PDA

View Full Version : We should have 10Gb of free iCloud storage.

Rod Sprague
09-07-2016, 05:53 AM
Apple have quietly added a tier to their iCloud storage options, 2Tb. It makes sense I guess with the possibility of setting the base level iPhone at 32Gb and some suggesting that a 256GB iPhone may appear to join the 256GB iPad Pro. Not to mention the new feature of macOS Sierra that lets you store your Documents and Desktop folders in iCloud, to be synced between all your Macs. With people generating more and more data and (wisely) backing it up the bottom tier of 5Gb free looks pretty paltry. After all I'm sure that the revenue generated by iCloud storage doesn't amount to anything significant for Apple why not allow us low level users access to a bit more for free.
Personally I use iCloud Keychain, iCloud Drive (to sync my Password manager), Mail (which I don't use), Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Notes and the essential Find My iPhone. The whole lot only uses 1.5 Gb but I would use a lot more if it was free. If I add iCloud Photo Library for example I am well, close the limit. I used to use it but I got sick of being constantly bugged by messages that I'm almost out of space to store my backup, along with a threatening dialogue box encouraging me to upgrade my storage plan or I won't be able to use my iCloud email service. In fact given that I have 64Gb storage on my iPhone 5s it might not be unreasonable to expect a base level of 25Gb.:Smirk:

Ember1205
09-09-2016, 10:46 PM
Rod,

I'm with you on this. The base storage of the i-devices has gone from 4G all the way up to 32G with stops along the way at 8G and 16G. The top-end devices are now capable of 256G of storage.

iCloud now supports Mail, photo libraries, photo stream, device backup (up to the full storage of the device), Documents (drive), iBook storage and sync, Safari history/shortcut/site credential sync, and is being used much more today by users (like myself) with multiple devices (so, backup needs have at least doubled). They keep adding new things that use iCloud and yet the base (free) account is still 5G and "that's it". Anything beyond requires you to pay and I flat-out will not do it. I have enough money invested into the products themselves (an iMac, a MacBook Air, iPad Pro 12.9", iPhone 6S+, Apple Watch) - there's no way I'm giving them more money on a recurring basis in order to be able to safely and properly USE those devices that I have already overpaid for.

I have taken to doing things like NOT using the Photo Albums portion of iCloud, backing up my Photos regularly only to my Google Account, regularly purging attachments from iMessage conversations, not backing up my mail client (why would I? All this is is a copy of the mail that stays on my provider's server anyhow), and a variety of other things in order to ensure that I don't go over my space allotment in iCloud.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that A) Apple hasn't made a change to the base account size in .... forever? and B) NO ONE is publicly calling on Apple to do something about this.

Rod Sprague
09-09-2016, 11:23 PM
I did post my comments here; https://www.apple.com/support/feedback/ for what ever good it may do.

Ember1205
09-09-2016, 11:31 PM
I'd like to see the Tech rags take them to task on it instead of just being Apple Fan Boys and gushing about the devices all of the time.

iajohnston
09-11-2016, 05:03 AM
they should allow you free space at least with how many devices you have ;D

ferrarr
09-11-2016, 08:20 AM
What does Apple do when you sell a device or it dies?

chscag
09-11-2016, 01:36 PM
And.. there are plenty of other free cloud choices. You don't have to use iCloud. ;D

Ember1205
09-11-2016, 01:37 PM

Interesting idea...

How about each device gets "free space" in the cloud for a basic backup of the device? CONTENT would require additional space... Anything purchased through iTunes doesn't need to be backed up (and isn't backed up today, at least as far as Apps go). Music doesn't need to be backed up because it either came as an iTunes purchase or was sync'ed to the device via iTunes on a computer (meaning there's already a copy someplace). Mail doesn't need to be backed up because it's stored on a server already.

Photos, videos, messages, personalization settings, app-specific content (high scores, favorites, etc.)... Those need to be backed up. So, give me enough space in the cloud to store the base-level backup of the device with anything device-specific for settings or personalization. Then, give me a set amount of space to backup up personal (non device-related) content. And give me basic settings in the device's "Settings" to control these sort of things still.

Ember1205
09-11-2016, 01:39 PM
And.. there are plenty of other free cloud choices. You don't have to use iCloud. ;D

Actually, you do for some of the features. There is no secondary way to sync photos like the My Photo Stream service, no other way to sync iBooks, no other way to sync user/pass info for Safari, no other way to sync WiFi network information with passwords, etc.

I do use Google Photos to ensure that I have long-term backup of all of my photos, even if the sizes get reduced (the quality is still fine for long-term). Anything that I need to ensure is backed up in full quality I send to myself as an email.

chscag
09-11-2016, 01:43 PM
For syncing, I agree that iCloud is needed. I use it myself to sync between my iPhones and iMac. However, when speaking of pure storage as Rod was, there are plenty of other choices.

MacInWin
09-12-2016, 06:47 PM
How about each device gets "free space" in the cloud for a basic backup of the device? CONTENT would require additional space.Actually, this is pretty close to what they have now. Versions you have previously downloaded of OS X are still available for download, so your Mac can be re-established. Ditto for iPhone and iPad. iOS is available to be installed, not that you ever actually wipe it clean like you might OS X, but you can factory reset a clean iOS through iTunes. So, theoretically, all you HAVE to put in YOUR iCloud space is your data. Basically, you have what you asked for today.

Ember1205
09-12-2016, 07:00 PM
While I agree that the iOS itself is not being stored, it seems that the space that's being consumed is very "all or nothing" and it's up to the end user to muddle through the settings to achieve different levels of backup type.

A "basic" backup would include things like your mail accounts, iMessage information, iCloud account name, layout on the home screen of your various apps, WiFi networks, and the like. You can't achieve this type of backup without turning off the backup of all of the various apps, and for devices with a lot of apps, that can take a while. Additionally, new apps that are added are set to "enabled" for backup, so it's up to the user to remember to turn it off. Having choices like "basic backup" would allow me to know that my device's settings and configuration items are being stored WITHOUT unnecessarily enabling backup for every new app I install. Maybe a choice at installation time or first launch that says "Should this application's data be backed up to iCloud?" could be added for better management of storage.

So, while I follow and agree with what you're saying, my comment was geared more toward being able to easily ACHIEVE that basic backup mode instead of the all or nothing mode that are my only two quick options.

grubjpeg
11-02-2016, 04:29 AM
I am sure Cook won't do this when he is in charge.

mrplow
11-09-2016, 10:50 AM
Nothing per se. The space you use is related to your iCloud account. You can go in an see the backups etc that are there and delete old ones etc.

mrplow
11-09-2016, 11:02 AM
The difficulty with this approach is communicating what is or isn't included in a 'Basic' backup. There's also huge differences in what people would expect from 'basic'. For me a basic backup covers anything that can't be replaced easily - photos, videos, save data from appa, iMessages etc.
Most of the support issues I deal with are people concerned with their Photos and Videos. They aren't bothered about email, app layouts and the like. Many of them don't even think about backup until it's too late.

I think the only solution is to have sufficient space from the start and for backup preferences to be more visible in the initial setup of the device.

I would expect to see Apple increase the amount of base level iCloud storage before long, perhaps along with the rumoured Apple Music price drops. They are re-structuring their web services resoucing and locations to bring them all together. They appear to be making moves to focus more on services..... better late than never..... but I'd expect to see a number of changes over the next few months.

Ember1205
11-09-2016, 11:38 AM
The difficulty with this approach is communicating what is or isn't included in a 'Basic' backup. There's also huge differences in what people would expect from 'basic'. For me a basic backup covers anything that can't be replaced easily - photos, videos, save data from appa, iMessages etc.
Most of the support issues I deal with are people concerned with their Photos and Videos. They aren't bothered about email, app layouts and the like. Many of them don't even think about backup until it's too late.

I think the only solution is to have sufficient space from the start and for backup preferences to be more visible in the initial setup of the device.

I would expect to see Apple increase the amount of base level iCloud storage before long, perhaps along with the rumoured Apple Music price drops. They are re-structuring their web services resoucing and locations to bring them all together. They appear to be making moves to focus more on services..... better late than never..... but I'd expect to see a number of changes over the next few months.

IMHO, it doesn't matter what you, I, or anyone else considers basic because Apple does what the **** they want anyway. What matters is creating a couple of different backup configurations that can be used by default, explaining what they each do and don't include, and giving the users ways to leverage them.

Apple is greedy and drops prices on pretty much NOTHING. I don't see them increasing storage at the free tier. Doing so would cut permanently into their revenue stream.

It will be interesting to see how the sales of iPhone 7 are, and how they continue. If the phone is as sorely disappointing as it seems to me on the surface, sales will likely drop way off and stay that way unless Apple drops the price or offers some sort of valuable add-on. I have zero intention of buying a 7 or any other Apple phone ever unless there's a headphone jack. Apple has made how I use my phone impossible with the 7. I've already got a nice Galaxy Note that I am considering swapping to and being done with the Apple iPhone stuff once and for call (although I'll keep my iMac and MBA).

mrplow
11-09-2016, 12:25 PM
Most sucessful companies do what they want. Moreover they do what they believe will forward the business and hopefully turn a profit. I wouldn't expect anything more or less from any company. I'm constantly suprised that people think Apple should be any different.

We could debate what has and hasn't had price drops or the fine line between greedy and a commercially successful business. But as we seem to have switched from cloud storage to headphone jacks I'm guessing that's not really what you're interested in. I agree, it will be interesting to see iPhone 7 sales figures. While there have been other phones drop the 3.5mm jack the iPhone 7 does seem to have brought the subject to the top of the clickbait list for many a tech site and I'm sure it's upset a number of users. But Apple aren't stupid, they are a business. If iPhone 7 sales are that poor and it's attributable to the jack, it'll come back (no doubt fresh and re-invented). But I'll be suprised if that's the case. Only time will tell I guess.

I was going to ask about the backup options Samsung offer (Only have experience of Sony and Huawei Android phones for work - no cloud allowed). But I don't want to inflame the iOSvsAndroid debate.

Let's just see where the cloud storage issue goes. Meet back here in March?

chscag
11-09-2016, 03:09 PM
I've already got a nice Galaxy Note that I am considering swapping to and being done with the Apple iPhone stuff once and for call (although I'll keep my iMac and MBA).

Well I suppose you can be one star for Samsung after their disastrous fiasco with certain of their phones catching fire. As for me, I could care less if my iPhone has a headphone jack or not since I do not use it to listen to music; that's what my stereo at home is for or my car radio if I'm on the road. Good luck with your decision.

Avangardo
11-18-2016, 06:04 AM

can you, please, specify them...I recently got the message at my iPhone that the storage is running out, so, i need to free it... almost all are photos:(

Rod Sprague
11-18-2016, 07:40 AM
Apart from iCloud there is Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, Mega, Box etc. but it's a little more complicated than that. You have to be able to access the files and the service needs to be compatible with the apps you are using it with. See; https://www.thebalance.com/a-comparison-of-free-cloud-storage-services-1356941?utm_term=cloud+storage+free&utm_content=p1-main-1-title&utm_medium=sem&utm_source=msn_s&utm_campaign=adid-eeae965b-8d31-473e-802a-bfb41a9836b5-0-ab_msb_ocode-35512&ad=semD&an=msn_s&am=broad&q=cloud+storage+free&o=35512&qsrc=999&l=sem&askid=eeae965b-8d31-473e-802a-bfb41a9836b5-0-ab_msb
GoogleDrive for example has an iPhone app and offers free 15Gb of storage for photos, movies and other files.
DropBox offers 2-16Gb and OneDrive 15Gb
See; https://www.imobie.com/support/icloud-alternatives.htm

BUT why not just download them to your computer and switch off iCloud Photo Library? I don't use it myself but, I do use My Photo Stream to ensure my pics are downloaded to my MBP then I delete them from the phone. You will need to switch it off in Settings > Photos and Camera on your iPhone and also on the device you sync to in iCloud Preferences > Photos.

Avangardo
11-18-2016, 08:33 AM
Apart from iCloud there is Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, Mega, Box etc. but it's a little more complicated than that. You have to be able to access the files and the service needs to be compatible with the apps you are using it with. See; https://www.thebalance.com/a-comparison-of-free-cloud-storage-services-1356941?utm_term=cloud+storage+free&utm_content=p1-main-1-title&utm_medium=sem&utm_source=msn_s&utm_campaign=adid-eeae965b-8d31-473e-802a-bfb41a9836b5-0-ab_msb_ocode-35512&ad=semD&an=msn_s&am=broad&q=cloud+storage+free&o=35512&qsrc=999&l=sem&askid=eeae965b-8d31-473e-802a-bfb41a9836b5-0-ab_msb
GoogleDrive for example has an iPhone app and offers free 15Gb of storage for photos, movies and other files.
DropBox offers 2-16Gb and OneDrive 15Gb
See; https://www.imobie.com/support/icloud-alternatives.htm

BUT why not just download them to your computer and switch off iCloud Photo Library? I don't use it myself but, I do use My Photo Stream to ensure my pics are downloaded to my MBP then I delete them from the phone. You will need to switch it off in Settings > Photos and Camera on your iPhone and also on the device you sync to in iCloud Preferences > Photos.

thanks i'll try this :)

Ember1205
11-18-2016, 11:54 AM
If you install Google Photos on your phone, you can use it to back up your photos to the Google cloud. You have two choices - original (full) resolution or a scaled down "optimized" resolution. If you choose the former, you are limited to 25G of total space. If you choose the latter, you get unlimited.

To back up your photos, you launch the app and let it run. It will back up videos AND photos (unlike Apple's defaults). If the screen locks while it's running, however, you have to unlock and let it continue running.

To those that are concerned about losing photo quality by allowing Google to decrease the resolution:

1) If you have "that picture" that you intend to print, frame, and/or have enlarged, simply send it to yourself via email so as to not lose the full quality photo

2) You will have a very hard time telling the difference in all but the most finitely detailed pictures that your resolution has been decreased

3) The resolution is only decreased in the backup in Google's cloud - your original photo is untouched

4) Using Google's backup could allow you to convert your iCloud usage to Photo Stream ONLY for the pure purpose of syncing your pictures over to another device through the cloud

The above is basically how I use it. Plus, I have turned off the application level data backup off for pretty much all applications.

Four devices, and I can operate within my 5G of free space without losing backups.

talk2junior
11-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Apple should offer its users free iCloud storage of at least 16GB, maybe more like up to 64GB. I like to previously mention idea of Apple offering the user with more devices on the iCloud account more space. Though I only own two devices, I would welcome having 10GB of cloud space. I find myself using OneDrive and GoogleDrive for most of my backups. I get 1TB with OneDrive and 17GB with GoogleDrive, which at this point has been plenty. Come on Apple...hook your people up.

Ember1205
11-19-2016, 12:57 PM
Apple should offer its users free iCloud storage of at least 16GB, maybe more like up to 64GB. I like to previously mention idea of Apple offering the user with more devices on the iCloud account more space. Though I only own two devices, I would welcome having 10GB of cloud space. I find myself using OneDrive and GoogleDrive for most of my backups. I get 1TB with OneDrive and 17GB with GoogleDrive, which at this point has been plenty. Come on Apple...hook your people up.

Actually, you get 25G with your Google account which is spread across the various services. Photos (full resolution), mail, drive, etc.

talk2junior
11-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Actually, you get 25G with your Google account which is spread across the various services. Photos (full resolution), mail, drive, etc.25352
I get 2 extra GB for some promo I got way back when. Am I missing something? If there is a way to gain another 10GB, due tell.

Ember1205
11-19-2016, 05:09 PM
You're right.. Apologies. I had the "25" stuck in my head because of the 25MB limit on email size.

Rod Sprague
11-20-2016, 05:56 AM
I use iMazing to backup my iPhone 5s locally and one of it's options is to store settings and passwords as well. In order to do this the backup needs to be encrypted which was not a problem but it warns you that this will mean iTunes backup preferences will also change to encrypted. This gave me the option to stop my local backup and backup via iTunes to iCloud. So I have a local backup on my MBPr including settings and passwords and iTunes iCloud backup which tells me it will: "Backup the most important data on your iPhone to iCloud." My question is what exactly is my "most important data"? I assume that means Health and HomeKit info along with passwords and settings (not that I have any Health and HomeKit data because I dont use those apps) because that's what's listed under the encryption option. It's just a little grey, I know I'm covered but I see my iCloud storage growing slowly and i wonder what is being stored? It's not a security concern I'd just like to know what is being backed up and more importantly how to delete old backups from iCloud.

Ember1205
11-20-2016, 11:55 AM
Rod

If the backup program you're using is making changes to the iTunes settings, I have to wonder what your program is actually doing on its own compared to just being a new front-end to the iTunes components.

iTunes can back up all of your passwords and health data by... wait for it... encrypting the backup. :)

chscag
11-20-2016, 09:20 PM
Just a bit of info about "iMazing"... It does not require iTunes not does it make changes to iTunes settings. And it is not a "new front end to iTunes". The latest version is "iMazing 2".

Rod Sprague
11-20-2016, 10:00 PM
Yes, I have iMazing 2 and no it's not a new front end to iTunes, I get that, I got it in a software package quite cheap and started using it because it gave me more control of local backups but although it was a while ago I'm pretty sure that when I opted for iMazing to store passwords and settings it stated I must select encrypted backup and that the next time I did a sync to iTunes I noticed that had changed to encrypted as well so not wanting to duplicate I opted for backup to iCloud.
My understanding was this would not be a "Full" backup but just what Apple decribes as "most important data".
Backups now show two dates; one for the most recent iCloud backup and one for the last full backup to this computer. All good.
My question is; what is my "most important data"? Can I delete old backups on the MBP and how and can I do the same with the iCloud backups?

Avangardo
11-21-2016, 07:37 AM
Thanks for all advices! Actually, I have both Dropbox and Google Drive, the first has restrictions in size and the second - i've installed lately and it synchronized only few my photos, not all! Now I'm trying Google Photo.
Besides, Apple's prices on the memory enhancement are not high i think, so if all the ways will fail i'll better pay for more space )

Tomsonn
02-27-2017, 03:41 AM
5 GB isn't really much as iCloud storage. I was hoping Apple will raise it to 10GB at least for free.

tuckeratlarge
03-01-2017, 02:20 PM
I think they should give you free space for the size of your device and add together all your devices storage rather than just giving you 5GB. They have a mountain of cash so it's not as if they cannot afford it.

I have an iPhone 16GB, iPad 64GB, MacBook Pro 256GB - so with my rudimentary maths skills that's 336GB I should have for free.

Ember1205
03-01-2017, 08:05 PM
I think they should give you free space for the size of your device and add together all your devices storage rather than just giving you 5GB. They have a mountain of cash so it's not as if they cannot afford it.

I have an iPhone 16GB, iPad 64GB, MacBook Pro 256GB - so with my rudimentary maths skills that's 336GB I should have for free.

I disagree.

I have two 128G phones and a 128G tablet. I use a single 5G account and am able to manage my storage usage by limiting certain aspects of what I back up to the cloud.

5G is extremely limiting, especially in light of the fact that applications back up their data by default. Do you REALLY need to tie up 750MB of storage for your Facebook app? Why? What's the big deal if it isn't there? And, if I'm switching devices, I -NEVER- rely on the cloud and do it via iTunes.

I don't need 384GB of space. But, 10GB would sure make like a whole lot simpler, AND it would let me use some of the features of iCloud Drive that I currently can not.

xboxmahoney
07-16-2017, 02:30 AM
Apple have quietly added a tier to their iCloud storage options, 2Tb. It makes sense I guess with the possibility of setting the base level iPhone at 32Gb and some suggesting that a 256GB iPhone may appear to join the 256GB iPad Pro. Not to mention the new feature of macOS Sierra that lets you store your Documents and Desktop folders in iCloud, to be synced between all your Macs. With people generating more and more data and (wisely) backing it up the bottom tier of 5Gb free looks pretty paltry. After all I'm sure that the revenue generated by iCloud storage doesn't amount to anything significant for Apple why not allow us low level users access to a bit more for free.
Personally I use iCloud Keychain, iCloud Drive (to sync my Password manager), Mail (which I don't use), Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Notes and the essential Find My iPhone. The whole lot only uses 1.5 Gb but I would use a lot more if it was free. If I add iCloud Photo Library for example I am well, close the limit. I used to use it but I got sick of being constantly bugged by messages that I'm almost out of space to store my backup, along with a threatening dialogue box encouraging me to upgrade my storage plan or I won't be able to use my iCloud email service. In fact given that I have 64Gb storage on my iPhone 5s it might not be unreasonable to expect a base level of 25Gb.:Smirk:

What I would love to see happen is free cloud storage given based on what device that you have purchased and are signed onto. Buy a 128GB iPhone, you get 128GB of space. However, from a business standpoint, I guess they see why they charge extra for the additional store age. I mean, it does cost to maintain those cloud servers that d protect your device data.

Rod Sprague
07-16-2017, 06:48 AM
Well it was a while ago when I read wrote that article, since then apple have restructured their iCloud storage plans and I now get 50 Gb for $0.99 which I think is pretty reasonable.

chscag
07-16-2017, 03:20 PM
Yes, 50 GB for $.99 is very reasonable. However, Microsoft will give you 1TB for free if you have an Office 365 subscription. I'm thinking about subscribing since we now have an iPad Pro. MS does not allow editing of its free apps on a tablet that is 10" or more unless you have a subscription. Which means I can edit word docs on my iPhone (that's very difficult to do) but not on my new 10.5" iPad Pro.

Rod Sprague
07-16-2017, 10:54 PM
Hm, that's an interesting restriction that I was not aware of, I guess I can understand it i.e. you can edit on a free app if it's on a device that's too small to make editing practical. How can MS tell if you are using the same app on a larger device, or is it a different version of the app?

chscag
07-17-2017, 01:04 AM
How can MS tell if you are using the same app on a larger device, or is it a different version of the app?

Apparently, they can detect the hardware you're using their iOS Office apps on. The subscription to Office 365 Personal is only $69.99 year and includes all the Office apps. You can install it on 1 tablet, 1 iPhone or Android, and on 1 PC or Mac.

Rod Sprague
07-17-2017, 09:32 PM
I suppose I should have guessed they could do that, still it always surprises me how much providers know about users. I bought the MS Office suite a year ago so I get 50Gb.