• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Iphoto no longer loading my video from sony handycam HELP!!

Reaction score
I have a Sony Handycam HDR-CX405. From the time I bought it I would just plug it into my Mac and iphoto would open up automatically and my videos would be there waiting for me. Yesterday that suddenly stopped happening. I've tried quite a few different things to get it to work such as: changed usb setting to mass storage, auto, msm (or whatever the abbreviation is), tried using different usb ports, and a few other minor things. When I put it in MSM the iphoto opened up but showed "no photos" even though there are videos on the camera. I am able to see the videos in finder but theyre in quicktime and I dont want them in quicktime (difficult to get onto youtube) I want them in iphoto. Its less than a year old and has been taken care of.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Apple is no longer updating or supporting iPhoto. The replacement for iPhoto is "Photos". With that said, we need to know which version of macOS you're running and also information about your hardware: Mac model and year.

Have you made any changes lately? To your Mac? macOS update?

OP
N
Reaction score
Sorry I meant photos. I'll have to get all of that information. And put it in a reply. Thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Whilst you're gathering the info our Administrator asked for, have you tried Image Capture (found in Finder > Applications)?

You connect your Sony by USB directly to the Mac and open Image Capture. If this works as it should, you can save the videos to any place of your choosing, including Photos of course.

Moreover, if Image Capture worked and it allowed saving to a Folder in Documents, for example; but not Photos, this could indicate a problem with latter. Corrupted database or similar.

Just a thought.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.