Difficulty installing Canon MF6590 w/latest driver on OS X.... Canon says driver isOK

Reaction score
I've been having great difficulty installing a Canon MF6590 to my new Mac mini. I have a valid and approved Canon driver MAC UFRII V10140_01.dmg they say is compatible. I can ping the printer but when I try and configure the printer it says it can't communicate with the printer...

Anyone have any success and tips for me?

Many thanks in advance!!!!!

I will not purchase another Canon printer, I am done... Canon is anti-mac is my conclusion... I am one of those that mostly use PC but also use a Mac occasionally. Canon really knows how to alienate customers.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you tell us a bit more about your setup? Which Mac is it and which version of the OS? I ask because some of our members have use the phrase "new Mac" to refer to a Mac that is in reality a used machine running an older OS but it's new to them.

Also, how are you trying to connect the printer to the Mac? If you are trying to connect to a wireless network it can be a pain to set up. Some fo their models are better at this than others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I will not purchase another Canon printer, I am done... Canon is anti-mac is my conclusion...

I would certainly NOT agree with your comments, and even the most recent Canon AIO I recently purchased was a breeze to setup.

But rather interestingly, Apple's printer support page does NOT list that Canon MF6590 as a Mac compatible printer. At least I couldn't find it.
See: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201465

So you might want to check with Canon for their customer Service for the area of the world where you live and/or bought that printer.

And just for confusion as you probably found, Canon doses seem to have compatible Mac software:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...t-laser-printers-imageclass/imageclass-mf6590

So I'd try downloading that if you haven't done so already.

- Patrick
======

OP
J
Reaction score
I am setting up a new for me: Mac mini late 2012, using ethernet connection.

I downloaded the latest Canon driver for this device running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

OP
J
Reaction score
However - I didn't think to check Apple support page... you are correct - it doesn't show ANY MF printers... but Canon has an approved driver so I think it should work...

I may be up against a brick wall w Apple even though I have proper driver... how sad is that...

OP
J
Reaction score
Mac mini and Canon MF6590 are in different rooms so a USB cable is not an option...

I appreciate any further assist anyone has...

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However - I didn't think to check Apple support page... you are correct - it doesn't show ANY MF printers... but Canon has an approved driver so I think it should work...

I may be up against a brick wall w Apple even though I have proper driver... how sad is that...

Apple isn't always the only requirement or the only alternative in town… :Evil:
By all means try the Canon driver and if nothing else give them a call and/or check their online FAQ etc.
But they sure seem to have the compatible software listed and available:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...t-laser-printers-imageclass/imageclass-mf6590

Mac mini and Canon MF6590 are in different rooms so a USB cable is not an option...

I appreciate any further assist anyone has...

Thanks!

For that situation and I'm not exactly sure of your setup, you may want to give the "handyPrint" pref pane a try:
http://www.netputing.com/applications/handyprint-v5/

Basically it can turn a Mac connected printer into a shared wireless printer and even allow any iDevice to print to it.

It's always an option if one wants to get something working!! :D In your case, either USB or Ethernet cable. Ethernet has longer range BTW:

But another alternative may be to use a plugin wall Ethernet connector considering that the Canon MF6590 is ethernet and network capable, and a pretty cheap adapters as well and save any extra long wires or wiring:
plugin wall Ethernet connector
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=JXHSWYrdBdTe8Aevmrb4Aw

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Can you move the printer near the Mini, and set up with USB, and then set up for wifi?

When all is well move the printer back to the other room. It is usual for a printer to be set up via USB prior to wifi.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I second Harry's advice. Canon printers are difficult enough to setup (drivers or no drivers, Apple or no Apple) but trying to do it only from WiFi makes it that much more difficult. When I had my Canon printer, the instructions that came with it specifically stated that it needed to first be attached via USB before attempting WiFi communication. I can't speak for newer Canon printers as that procedure may have changed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I had my Canon printer, the instructions that came with it specifically stated that it needed to first be attached via USB before attempting WiFi communication.

That was often the case some years ago and also the Apple insisted method the manufacturers were told to use, but it usually didn't work. That is not the Apple suggested method lately, but that also applies to most wireless or AirPrint printers and the OP's Canon MF6590 is sure not a wireless printer.
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201900

Buy I'd agree for first setting up their Canon MF6590, using one of the cable connect methods would be the best. If and when that works, handyPrint should see the printer to use it as a wireless printer.

Our last two Canon wireless printers were a breeze to setup, and they worked well — until Apple stepped in with some stupid update that messed things up on some of our Macs where the update was used and installed. Thank gosh for having a backup to get things fixed, but a bit of a hassle.

EDIT:
I was just wondering if I dare mention having a look and maybe help the OP getting that older Canon MF6590 working using the CUPS stuff, but a WARNING, some of it is a bit geeky!!, but available via:
http://localhost:631

Just a thought… :eek:

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.