PDA

View Full Version : Safari keeps opening a new tab and its really annoying

michaeloriley
06-29-2017, 10:28 AM
The new tab is usually a fake Amazon ad. I've searched preferences, but cannot find any option to disable this annoyance. This doesn't seem like a complicated matter. Advice would be most appreciated. Thank you! - Michael

toMACsh
06-29-2017, 01:49 PM
Download, install and run Malwarebytes.

Also, for the future, get Ghostery and AdBlock (Plus?).

pm-r
06-29-2017, 09:09 PM
What OS version and what Mac/iDevice are you using???

- Patrick
======

Gandalph
06-29-2017, 10:36 PM
+1 for Malwarebytes and Ghostery and Adblock. Between them they do a great job.

michaeloriley
06-30-2017, 09:21 AM
10.1.1 Macbook Air.

michaeloriley
06-30-2017, 09:22 AM
Many thanks for your replies and help!

pm-r
06-30-2017, 03:35 PM
10.1.1 Macbook Air.

Hmmm…??? I really don't think so. And maybe what year??

Even the first Original MB Air came with Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.5.1
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/index-macbook-air.html

Have you tried any of the suggestions and have things improved??

- Patrick
======

michaeloriley
06-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Year is 2015. I'm still getting the unwanted window. Thank you.

pm-r
06-30-2017, 04:57 PM
Year is 2015. I'm still getting the unwanted window. Thank you.

Well, I guess we might eventually get there with some specs and info that could possible help solve your problem.

It seems you have a 2015 MB Air, but what actual Mac OS X version is it running. The info can be found under the apple (menu) it the "About This Mac…" window.

And again I ask, have you tried any of the suggestions from above??? Like, did you install and run Malwarebytes???
Download from here:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Is/are the annoying ad(s) actually showing up in an actual browser Tab(s) window(s) or just in its own separate popup window??

Can you possibly take a screenshot and post it here to give us a better idea of what you're getting??

- Patrick
======

michaeloriley
06-30-2017, 08:21 PM
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5. My previous attempt at downloading and running Malwarebytes failed, but I successfully dl'd the link you sent (thanks!) and ran a scan. Removed many malicious items. We shall see how it works. If the problem crops up again, I will take a screen shot for the next post. Many thanks for your kind help. - Michael

pm-r
06-30-2017, 08:48 PM
Many thanks for your kind help.

You're welcome and lets hope things are fixed for you.

- Patrick
======

MacInWin
07-01-2017, 12:03 PM
To keep the problems from occurring in the first place, Ghostery and AdBlock, as recommended in post #2, will block the malware. If anything gets through, malwarebytes should remove it. But it's better to block in the first place.

pm-r
07-01-2017, 12:52 PM
To keep the problems from occurring in the first place, Ghostery and AdBlock, as recommended in post #2, will block the malware. If anything gets through, malwarebytes should remove it. But it's better to block in the first place.

+1 but with one possible exception.

I can't recall the exact reasons, but I finally ended up removing Ghostery as it seemed to be getting quite invasive as well as annoying.

But it is recommended a lot by others, so YMMV.

Malwarebytes is a MUST HAVE, IMHO, as well as AdBlock!!!

- Patrick
======