PDA

View Full Version : damaged charging cord for MACBook Pro

richolsen1
08-26-2017, 08:07 AM
Is there a way to repair the rubber sheathing on the thin charging wire, in the middle of the cord not either end? I have tried black electrical tape but is seems to make matters worse and eats away more of the rubber sheathing. Will damaged sheathing cause troubles if not repaired?

Gandalph
08-26-2017, 08:41 AM
As long as the wires within the sheathing are not bare and touching I can't see any problems arising. However that said, if you have any worries at all why not replace the the whole of the cord with a new one.

richolsen1
08-26-2017, 09:16 AM
As long as the wires within the sheathing are not bare and touching I can't see any problems arising. However that said, if you have any worries at all why not replace the the whole of the cord with a new one.

One would have to buy the whole expensive charger to replace the cord thus the question of how to repair.

Gandalph
08-26-2017, 09:35 AM
If the charging plug is in line with the cord, that is to say, straight and not at 90 degrees, try a piece of shrink-wrap.

ferrarr
08-26-2017, 11:34 AM
You can order either cord through eBay, or maybe Amazon too. You can try an internet search to see who else carries them.

harryb2448
08-26-2017, 05:29 PM
I guess it depends how much you value the user if there is a short.

pm-r
08-26-2017, 07:25 PM
There are various thin rubber electrical tapes you can use, but not always readily available, also the "paint-on rubber ofter sold in sports and marine stores.

The heat shrink tubing usually won't fit over the end connections.

Good new cables can be purchased but can be a PITA to install, but both OWC (macsales.com) and monoprice.com (at least used to) sell complete new inits far below Apple's expensive price. Unless their warranty covers a replacement, always worth checking — even if out of warranty.

- Patrick
======

chscag
08-26-2017, 09:22 PM
I'm always amazed at someone who wishes to repair a damaged MagSafe Charger Adapter or the cable. Considering that we have read of folks inflicting damage to their MacBook Pro or MacBook doing just that. It will cost more to repair the damaged machine than buying a new charger from Apple. And sometimes, taking the damaged charger into an Apple store and showing it to them, Apple replaces it for free.

bbnck
08-27-2017, 09:41 AM
I would also suggest just taking the damaged charger to an Apple Store. They usually replace them on the spot without asking questions.