PDA

View Full Version : How to move files and delete folders

Reinyrooster
08-16-2017, 03:26 PM
Sorry if I use the incorrect titles but I am new to the Mac world. I am in the process of offloading content from I drive that I backed up from my Windows PC before the switch-over. For the most part, it is working but I found that in doing so, I now have, as an example, one folder for pictures that I open to another folder for pictures that I open to the final folder containing the pictures....to many steps. I'm sure it was my doing as I downloaded the entire folder rather then just the contents.
So my question is how, and with what app, can I move the files up the chain to the first folder and clean things up.
Hope I have explain ed it in a way that makes sense.
Have only had my Mac for about a week but am loving it.

cradom
08-16-2017, 05:18 PM
So you have 3 folders, one inside another inside another right? Rename the inside most folder and drag it into your Home folder. Delete the other two. Then rename the folder left back.
Unless any of the folders are named Pictures. The outermost Pictures folder is sort of a system folder, it's part of every Home folder and has it's own icon.
In this case dig to the deepest folder and select all (command-a) and drag to the outer most folder. This might be easier in column view.

Slydude
08-16-2017, 08:22 PM
If the pictures were originally in a camera and you are going to put them on a card and back into a camera it might need the two blank folders. Otherwise, member carom's suggestion is a good one.

chscag
08-16-2017, 09:14 PM
Otherwise, member carom's suggestion is a good one.

Hey Sly: You need to tune up your voice actuated program or get rid of that LA accent. LOL

Slydude
08-16-2017, 09:23 PM
Wasn't using the voice activation I just can't type worth a lick. Autocorrect is a real pain sometimes.If I'd been a little more awake maybe I could proofread a bit better.

cradom
08-17-2017, 05:39 AM
Can't be a cajun accent, he lives too far north in La. sha.

MacInWin
08-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Spellcheck corrects cradom to carom every time. You have to override spellcheck.

chscag
08-17-2017, 10:55 PM
In other words Jake, you have to proof read your replies before pressing the button. ;D

MacInWin
08-17-2017, 11:07 PM
Charlie, that is exactly right, and I am guilty of not doing that faithfully. But I do think spellcheck is awful, not just because it makes us all worse spellers, but because it makes us lazy writers. I get flying along and just let spellcheck do it's thing, so the resulting words are actually words, just maybe not the right words. But it's harder, I think, to see that the word is properly spelt but not the right word for that sentence. I get lazy because I don't see any hints of misspellings, so it *must* be right, right?

pm-r
08-17-2017, 11:26 PM
Autocorrect is a real pain sometimes.

+1.

And I must admit that I had to look up "carom". I didn't even think it was a word. :|

And now I'm right off topic.

- Patrick
======

chscag
08-18-2017, 12:51 AM
LOL. I can empathize with what Jake has experienced with Autocorrect. I've seen it come up with some real wild suggestions. :)

exgarymac
08-18-2017, 06:05 AM
Associated with this thread (and in UK English) I have an irritation with my photo files.
On WIN I open the file, select the first image, then can move down the file to subsequent images by just using the DOWN ARROW key.
On my Macbook I have to revisit the file and open images individually until I find the one I want. This is a pain.
Have I missed a trick here so I can use the DOWN ARROW key as on WIN?
Richard

cradom
08-18-2017, 08:30 AM
Put Finder in column view. Click on first pic, you get a preview on the right. Click on down arrow, go to next pic.
Unfortunately, if you click delete, you have to click the last pic again...
Also works if you hit space to preview full size.

pm-r
08-18-2017, 01:14 PM
Have I missed a trick here so I can use the DOWN ARROW key as on WIN?

In Canadian English…
Try some of the hits you'll get with a google search on 'mac select photos with arrow key':
https://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=mac+select+photos+with+arrow+key&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=6BCXWfLMEOjs8wezj52QDA

And one of the top Apple support hits should maybe help:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21301?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Would that help erase you pain?? :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

exgarymac
08-18-2017, 04:08 PM
Thanks Cradom, that is very helpful.

ferrarr
08-18-2017, 09:02 PM
Cover Flow is the perfect "View" to use for this process.

exgarymac
08-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Don't know about Cover Flow so shall need to investigate. Thanks

pm-r
08-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Don't know about Cover Flow so shall need to investigate. Thanks

You might want to read this and some other help websites as well:

How to Control Your Mac's Cover Flow View Options
https://www.lifewire.com/control-mac-cover-flow-view-options-2260720

- Patrick
======