PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm new here.

ckristoff
09-26-2017, 08:15 AM
Hello friends,

this is my first visit to your huge forum. However it seems a little daunting so far. I don't know how to update my profile, or how to add a photo. Also, why am I seeing posts from 2013 or 2015?

At present, I haven't got my Apple Mac, it's in transit. I may get it this afternoon, or tomorrow. So I'm currently typing on my 7 year old Dell PC. I look forward to familiarising myself with the Apple way of computing.

Frank.

badshoehabit
09-26-2017, 10:40 AM
Hiya, welcome. The forum is a treasure trove of information and enormous! You will be seeing old threads if you have searched on a specific topic. However, any thread will have the date of the last post as well as the start date.

To get started, you enter all your profile information and photo in Settings. Be careful with the size of photos as the system will reject any which are too big. Reduce them via File > Export > (reduce to at least medium). They will save to your Mac desktop.

Gandalph
09-26-2017, 01:33 PM
Hello ckristoff, Welcome to the Forum.

If you can, go into your signature part and set up as much information about your new machine as possible. This will help members determine which machine, Operating System and all relevant specs so they can determine the best help necassary.

May your stay be long and trouble free.

Reinyrooster
09-26-2017, 02:05 PM
Frank....I just climbed onboard here about 6 weeks ago and this place is crawling with good info and great people willing to help out. I am new to the Mac world so am trying to absorb what I can......trying to teach an old dog some new tricks! Enjoy.

ckristoff
09-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Friends, thank you so much for your welcome, and your replies.

I'm picking up my Mac, from Curry's Haverfordwest store, around 6pm tomorrow evening. Cannot wait!

Frank.

Reinyrooster
09-27-2017, 09:44 AM
Frank, as was mentioned, a good thing to do early as many us have done is to list your computers credentials in your profile so that when you have a question, people can immediately see your computer's specs and give you accurate information.

badshoehabit
09-27-2017, 02:58 PM
Friends, thank you so much for your welcome, and your replies.

I'm picking up my Mac, from Curry's Haverfordwest store, around 6pm tomorrow evening. Cannot wait!

Frank.

Is it home yet? :D

ckristoff
09-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Hello Sue, there was a delay in picking up my Mac. Well it's here now and if you read this, you know I managed to come online!

1 question I have is, where do I find my Apple I.D. or account? Apparently, I bought Cloud through Curry's, so I probably don't need iCloud? I bought a 2TB external hardive, which I haven't installed yet; I'm assuming that needs to be formatted? Where I found the spec. details of my Mac, I saw a button saying Software Update - I don't need this?
When I've installed the hard drive, do I back-up my Mac onto it and how do I do this please? Sorry for all the questions - I'm sure I'll have more, at another time. I've been on Youtube and seen a 4K video on full screen - simply fantastic! Frank.

badshoehabit
09-29-2017, 05:01 PM
Answered what I can. Many here much more expert than me!

1 question I have is, where do I find my Apple I.D. or account?

Easiest is to go to https://appleid.apple.com/ Make sure you remember your Apple ID - log is somewhere safe as it's a pain if you forget. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203993

Apparently, I bought Cloud through Curry's, so I probably don't need iCloud?

You get 5GB of free storage with iCloud; more with a monthly subscription. If Currys have sold you theirs, it's not economic to boost the Apple version but see how much you use over the next 12 months and compare with prices with Apple. Some people (like me) don't use the cloud very much. Except for calendar, contacts, etc which iCloud syncs to my other Apple devices, I rely on my external hard drive for back up.

I bought a 2TB external hard drive, which I haven't installed yet; I'm assuming that needs to be formatted? http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-format-storage-drive-for-mac-usb-3541758/

Where I found the spec. details of my Mac, I saw a button saying Software Update - I don't need this?

Clicking on this will tell you whether or not an update is available. You could have the latest OS (High Sierra) or Sierra 10.12.6 installed. If 'High Sierra' is not already installed, you may like to wait until teething problems are sorted before updating. I am. Depending on what you have on your Mac, others may suggest extra 'insurance'.

When I've installed the hard drive, do I back-up my Mac onto it and how do I do this please?

Plug the drive into a USB and go to the toolbar and find Time Machine - the clock symbol. Click on 'Open Time Machine Preferences' > Select Drive and select your hard drive. The first back up will take a-g-e-s but subsequent ones are usually quick because only the new data is copied. When it's finished you need to open Finder (square blue/white square with smiley face in Dock) and eject the hard drive by clicking on the arrow beside it, or dragging the name to Trash (waste bin icon in Dock). Any peripherals like this always have to be dismounted otherwise you get messages saying there may be damage.

Don't be tempted to install any virus protection software - and I hope Currys haven't talked you into buying any (if so, don't install and ask for a refund) - as Macs do not need extra protection. Something for malware (Malware Bytes, free) is advised. Onyx (free) is recommended for identifying and cleaning up.

GOOD LUCK :D

ckristoff
09-29-2017, 05:49 PM
Hello Sue, I've just managed to register my Apple I.D. I've seen elsewhere that I won't need High Sierra. Thank you for explaining about the hard drive - I'm not sure I fully understand about how to dismount it after use? This is an Apple quirk? And yes, Curry's in their glory sold me McAfee and I think they installed it. Don't worry I won't renew it next year.

How do I go about printing stuff, like your reply above. I think I saw on Youtube, a way for the right click to work. I'll have to find it. For Cloud, I think I may try the one Curry's supplied. I bought a Mac magazine today, they suggest using the cloud on Google. What do you think? Not sure about using cloud, that is why I bought a hard drive!

Ok, so I can try Malware Bytes? On the PC I used to see on web pages https in green. What does Apple use, in order to identify safe websites?

Thank you once again for your help Sue. You are a star!

Frank.

badshoehabit
09-30-2017, 06:26 AM
Duh, when I advised dismounting the hard drive, I was thinking of the way I use mine with my MBP - about every two weeks. Yours is a desktop so you can leave it plugged in permanently and it will back up continuously.

https in green is the same for Mac.

Printing options
1) File > Print
2) Cmd + P

Most of the key commands are the same as in Windows but some of the keys have different names - eg Ctrl in Windows is the Cmd key in Mac. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht201236 A handy one is screenshot: Cmd+Shift+3 foe entire screen; Cmd+Shift+4 to select specific area.

Although you bought your Mac from Currys, Apple stores offer free one-hour workshops in a range of topics. https://www.apple.com/uk/today/

ckristoff
09-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Hello Sue, thank you for your valuable advice.

Yes, my hard drive is connected to the Mac. I've also connected the Apple disc drive to the Mac, so all 4 USB ports are used up. If I want to charge my keyboard or mouse, I'll have to unplug my photo printer. Reading the leaflet for the disc drive, it explains that it can be connect to Mac with a cable that has the C fitting! Question to Apple - why don't you supply this cable in the first place? It appears Apple always wants us to spend money - usually in their direction! So I'm assuming I don't need to use that dismounting function, with the 2 units I've connected today.

I'll take a look at the workshop link you've supplied. I think even an old git like me, will manage somehow!

Frank.

badshoehabit
09-30-2017, 08:34 AM
So I'm assuming I don't need to use that dismounting function, with the 2 units I've connected today.

Not unless you want to free up a port! Anything with an arrow beside it in Finder needs dismounting if you want to unplug. My external drive shown here.

nickyr
09-30-2017, 09:22 AM
Hello

Welcome from a fellow South Wales member :-)

There's loads of great advice on this site from very knowledgeable members.

Re your new purchase, you definitely do NOT NEED McAfee or any AV software. If it's been installed then uninstall it now.

All you need for safe browsing are:

- safe browsing habits
- extensions such as Adblock Plus and Ghostery (in the menu bar navigate to Safari,then Safari Extensions)
- Malwarebytes which you can run from time to time to check you've not picked up any malware. https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Another good app to have is Onyx. Most on here use it. I run it every 3 months or so. https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Good luck, Nick

docx
09-30-2017, 09:57 AM
Welcome. You could always buy a USB hub if you don't have a enough ports. Also, in a few weeks I would definitely upgrade to High Sierra. Its always best to keep upgraded unless you have older software or hardware that wont work.

Gandalph
09-30-2017, 02:10 PM
If you do buy a USB Hub make sure it's the self powered type.

ckristoff
10-01-2017, 02:22 PM
Hello Randolph, I'm afraid I've ordered one that just plugs in. I did the same with my PC.

Frank.

ckristoff
10-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Thank you Sue, I'll try to remember that. Working the Apple way will take getting used to.

By the way, silly question time, how do I bookmark websites on Safari. During my Internet Explorer days, I found it easy. Using Google Chrome, I didn't understand their system, so all my saved websites, are logged in an address book! Why not?::Mischievous:

Frank.

ckristoff
10-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Hello nickyr , so I have to uninstall McAfee.

The extensions in Safari, do I find them and turn them on?

So I need to get Malwarebytes and Onyx?

Thanks for the advice.

Frank.

ckristoff
10-01-2017, 02:35 PM
Hello docx,

I appreciate the need to keep software up to date. I've only had my Mac a few days, and it came with what I've got. So my machine is fresh. In any case, I wouldn't know how to do the upgrade. I never did it on a PC.

Frank.

ckristoff
10-01-2017, 02:50 PM
I tried to install Onyx, think I have but I can't find it! The Malwarebytes is it expensive to buy?

Frank.

MacInWin
10-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Malwarebytes is free, for all that you need. The paid version will run constantly, which you do NOT need. Just download it and ignore the requests for payment, after a month it will revert to the run-when-you-want-to mode and the nagging will cease.

Onyx is not available for High Sierra, if you are running it. Otherwise, go to the developer site: titanium.free.fr and get the proper version for your version of the OS. When you try to run the installer, Apple's Gatekeeper will complain that it didn't come from Apple, press on anyway and install it.

Slydude
10-01-2017, 03:47 PM
Bookmarking sites in Safari (http://www.dummies.com/computers/macs/mac-operating-systems/how-to-create-bookmarks-in-safari/)

If you are like me and open multiple tabs in a single window choosing the "Add bookmarks for these tabs option will create a bookmark folders with all sites in those tabs

docx
10-01-2017, 04:14 PM
Hello docx,

I appreciate the need to keep software up to date. I've only had my Mac a few days, and it came with what I've got. So my machine is fresh. In any case, I wouldn't know how to do the upgrade. I never did it on a PC.

Frank.
Im guessing that you have OS sierra installed if so it's probably best to wait a few weeks before you upgrade.
When you're ready make sure you have a backup of all your data before upgrading.
Just go to the App Store and look for mac OS High Sierra.
If you need more detailed instructions just post here when your ready.

badshoehabit
10-01-2017, 04:15 PM
I tried to install Onyx, think I have but I can't find it!

You don't need to run it yet with such a new setup but it will be in Finder > Applications. Double click to operate.

nickyr
10-02-2017, 05:14 AM
Hello nickyr , so I have to uninstall McAfee.

The extensions in Safari, do I find them and turn them on?

So I need to get Malwarebytes and Onyx?

Thanks for the advice.

Frank.

McAfee. You don't have to uninstall it, but it's a piece of software that's of no use to you and may slow your Mac down. Instructions here if you wan to go ahead: https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview;jsessionid=YX7cIKQ9Y4ZjJfdQ_iircE8YN6E 5HTGjqLxOUsfNB55udkwMhG-e!1843843069!-930056727?articleId=TS101226&_afrLoop=2987384928875372#!%40%40%3F_afrLoop%3D298 7384928875372%26articleId%3DTS101226%26centerWidth %3D100%2525%26leftWidth%3D0%2525%26rightWidth%3D0% 2525%26showFooter%3Dfalse%26showHeader%3Dfalse%26_ adf.ctrl-state%3D9dmtq3ou3_4

Extensions. If you go to the Safari menu bar at the top of your screen and click on Safari and then Safari extensions, this will take you to a browser where you can download a number of useful extensions. After you've installed them, goto Safari, Preferences, Extensions. Your downloaded extensions should be here and already switched on. If not then turn them on.

Onyx. If you installed it it'll be in your Applications folder. After installing you'll see a DMG file in your downloads. You can delete this.

You're getting a lot of advice at the moment which may seem a little daunting. But stick with it, use your Mac and enjoy it.

Nick

ckristoff
10-03-2017, 07:48 AM
Hello Slydude, I don't open to many tabs, I may get lost! Thank you for your link.

Frank.

ckristoff
10-03-2017, 08:07 AM
Hello friends, thank you for your replies and thank you for your patience. Let me explain the position I'm in; I'm not even clever enough to know how to use my Doro smartphone! When I had my PC running, I just did boring repetitive stuff with it. I bought my Mac because I believe my PC was compromised. I pray that I'll be safe on this machine.

On my bottom list of icons, I have Microsoft Excel showing and I don't know how to get rid of it. Next to it is the download button, which shows a bunch of of stuff that have been downloaded. Do I just ignore that stuff?

I'm finding it difficult to live with the right button clicker.

Also how do I find stuff on my Mac. I went to my bank statements, to download a copy for my accountant. I downloaded it somewhere but I can't find it. Then I figured out how to print out what I needed from the bank website.

Also, I'm sorry, is it really necessary for me to have High Sierra, when I don't have a clue, how to use what I've already got! :D

Frank.

IWT
10-03-2017, 08:46 AM
I'm finding it difficult to live with the right button clicker.

You can change this if you want so that you only have "Click" and "Control Click" (meaning you hold down the Control key whilst clicking). If you do this:

"Any Click" always = Left Click and "Control Click always = Right Click.

Method: Click on Apple Icon top left Menu Bar. From drop down, choose System Preferences.

Within System Preferences, click on Mouse (second row), then click on "Point and Click". You will see 3 options on the left.

Checking the box "Secondary Click" means that you have Right & Left Click on your Mouse.

Unchecking the box means you have "Click" and "Control Click" as mentioned above. Your choice.

I downloaded it somewhere but I can't find it.

All downloads from wherever, by default, go into your "Downloads Folder". This is found by opening Finder and you will see "Downloads" on the left. Click to open the Folder.

is it really necessary for me to have High Sierra

Absolutely NOT. Forget about it till you are comfortable with all aspects of using your Mac. Feature-wise, there is little difference; user-wise, a lot. Get used to Sierra before contemplating moving on.

Ian

MacInWin
10-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Ian is generally correct, but sometimes downloads don't go into the Downloads folder. You have to look at the prompt for the download to see where it is proposing to put it each time. Generally, if you don't get a prompt, it goes into Downloads. The row of icons along the bottom of the screen are the Dock. Some things are in the Dock even if the application isn't running. But running programs have an icon there so that you can switch to them easily. Running icons have a little dot below them to indicate the application is running. If you don't want Excel there, just drag the icon away from the dock and eventually it will change to say "remove" and you can then drop it and it will go away. That action does not delete the application, just the icon on the Dock.

ckristoff
10-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Hello Ian, thank you so much for your advice. I'm getting old and grey - I meant to say I can't live without the right clicker, thank you for your help.

Frank.

ckristoff
10-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Hello Jake, thank you for reply. I'll try to digest all this new information.

Frank.