PDA

View Full Version : Rain, rain, rain

cradom
08-29-2017, 04:01 PM
So we're just sitting around waiting for the freakin rain to stop. Who the heck named this crap Harvey anyway?
Been to work today and yesterday. That's an interesting drive in torrential rain at 4am. with bad wiper blades. Just went to Walmart to get some.
They tell us this will last til the end of the week, maybe longer. At least my house is on piers and wont flood. The yard will but not the house.
Not as bad as Houston or Corpus. Those poor people. I used to live there a while back. Glad I moved.

lclev
08-29-2017, 05:43 PM
Glad you are up on stilts. At least you have a dry place. I feel so awful for those people displaced by the flooding.

Lisa

chscag
08-29-2017, 05:45 PM
Hey Craig... your house may be on piers, but keep in mind that your auto isn't. Be careful driving back and forth to work. ;)

RadDave
08-29-2017, 06:29 PM
Hi Craig - BOY, I've been watching the Weather channel since Friday - this is the most catastrophic flooding for the Houston area and coast since Noah's Ark!

Just had to check your location in Texas - appears that you're near Beaumont & Port Arthur from the map below - seems that Harvey is coming ashore again, near Lake Charles, LA; hope that it moves out quickly w/ less rain than predicted on the second image - KEEP SAFE & DRY!

Last month, we did a week-vacation on the NC Outer Banks - MANY houses up on stilts! Thinking about you and our other Texan members and citizens - best of luck. Dave :)

cradom
08-29-2017, 07:21 PM
My house isn't on stilts, it's on piers. These are about 2 1/2ft high. Around here what we call stilts are like what beach houses are on, about 15 to 20 ft high.
chas, some of the roads don't flood as bad as I thought. And I'm in a F150 so a little higher than a car.
Lisa, yeah I really feel for Houston.
Dave, if you look just south of the center of that circle you'll see Groves. That's me!
Yeah, It's supposed to re-hit land about just east of us now so we get both sides of the storm. Wonder how Sly is doing up there in Shreveport?

RadDave
08-29-2017, 07:32 PM
My house isn't on stilts, it's on piers. These are about 2 1/2ft high. Around here what we call stilts are like what beach houses are on, about 15 to 20 ft high.
chas, some of the roads don't flood as bad as I thought. And I'm in a F150 so a little higher than a car.
Lisa, yeah I really feel for Houston.
Dave, if you look just south of the center of that circle you'll see Groves. That's me!
Yeah, It's supposed to re-hit land about just east of us now so we get both sides of the storm. Wonder how Sly is doing up there in Shreveport?

Hi Craig - yep, I read that you were up on 'piers' (even better) - stilts usually have more elevation, but I must say that their safety may be 'iffy' in a major hurricane - assume that your piers are reinforced concrete - not sure? Also, saw that 'Groves' was between the two towns that I circled, so glad that I got the locale right.

Again - hope that you get less than what is predicted on the second image in my post! I have relatives in Hot Springs, Arkansas which is on the yellow-green line similar to Sly in Shreveport. Dave :)

Slydude
08-29-2017, 08:20 PM
We're about an hour south of Shreveport but doing pretty well. It rained a little Saturday night and Sunday but not really hard. Sometime yesterday we went under a flash flood watch. It's supposed to start raining harder tonight. The projections for how much rain we will get have been all over the place for the last few days.

Last I heard we were expected to get something on the order of 3" tomorrow. Schools are closed tomorrow and beyond that it will depend upon how much rain we get.

cradom
08-30-2017, 05:35 AM
Have fun with what's left of Harvey, I'm tired of it. Supposed to hit land again around Sabine Pass which is 16 miles south of us and head north toward you guys. So far we've had about 20 inches of rain total. Some of our schools are closed til Labor day.
And this idiot has to try and go to work again this morning...

Jonzjob
08-30-2017, 07:02 AM
Just take care all of you in the area! And good luck.

My only request would be can we have some, not all, of your rain pretty please? we haven't really had any rain for several weeks now. A few showers but nowhere near enough.

My biggest surprise is that we haven't seen more of the Grummand Tracker water bombers based here in Carcassonne through the summer! And thank goodness for that!

Slydude
08-30-2017, 10:25 AM
Just take care all of you in the area! And good luck.

My only request would be can we have some, not all, of your rain pretty please? we haven't really had any rain for several weeks now. A few showers but nowhere near enough.

Believe me, if we could find a way to send it to you we'd gladly part with as much as you need -- and a bit more just to be generous.

If the forecast I saw this morning proves correct, the earliest we can expect a day with no rain is Friday.

Jonzjob
08-30-2017, 12:24 PM
What area are you in Oreo? If you go to your 'My Profile' up the top right-ish you can set it there. It just gives us an idea where people are living?

There's a storm brewing just south of us in the Corbier Hills. Lots of HUGE cu-nim clouds so we may be getting some of yer rain SD :Mischievous::Mischievous::Mischievous::Mischievou s:

We may not get too much of the wet stuff, but we get some incredible light shows from big G ! We have 2 prevailing winds here. The Tramontane, NW, cool and dry, and the Marin, SE, off the Med and warm and damp. When the Marin is blowing and teh Tramontane starts, it tends to be stronger and it dives under the Marin, forcing it up. Then it condenses into huge clouds and the fun starts. Almost continous lightening, deafening thunder and just as one roar ! I just love to watch it and I have some cracking photos and vcideo!

Jonzjob
08-30-2017, 01:04 PM
No problems mate;)

toMACsh
08-30-2017, 01:59 PM
Hey Craig... your house may be on piers, but keep in mind that your auto isn't. Be careful driving back and forth to work. ;)

So many cars rendered worthless in the flooding... I saw a photo of a yellow Corvette with a cover over it, but sitting in 3 ft. of water. Think of all the cars on dealers lots. Wow!

pm-r
08-30-2017, 03:11 PM
We live in what they refer to as the WET Coast (Canadian "Wet" West Coast) but I just cannot imagine the amount of rain that Harvey has dumped on such a large area.

But luckily for many, I find it hard to believe that so many still have electric power as well as communication and cell and Internet access still working. But I hate to think about the food, water and waste water requirements. Just mind boggling!!

And the waste and cleanup is going to be horrendous and costly for everyone, and probably even affecting many Canadians.

Keep safe and well.

- Patrick
======

chscag
08-30-2017, 03:36 PM
I don't know if auto insurance covers damage from rising water. However, I do know that without flood insurance, rising water damage to a home or property is not covered. Flood insurance is only sold thru agents of the US govt. Most private insurance companies can offer it but it has to go thru the US govt to be issued. Usually, if you live in a flood plain area, you are required to buy flood insurance if your home or property is mortgaged.

cradom
08-30-2017, 03:40 PM
In case anyone's interested: http://www.12newsnow.com/weather/hurricane/southeast-texas-tropical-storm-harvey-blog-what-you-need-to-know/468356613

RadDave
08-30-2017, 03:54 PM
In case anyone's interested: http://www.12newsnow.com/weather/hurricane/southeast-texas-tropical-storm-harvey-blog-what-you-need-to-know/468356613

Hi Craig - I've been listening to NPR in the morning and now watching the weather station again - Beaumont and Port Arthur reported to be flooded; pictures look terrible - you're in the middle of those two towns - hope the piers on your house worked, as expected? Good luck - Dave :)

cradom
08-30-2017, 07:02 PM
My part of town is fairly high. My street and back yard flooded but nowhere near the house.
https://goo.gl/photos/sbMhMz7cY5hxKocz6

Slydude
08-30-2017, 07:08 PM
Good to know you are still high and dry so to speak. Hopefully you won't have to break out the swim fins anytime soon.

pm-r
08-30-2017, 07:38 PM
My part of town is fairly high. My street and back yard flooded but nowhere near the house.

Some bright colored Koi would look nice and improve the view and general outlook and would probably find lots of wiggling worms for food I'd say. ;)

- Patrick
======

pm-r
08-30-2017, 07:45 PM
Some of the Before and Now (After) photos from around the general Houston areas really show how much water is involved rather than a lot of the photos that just show the surface of the water, and the depth is unknown.

Copyright courtesy to whoever owns them:

- Patrick
======

RadDave
08-30-2017, 08:00 PM

Glad to know that your house was spared - might throw a fishing line into the yard for a fish dinner? ;)

The guy below in the YouTube video caught a fish in his house - may have been staged, don't know? But, funny - :) Dave

https://youtu.be/pxbj4JcTfQM

toMACsh
08-31-2017, 01:54 PM
I just cannot imagine the amount of rain that Harvey has dumped on such a large area.

A large area indeed! Our weather guy superimposed the affected area on a map showing that it would cover our entire state!

chscag
08-31-2017, 03:25 PM
Were you affected by this flood, where in the US are you?

He's in Texas near Beaumont and Port Arthur. Check your Apple Maps to see the exact location.

RadDave
08-31-2017, 04:41 PM
He's in Texas near Beaumont and Port Arthur. Check your Apple Maps to see the exact location.

OR just go back to my post (#4) - uploaded a map and circled the area above - Groves is between the two closer to Port Arthur. :) Dave

cradom
08-31-2017, 04:57 PM
Just heard from my sister. They were evac'ed by airboat. Then they were moved. Now moving them to Lake Charles. Running out of places to put people. Wish I could go get them. :(