with us.

I haven't even connected my camera yet, so I don't know what photos can do. The other day, I was an hour on the phone with Microsoft support, so at least I can use Word. Of course I now Apple has its own version, but I didn't know it at the time of purchase. Went I turn on my Mac, the screen for Apple mail opens up - can I use this instead of Googlemail, with which I'm already comfortable. I like Safari, so I don't need Google chrome.

Still trying to understand too many things on the Mac, my brain ain't clever. I recently bought a book on Sierra, that ought to help.

Frank.

MacInWin
11-03-2017, 09:47 AM
There used to be a photos user guide at Apple.com in the Support area. I just tried to get a link and it seems to be lost. But you can try there for yourself. There are also lots of other links in the Photos section at Apple that may also lead to the user guide, but I didn't explore all of them. https://support.apple.com/photos

You need some definitions: Mail is an application that can, if you want, be used to manage your mail. It runs on the Mac, can access just about any mail server, including Google. Google is a provider of mail services, called Googlemail. It can be accessed through either a mail application like Mail, or with a browser. From your description, it sounds like you use a browser to visit Google to check your mail. That's fine, but you can also let Mail fetch your emails for you from Google if you want.

ckristoff
11-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Thank you Jake,

maybe I'll keep it simple and just use goggle mail.

IWT
11-03-2017, 11:22 AM
@ckristoff

I don't know what photos can do

Here are a couple of step-by-step guides on how to use the Photos app - when you've got the time:)O:)

http://www.macworld.com/article/2965934/software-photography/the-hidden-editing-power-of-photos-for-os-x.html#tk.nl_macwk
http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/photos-for-mac-os-x-out-now-questions-download-advice-3586301/

Ian

ckristoff
11-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Hello Ian,

thank you for your links, I'll take a look when I can.

As for emails - I'll stick with googlemmil, it's what I know.

Frank.

ckristoff
11-23-2017, 11:02 AM
Hello friends,

I'm sorry I haven't been here for a while, and I haven't made any further progress. I'm busy with my wife doing grandparent duties. Also I have several medical appointments coming up, including my 5th cancer check-up next week. Another item taking up our time, is dealing with our builder, who's building our new bungalow, as we're downsizing. I still use the Mac, but haven't had time to learn new tricks with it.

On 2 occasions, I've had pop-up message about High Sierra. Do I need to do this right away? I'm a little intimidated by this, as I have no clue how to go about it. I've heard about back-up, what size usb stick to I need for this? Recently bought a book called macOS Sierra in easy steps. Of course, I haven't read it yet. Should I decide to upgrade, would this book still be useful?

Frank.

ckristoff
11-23-2017, 11:08 AM
Another question,

when I logon to my emails or Facebook, a box opens in the middle of the screen, I think you call it a workspace? to the left of it is another box, which cannot figure out how to close. It has 4 items on it. At the top of this column are 2 boxes, the one on the left is white and shows an open book, to the right is a blue box which shows a pair of glasses./ Could you advise please how I get rid of this item? it interferes with how my Facebook page looks.

Thank you, Frank.

IWT
11-23-2017, 11:27 AM
Hi Frank

On 2 occasions, I've had pop-up message about High Sierra. Do I need to do this right away?

Absolutely not. And stop worrying about it. :) Your current OS, macOS Sierra, is entirely suitable for what you are doing and, in any case, the newest OS, macOS High Sierra is still in its infancy and, like infants, has a few teething problems.

My advice: get to grips with Sierra first; upgrade when convenient. Plenty of time, no rush.

Ian

badshoehabit
11-23-2017, 01:38 PM
Another question,

when I logon to my emails or Facebook, a box opens in the middle of the screen, I think you call it a workspace? to the left of it is another box, which cannot figure out how to close. It has 4 items on it. At the top of this column are 2 boxes, the one on the left is white and shows an open book, to the right is a blue box which shows a pair of glasses./ Could you advise please how I get rid of this item? it interferes with how my Facebook page looks.

Thank you, Frank.

Can you post a screen shot? Cmd+Shift+3. It will be store on your desktop. To post the pic here, click on the Insert image icon and find your image. 27469

bbnck
11-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Another question,

Thank you, Frank.

Does this happen immediately after you attempt to login to Facebook? If that's the case, it might be the website itself and not your computer. For us to be certain we'll need to see a screenshot of what you're seeing. When you see the problem on screen, press "Command", "Shift" and "4" on your keyboard. Afterwards, left-click on your mouse and start dragging your mouse over the area of the screen where the problem is - you'll see a grey box appear which indicates the part of your screen that you want to take a screenshot of. Once you've finished highlighting the area of the screen, let go of the left-click button on your mouse to save the screenshot - you'll find it saved on your desktop. You can then attach the screenshot to this thread for us to see. To include the screenshot in your reply here, click on the icon that looks like a tree - it's the third icon from the end of the list (see the screenshot from "badshoehabit" on the previous page to see what the icon looks like).

ckristoff
11-26-2017, 02:51 PM
Thanks Ian. I'm way behind, in my attempt to learn about Mac Sierra.

ckristoff
11-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Hello Sue, wow, you're expecting a lot, from an old 'un like me, but I'll have a go now, I've saved it to desktop and I'll attempt to put it here. Thank you, Frank.

Er, I tried to do what you say, but I can't find the image I want in order to insert it here. I can see it on my desktop. It's called Screen Shot 2017-11-...18.54.11. What do I do?

Dumb and dumber crosses my mind!

ckristoff
11-26-2017, 03:05 PM
Thank you bunch,

I've attempted it using it how Sue explained, and I still can't achieve it.

Frank.

ckristoff
11-26-2017, 03:09 PM
Hello friends, it is me again.

So far I haven't installed any malware protection. Sorry that's me being lazy. Which is the best one please?

Frank.

badshoehabit
11-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Malwarebytes is the recommended malware app.

Hello Sue, wow, you're expecting a lot, from an old 'un like me, but I'll have a go now, I've saved it to desktop and I'll attempt to put it here. Thank you, Frank.

Er, I tried to do what you say, but I can't find the image I want in order to insert it here. I can see it on my desktop. It's called Screen Shot 2017-11-...18.54.11. What do I do?

Dumb and dumber crosses my mind!

Click on the Insert Image icon > From computer > Choose file (Image 1.) > Desktop > find your screenshot (best to view as a list) > Open > Upload File (image 2)....and it will pop into the post as a number. It will probably be huge but don't worry about that. We just want to see what you see.

Step 1.

Step 2.