My Intel iMac dies

E

Emuleem22

I'm a recent switcher to Mac, an extremely satisfied customer after having used PowerBook for about 7 months. When the new Intel iMacs got released, I couldn't help but to buy the new machine that was supposed to be so much faster,,, plus, I always wanted a desktop mac ever since I experienced the awesomeness of a mac.

The new machine worked great, except for occasional keyboard freezes that could only be solved by unplugging and plugging it back in, and some wake up problem from sleep. But other than that, i had so much fun on the 20" screen and I also got some work done on it too.

This morning, I woke my iMac up and started playing music on iTunes so I can listen to it while I get ready for the day, something I do regularly. But after coming back from my kitchen, I noticed that it was taking way too long for the next song to start, and I look at my monitor,,, and it was black. I come near the system and it's making that noise I always hear when I wake macs up, but this time, it kept on doing that. I thought, "OK, so even macs do crash THIS randomly... well, restart it and it's fine" (very ironic, because apple website just recently posted their advertisement video, making fun of windows freezing up and having to restart). I restarted, but,,, nothing. Screen won't turn on, the system tries to boot but it just pathetically make noise,, I tried everything, from unplugging mouse, keyboard, adaptor, waiting for about a minute or two and retried,,, but nothing.

This is the sort of thing I hated about the PC, and that's why I decided to switch to a Mac. I don't know if I should tell myself that, it's because they just made a transition to Intel,,, it's because my machine is Rev A, it's because it's because.... but either way, a Mac machine that I spent my hard earned money on, with 120% confidence that macs won't let me down... and just two months after the purchase, it gives me a headache of having to carry it all the way to my local apple store for a repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
Every machine has a chance to fail.. It's unfortunate that it had to be yours, but there's always that chance. I've bought numerous components of various types for various rigs I've put together, and have had a couple fail. One of the few things that separates Macs from PCs is their software... the hardware however is similar in the sense that it all has essentially the same likelihood to fail :(. Good luck w/ your exchange process! :)

OP
C

caveatipss

Emuleem22 said:
I'm a recent switcher to Mac, an extremely satisfied customer after having used PowerBook for about 7 months. When the new Intel iMacs got released, I couldn't help but to buy the new machine that was supposed to be so much faster,,, plus, I always wanted a desktop mac ever since I experienced the awesomeness of a mac.

The new machine worked great, except for occasional keyboard freezes that could only be solved by unplugging and plugging it back in, and some wake up problem from sleep. But other than that, i had so much fun on the 20" screen and I also got some work done on it too.

This morning, I woke my iMac up and started playing music on iTunes so I can listen to it while I get ready for the day, something I do regularly. But after coming back from my kitchen, I noticed that it was taking way too long for the next song to start, and I look at my monitor,,, and it was black. I come near the system and it's making that noise I always hear when I wake macs up, but this time, it kept on doing that. I thought, "OK, so even macs do crash THIS randomly... well, restart it and it's fine" (very ironic, because apple website just recently posted their advertisement video, making fun of windows freezing up and having to restart). I restarted, but,,, nothing. Screen won't turn on, the system tries to boot but it just pathetically make noise,, I tried everything, from unplugging mouse, keyboard, adaptor, waiting for about a minute or two and retried,,, but nothing.

This is the sort of thing I hated about the PC, and that's why I decided to switch to a Mac. I don't know if I should tell myself that, it's because they just made a transition to Intel,,, it's because my machine is Rev A, it's because it's because.... but either way, a Mac machine that I spent my hard earned money on, with 120% confidence that macs won't let me down... and just two months after the purchase, it gives me a headache of having to carry it all the way to my local apple store for a repair.

I hope you got AppleCare!

OP
E

Emuleem22

wait... isn't there one-year warantee? do i have to have apple care to have them fix anything???

OP
E

Emuleem22

oh, that's nice to hear.

Now I feel like I should have listen to some people who said I should get G5 iMac...

But yeah, any hardware could potentially fail, so i guess i won't blame too much on Intel

OP
L

lil

You get one year's AppleCare 'free' with your new Mac and you can top it up to 3 years cover with the extended cover.

AppleCare=Guarantee/Warranty.

Vicky

OP
S

simongarfunk

Emuleem22 said:

Emuleem, here is the thing. Like everyone has said all hardware or new products have a chance to fail and your just happened to do it, the good side is that apple is a company that believes in their products and they know that they just dont have wierd quirks. If there is something wrong with your mac, you can be assured that apple will replace it and help you out anyway possible, if you are in their warranty period. I used to work for apple and during the holiday run when apple was producing tons of IPOD's we returned and exchange tons of IPODs, becasue they were locking up. Apple is a great company who cares about their products and quality control before and after the purchase.

peace, jimbo :batman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
be happy

I get my apple stuff from the local apple store. If there is any problem at all, I just have to drop it there and they will take care of it. My Mighty Mouse was giving some trouble, replaced it. My iPod earphones were giving some trouble, replaced it. Some other customers have had their entire displays changed due to a dead pixel or two....

Don't worry, its all covered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.