"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one" on Windows startup

Reaction score
Long post:

I am currently trying to have both Windows and OS on my macbook pro.

I have a USB drive with Windows 10 iso on it. When I go to bootcamp, everything goes normally as it should. When i get to the part where I choose the bootcamp partition, it gives me the error that it needs to be NTFS Format. At that point I click format, like all the youtube videos tell me; however, this is when the error "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one" comes up.

I've looked up the error and found things that say I need to do a PRAM restart, which I have. And then other ones that say I need to delete the second EFI partition. But the thing is that there is only one EFI partition listed and I was afraid to delete it so I didn't.

Please help me.

The picture of the error screen is below.

Thank you in advance, internet heroes.
Jake
IMG_3407.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Use Boot Camp assistant to remove the partition, then try to set it up again. You can not delete the partition with Disk Utility, you need to use Boot camp assistant.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You've got one too many partitions on that drive. Partition 1 is your EFI boot partition (must be there, do not delete or macOS will not run)

Partition 2 is likely the partition where macOS is installed. And it appears it's full as there is no room showing on it which may also be a problem.

Partition 3 is your Recovery Partition for macOS.

Partition 4 is unknown to me. It says OSXRESERVED. Reserved for what?

Partition 5 is probably the one you created for Windows.

In other words, your hard drive looks to be messed up and Boot Camp will refuse to install Windows on it.

Do you have a backup of your macOS installation? If so, you might want to erase that drive and reinstall macOS. Afterward you can attempt to install Windows 10 again.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well this is incredibly anti-climactic but I tried the partition again WITHOUT using the USB drive and it worked... Very happy; however, sorry for wasting your time! Thanks for the help

Jake

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back. It appears that "extra partition" we spoke of may in fact been caused by the USB drive. Anyway, glad things worked out OK. Enjoy Windows and your daily updates. LOL.

Reaction score
Thanks! I had the same issue and removing the USB stick with windows iso file worked!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to our forums.

Glad to hear this rather old post helped you.

Thanks for joining our forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.