Ran Monolingual, now Office 2011 won't start

Reaction score
On the advice of a friend, I ran Monolingual to remove unused language files from my MacBook Pro (early 2010), now none of my Office apps will open.

Tried reinstalling the OS (Sierra 10.12.6), reinstalled Office, ran Office Updater ... no joy.

Ideas?

OP
K
Reaction score
Also found this in the report:

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @rpath/mbunamedstrings.framework/Versions/14/mbunamedstrings
Referenced from: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/*/Microsoft Database Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Database Utility
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Microsoft Database Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/../../../mbunamedstrings.framework/Versions/14/mbunamedstrings: mach-o, but wrong architecture

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't do these things on the advice of friends. Monolingual has gutted Office by the sound of things. Next I bet you got rid of Office dragging it to the trash which will never work. Removing Office 2011 is a very long and tedious operation. Have a look at the link and proceed when you have the best part of an hour to spare.

Download the link and scroll down to 'Manual Removal of Office 2011 for Mac' and proceed. You will need your CD and activation Code on hand. Immediately update to version 14.7.7 as support for Office 2011 is about to cease.

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...einstall-ba8d8d13-0015-4eea-b60b-7719c2cedd17

OP
K
Reaction score
I didn't try to uninstall Office, I just tried reinstalling first in the hopes it would restore the missing files.
And yeah, re-learned the lesson about advice from friends ... shove another burning stick into my eye, cuz it felt really good the first time

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On the advice of a friend, I ran Monolingual to remove unused language files from my MacBook Pro (early 2010), now none of my Office apps will open.

Tried reinstalling the OS (Sierra 10.12.6), reinstalled Office, ran Office Updater ... no joy.

Ideas?

Welcome to our forums.

Monolingual is a known killer of MS Office. Your friend gave you bad advice. You will need to reinstall Office 2011. Follow Harry's advice above and completely remove Office 2011 first. Then reinstall. How come you didn't have a backup? How about Time Machine?

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips!
I tried doing a restore through Time machine, but I wimped out at the warning that said it would overwrite everything.
I'll try the manual uninstall tonight.
Thanks very much for that link Harry!

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks again for the link Harry! The uninstall went flawlessly, Office reinstalled sucessfully.
Now, if I can just figure out how to find my old outlook.pst file in the backup I'd be all done ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Hmmm…. if I may say so. If your friend or you had bothered to read the Monolingual manual or Read Me and noticed the "WARNING" which for years has said to exempt MS Office versions from '08 and later and most big Abobe application products, which would normally stop them from doing any update or maybe not run.

BTW: If you're running any recent OS X version and/or even with the latest version of Monolingual, it will only scrape a small surface and maybe a bit larger area if the SID security stuff has been disabled when it was run.

And FWIW, I've been an avid user of Monolingual over the years and I'm almost a crazy hunter when it comes to removing all the space wasting foreign languages I don't use or need, but Monolingual does NOT do the proper cleaning it used to do with recent OS X versions.

If you want to do so properly, download and use Find Any File.app, oh gosh… I just heard a bunch of sighs and groans from some members… :Blushing:

Now, use Spotlight and enter ".lproj" or "lproj" (no brackets), and make note of what and how many it finds, It won't be many.

Now use Find Any File.app and just enter .lproj in the find area and use the "Ends with" option and and use the Add to add "Is a folder, (see attachment below) hit Find button and see what it finds.

Mind-blowing eh what?? Yup GBs. And you thought Monolingual had cleaned up them all!!!

Yes you can use Find Any File.app to delete and destroy what you don't need, but CAREFUL CARE and ATTENTION is needed, otherwise don't even think of deleting any.
And NEVER DELETE ANY FOLDERS ENDING IN .lproj that begin with or contain: Base, en, english or any language(s) that you might use.

Languages cleanup.png

PS: If MS Office and Abobe suites are installed and one is going to do such language purging, for safety you can select the ones to be "protected" and use the Finder to compress them which will not allow anything to be removed.

PPS: And yes, Find Any File.app can find that too.
Now, if I can just figure out how to find my old outlook.pst file in the backup I'd be all done ...

PPPS: When using Find Any File.app to delete stuff, hold the option key when hitting the Find button to give you Root permissions.
Then use the right-click and Delete immediately option on selected items.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for that detailed reply Patrick!
I did as suggested, foudn the outlook database, but when i go to import to the freshly restored Outlook, I open the folder where I placed the database file, and it's greyed out, won't let me select it. I guess i missed a step?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
… restored Outlook, I open the folder where I placed the database file, and it's greyed out, won't let me select it. I guess i missed a step?

Sorry Kevan, but I can't help you with your Outlook problem, and as I recall, it seemed to do things a bit differently, at least many years ago, so maybe things have improved and hopefully someone else can help.

It may be best to repost with your Outlook problem in another subject thread.

PS: I also got a later email, but no sign of it here:

Kevan has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Ran Monolingual … …

This thread is located at:
http://www.mac-forums.com/showthread.php?t=343104&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Also found this in the report:

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @rpath/mbunamedstrings.framework/Versions/14/mbunamedstrings
Referenced from: … …

Some listserv editing going on or what…???

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Patrick:

The system went haywire for awhile last night and even locked me out of the moderation pane. I was getting double posts and even after I tried to moderate one post to activate it, it showed up as two posts. It finally settled down around 2:00 AM CDST to where I could get things back to normal.

So who knows what kind of subscribe messages the system was putting out. I suspect that's why you received the email that you did. Also, I noticed you had some difficulty logging on which you resolved later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, I noticed you had some difficulty logging on which you resolved later.

Yes, I needed to Reset Safari, or at least the top five options that goofed up my auto login and it's still acting up. All problems now just at my Safari's end I think. And hope. :[

And man, you still supporting the site at 2:00 am!!!!

You deserve a medal.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.