PDA

View Full Version : Start up question

Nettshubby
07-02-2017, 07:30 AM
I went to start my mac yesterday and after putting in my password, the screen went black except for the pointer in top left corner.
I could move the pointer with the mouse but nothing else happened for about 15 seconds, then the normal desktop appeared.
I ran the disc utility, and then did a basic Bitdefender check but nothing untoward came up.
Could this be a problem "starting"!?
The mac is pretty new and is running latest Sierra.

Slydude
07-02-2017, 08:32 AM
If this is the only time this happens I wouldn't be too worried. It wouldn't hurt to boot from the recovery partition, launch Disk Utility, then Run Disk First Aid. See here (https://blog.macsales.com/38008-rocket-yard-guide-using-macos-sierra-disk-utility-to-verify-or-repair-disks) for directions.

ferrarr
07-02-2017, 08:35 AM
Did it only happen this once, or has it happened before or since? How full is the startup drive? Can you give more information about your Mac, like model and year, processor, ram, drive size and space used/free? How often do you restart or shutdown the Mac? Do you have any anti-virus or security software installed? I'm not familiar with Bitdefender, but I wouldn't use it.

MacInWin
07-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Get rid of Bitdefender, you don't need it and it COULD be the source of the problem.