PDA

View Full Version : Overlay a portrait photo over video without displaying video

basq1231
10-03-2017, 06:20 PM
I have a video playing and would like to cut away to a photo, using Ken Burns effect, with the audio continuing on in the background. I have done this with multiple pictures just fine, but I have one that is portrait, so you can see the video playing in the background. I don't want to see bars of the video playing on the side, but would rather see black bars. Is there any easy way I can do this? I would think this should be a setting that automatically applies a black background on the picture, but I can't figure anything out that's not "hacky." Is cutting the video and detaching the audio the only way to do this (other than editing the photo itself)? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something because I'd think this would be a common thing to do.

I'm using iMovie 10.1.6.

Thanks for any help!

lclev
10-03-2017, 09:59 PM
I use Premiere Pro CC for video. If I have a portrait picture then I put a piece of black video on a track above the video and above that on another track the picture, then create whatever effects I want on the picture and copy those effects to the black video so they match. I have a very limited knowledge of iMovie so I am not even sure you can have more than one video track but if you can that is what I would do.

If you can not add video tracks and stack items then the only option I know of is to add the black bars in a photo editing app. If you plan to overlay the picture over the video then editing the photo is my suggestion.

Lisa

MightyGem
10-04-2017, 06:11 PM
I have one that is portrait, so you can see the video playing in the background.
I've just tried that, and I don't get your problem. In the Crop Menu, If I choose "Fit", I see the whole photo, with black bars either side. If I choose "Crop To Fit" then I see a small portion of the photo that fills the screen. Choosing "Ken Burns" I see the same small portion but with the Ken Burns effect.

I'm using 10.1.7, but I don't recall having your problem in 10.1.6.