PDA

View Full Version : Virus protection for OS 10.8.5

RD10004
09-26-2017, 11:26 PM
One of my Mac's has older, but essential software that will not work with anything newer than OS 10.8.5

We realize that it's just a matter of time before even basics like Chrome will no longer function, but we'll try to keep going with this OS as long as possible.

Looking for malware / virus protection that will work with 10.8.5

Bitdefender still supported an older version that worked, but no longer.

Anyone know of anything that's still available?

Slydude
09-27-2017, 12:00 AM
Many of our users don't bother with virus protection. I think there was a version of Malware bytes for that OS but I have to find the link.

I've moved your post to the Security Awareness area as that seemed like a more appropriate area.

RD10004
09-27-2017, 12:28 AM
Many of our users don't bother with virus protection. I think there was a version of Malware bytes for that OS but I have to find the link.

I've moved your post to the Security Awareness area as that seemed like a more appropriate area.

Thanks, it feels better having something.
I can go on Malware bytes

harryb2448
09-27-2017, 02:03 AM
Obviously you are froma Windows background and pre-conditioned to 'having to have' AV protection. There are no Mac OS X viruses. Malwarebytesformac used to be free but the premium edition is annual pay as you go. Try this old link for an early model to suit your operating system. No guarantee it will work:-

https://blog.macsales.com/31993-tech-tip-how-to-install-and-run-malwarebytes-anti-malware-for-mac

RD10004
09-27-2017, 10:11 AM
Actually a Mac user going on 22 years. And whether virus or malware I've definitely run into several that needed to be identified and uninstalled,

Sawday
09-27-2017, 10:35 AM
Actually a Mac user going on 22 years. And whether virus or malware I've definitely run into several that needed to be identified and uninstalled,

Do tell. Many here would love to know about the hitherto unknown mac viruses that you have come across. Stand by to become famous.

harryb2448
09-27-2017, 05:16 PM
The newspapers will pay millions for this information!

ferrarr
09-27-2017, 05:43 PM
Malware then. Nothing else comes close.

toMACsh
09-28-2017, 01:52 PM
If you can't/don't use the internet, you don't need anti-malware apps of any kind.

dtravis7
09-28-2017, 07:09 PM
It's not a Virus. Malware is different. A true Virus self installs and self replicates.

MacInWin
09-29-2017, 03:45 PM
Obviously you are froma Windows background and pre-conditioned to 'having to have' AV protection. There are no Mac OS X viruses. Malwarebytesformac used to be free but the premium edition is annual pay as you go. Try this old link for an early model to suit your operating system. No guarantee it will work:-

https://blog.macsales.com/31993-tech-tip-how-to-install-and-run-malwarebytes-anti-malware-for-macActually, the non-resident version is still free. The way it is presented makes it look like you have to subscribe, but at the end of the "free" period for the resident version, it reverts to the run-on-demand free operation.

harryb2448
09-29-2017, 05:17 PM
That is the first time we have had that Jake and it is good news. Does it revert back to version 1.2.4.584 do you know? That is the latest free version I can find.

ferrarr
09-29-2017, 06:00 PM
Malwarebytes is now version 3. When it installs, it installs the one month trial of the "Premium" version for free. After the month is over, it reverts to the free version, unless you choose to pay for the Premium version. Same as it is for winOS.

MacInWin
09-29-2017, 09:31 PM
That's exactly it, Bob. The wording is specifically geared to make you think, if you just read it quickly, that once you start the trial of the "resident" version when it gets to the end of the free period you HAVE to pay, but the reality is that the ability to run resident is all that goes away. I never use it that way, so I don't care that I've lost the resident aspect.