Photo Deletion

Reaction score
I recently removed 10,000 photos from my iPhone1 ( it's ok! They are all backed up to iCloud Photo Library).

However, when I checked my Available Storage on my iPhone 6, the storage has not changed and is still suggesting I have very little space available.

How do I get the iPhone to register it has lost the space taken up by 10,000 photos?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A lot depends on how you deleted the photos and what settings you have checked in the Photos app.

So, simple question to start - how did you delete them?

Next, in Settings > Photos and Camera - have you iCloud Photo Library switched On? And what about "My Photo Stream", On or Off? Ditto iCloud Photo Sharing?

The answers will help us to assist you. (For example, if you have iCloud Photo Library On, it will keep repopulating your iPhone).

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
Initially I deleted a significant number by going into sync photos on my Mac, ticking the 'Selected albums,' box, ticking nothing and then syncing my MacBook Pro to Photos on the iPhone. The theory is this then synced nothing to my iPhone and removing the photos that were there. This removed about 10,000 but I still had about 8,000 on the phone which did not delete using this method, so I manually deleted all other photos off the phone.

iCloud Photo Library is off, My Photo stream is off, iCloud Photo sharing is off. Phone is a 6+ 64gb and it links to a MacBook Pro with 500Gb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Suspect they're in 'recently deleted' on your phone where they will stay for 30 days unless you delete them from there. There's a 'delete all' option. This is Apple's insurance in case you change your mind.

Same applies to deleted on your Mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Where do I find recently deleted on the iPhone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Open Photos, scroll down the Albums and it's below Screenshots & PhotoStream before any albums you've created yourself.

IMG_1783.PNG

OP
S
Reaction score
Have found the 'Delete Recent' on the Mac but not on the phone. Any further advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screen shot of the appropriate phone screen in my last post - thought that would help.

Open Photos on your phone, open Albums (blue logo), scroll down till you find 'recently deleted'. It will be the last album before any you have created yourself.

Amateur video!! Unfortunately you will also get all my daft dog videos too.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well done, Sue. Give her a very well deserved "Thumbs Up", Simol, by clicking on the Thumbs Up icon, far left, bottom line under her Avatar.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.