PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a Microsoft Surface Laptop by ifixit

chscag
08-10-2017, 09:44 PM
We've all commented about how the new iMacs and some of the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros were "glued" together and very difficult to repair. It appears that Microsoft has done it "one better" with their new Surface Laptop computer.

The Surface Laptop got iFixit’s lowest possible reparability score (http://bgr.com/2017/06/19/surface-laptop-repair-ifixit/)

(By the way, put this here in the lounge since it's really not a subject for our "Notebook" forum.)

pigoo3
08-10-2017, 10:23 PM
Wow...a repairability score of 0 out of 10. I didn't think it was possible to get a zero! Lol

- Nick

Raz0rEdge
08-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Consumer reports just got rid of their "recommendation" for these Surface laptops..not sure why MS is even in that business since the entire Surface line (tablet or otherwise) has been a disaster for them. Honestly, short of the Xbox line, MS hasn't had any success with hardware (even though the Nokia hardware acquisition)..

Slydude
08-11-2017, 12:24 AM
This is an awful design for anyone hoping to repair those things.

Raz0rEdge
08-11-2017, 10:13 AM
Well laptops, in general, have never been designed to be user serviceable. So in that regard both Apple, MS and every other manufacturer out there is guilty of that. Honestly, I'd say a large percentage of folks who purchase computers never open it, so iFixit's rate of things that would never be opened or serviced is largely moot..

chscag
08-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Microsoft to their credit has been replacing defective Surface books, Surface Pro, and now their Surface Laptops with new units to buyers who are still under warranty. One user complained that he's on his third unit and his warranty is about to run out. If I were him, I'd be putting that machine up for sale with no guarantees. ;)