PDA

View Full Version : Back from Alaska

lclev
08-05-2017, 12:28 PM
For those of you who might remember months back I shared we would be taking an Alaska cruise. Well, we have returned! The cruise was fabulous. However, if I never fly again it will be too soon. Both coming and going was a lesson in perseverance. I won't bore you with the details, but I will say I totally understand what the TSA calls an "Enhanced pat down" first hand.... :Grimmace:

Now for a few pictures!!

RadDave
08-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Hi Lisa - beautiful pics - thanks for sharing! :)

We did that cruise over 30 years ago and enjoyed (gained weight on the ship - no fitness centers 'on board' in those days, I guess) - the images are familiar, e.g. assume some 'calving' in Glacier Bay on the first one. Dave

Slydude
08-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Great pics. Thanks.

Any plans to chuck it all and start living off the grid in Alaska? You could probably get your own reality TV show.:Mischievous:

badshoehabit
08-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Lovely.

chscag
08-05-2017, 07:26 PM
Nice photos Lisa. Was that cruise one of those "all included" tour packages?

However, if I never fly again it will be too soon.

You're not the only person who has stated that. But I guess if we want to be safe when we fly, not much we can do about the inconveniences that it entails.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Charlie

lclev
08-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Great pics. Thanks.

Any plans to chuck it all and start living off the grid in Alaska? You could probably get your own reality TV show.:Mischievous:

Not for now. It is tempting. They have weather that ranges between high 50's into the 60's - my perfect temperature levels. Not sure how dealing with the rain and overcast would be day after day. As for Reality TV, we actually ran into them filming Alaska Wild when we were in Juneau. They had cameras set up all over the place and we got to see a film crew getting set up.

Lisa

lclev
08-05-2017, 08:02 PM
Nice photos Lisa. Was that cruise one of those "all included" tour packages?

Charlie

No oh no, we had to select and pay for any tours. One of ours was canceled. We were supposed to fly up to see bears fishing for salmon in Ketchikan but we were fogged out.

Lisa

lclev
08-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Hi Lisa -the images are familiar, e.g. assume some 'calving' in Glacier Bay on the first one. Dave

Yes that was Glacier bay and I have a series of shots as it was "calving".

Lisa

pm-r
08-05-2017, 08:38 PM
For those of you who might remember months back I shared we would be taking an Alaska cruise.

I don't know which Alaska Cruise you took, but if it was one out of Seattle, no doubt you visited our Victoria BC port for a short stopover.

I'm glad you enjoyed most of the trip and got some great photos and video and you just might like living up there as my eldest son lives/works in Whitehorse and just loves it up there. But he did grow up on the wet west coast. :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

lclev
08-05-2017, 08:55 PM
Patrick - We were on the Ruby Princess (not the Emerald Princess where the guy killed his wife for laughing at him. :\) We did spend 5 hours in Victoria BC. WAY too short and it was at night so we only got to take a short tour with a pedal bike guy who was very good.

Lisa

pm-r
08-05-2017, 09:28 PM
@lclev

Yeah Lisa, I wasn't going to mention that recent episode, but it did cross my mind.

Too bad you only had such a short time in Victoria, but do come back and visit us when you have more time. Our greater Victoria area has much to offer and is a famous tourist area with lots to do and see. Heck, even your dollar still goes a lot further.

- Patrick
======

RadDave
08-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Yes that was Glacier bay and I have a series of shots as it was "calving".

Lisa

Thanks Lisa - we were on a Princess boat for our cruise - in Juneau, we took a helicopter ride to the glacier (pics below from the web - have no original 'slides' from that trip - sad!) - the copter landed and we were able to walk on the ice - felt like I was crossing the Bering Straight iced over from 10,000 years ago! We also stopped in Ketchikan and I remember a boating outing and some great salmon - your last pics reminded me of the 'temperate rain forest' environment - BOY, I could go back tomorrow (except for the air flights - ;)) - Dave :)

toMACsh
08-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Great pictures! On our last flight back from the Northwest, we got a shot of Mt. Ranier poking up through the clouds. If I could only find it...

But yeah, flying has been anything but fun for many years now, and it's only getting worse. We hear more horror stories than before, but our modern methods of communication have exposed things that have been happening for a long time.