PDA

View Full Version : Recovering files

earley
06-29-2017, 10:12 AM
Before I bought a new iMac I put all of my personal stuff on an external drive. After I set up my new iMac I downloaded my personal stuff. The folders appeared but the contents of the folders was gone. Is there any way to retrieve the contents?

Slydude
06-29-2017, 10:20 AM
A couple of questions occur to me that might affect how we proceed:

1. Do you still have access to the original files? If so what are they on (Windows PC, flash drive, etc)?
2. How exactly did you do the transfer?

earley
06-29-2017, 11:11 AM
Slydude,
When I discovered that the downloaded folders were empty I went back to the external hard drive to see if the folder contents were there (on the Verbatim EHD). I found that only JPEGs had disappeared, so I assume that the JPEG downloads from my old iMac never got to the Verbaim. I am wondering if they might be somewhere on my server, Atlantic Broadband. I transferred the original files via the 'drag and drop' approach.

earley
06-29-2017, 11:44 AM
Also, when I put the folders on the Verbatim I transferred the folder, not the contents.

Slydude
06-29-2017, 12:03 PM
Also, when I put the folders on the Verbatim I transferred the folder, not the contents.
Do you mean that you copied (drag and dropped) entire folders rather than opening the folders an moving batches of files via drag and drop?

BTW Do you know/remember what protocol is being used on the file server (SMB, AFP, etc)? I'm not sure that matters but I seem to recall that sometimes being problematic. It's been a while since I dealt with potential server problems of any kind though so my memory may be failing me.

earley
06-29-2017, 12:16 PM
Yes, I 'drag and dropped' the folder, not the contents. In my infinite stupidity I never checked to see if the folder contents were transferred. I watched the download bar as I transferred the folders and it seemed like the process took long enough, so I didn't check.
I don't know the server protocol. Do you know how I can query the server?

Slydude
06-29-2017, 01:01 PM
There probably is a way but I'm not sure. May not be an issue in your case though. I seem to remember my having this issue with one of those home type server devices that had bug in thee software. I'll try to do some digging later today and see what I can find out.

ferrarr
06-29-2017, 01:20 PM
Do you have a backup of the "old" iMac? Either Time Machine or clone? Also, you could just transfer the folders and files over your home network.

earley
06-29-2017, 03:36 PM
Thanks Slydude

earley
06-29-2017, 03:43 PM
I don't have a backup of the 'old' iMac Ferrari. The personal stuff that I put on the Verbatim apparently never transferred the JPEGs. Not sure what you mean about transfer over my home network.

ferrarr
06-29-2017, 09:11 PM
How do you connect to the internet? When you say your server is Atlantic Broadband, do you mean Internet Provider?

earley
06-30-2017, 10:42 AM
Yes Ferrari, Atlantic Broadband is my internet provider

chscag
06-30-2017, 08:55 PM
Your internet provider normally does not store files or folders unless you have purchased space from them for that purpose. They might store your mail depending on what kind of an account you have but not files or folders unless you have made some other arrangement with them.

earley
07-01-2017, 08:48 AM
So, I guess that the fils are irretrievable 'chscag'. Too bad. Lot of memories gone. The next time I'll be smarter in the transfer. The machine wins again. Thanks.

ferrarr
07-02-2017, 04:43 PM
The files you put on the Verbatim, where did they come from, and where is that device now?

earley
07-02-2017, 05:05 PM
Ferrari, the files came from my old iMac, and I transferred via drag and drop. The device is on my computer desk.

Slydude
07-02-2017, 05:48 PM
Check that drive to see if the files are actually on the drive. If they are then it will probably work t just copy the files as you id the first time. I am starting to wonder if the missing files are actually on that drive. If they are they should have copied by the drag and drop method.

Have you ever used one of these syncing utilities to copy files to the drive? Sometimes the will goof up the copy.

earley
07-02-2017, 06:01 PM
Slydude, After I thought that I had transferred the files to my Verbatim external drive I, in my infinity stupidity, didn't check to see if they got there, All but the JPEGs got transferred. The JPEGs were the most important thing that I wanted to save. I guess that they are gone forever. Live and learn. Machine wins again.

pm-r
07-02-2017, 06:07 PM
I didn't notice it mentioned so my apologies if it was, but where is the "old iMac" now and is it still available to access its data??

And no, I'm not referring to the external drive.

- Patrick
======

ferrarr
07-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Thanks Patrick, that was what I was getting at. If the files were still on the original device and, if early still had the device, he could still get the files to his new iMac. Did you wipe the old iMac already, or is it still on your computer desk?

earley
07-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Good suggestion. I still have my old iMac. Kept it as a backup in case of problems with the new one. I'll dig it out and see if the files are there.

pm-r
07-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Good suggestion. I still have my old iMac. Kept it as a backup in case of problems with the new one. I'll dig it out and see if the files are there.

That will be interesting to find out what it might be hiding. ;D

- Patrick
======

earley
07-03-2017, 03:51 PM
I'll let this thread know what I find. Thanks very much for all of the help.