• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

August Total Eclipse in the US

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
So who is planning on seeing the big show?

I live about 200 miles south of the Totality path, so will be road tripping, just haven't decided exactly where. Thinking Cape Girardieau Mo may be my best bet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
At the risk of having this deleted by your fellow Mods, Ashwin, I blame 'the Donald' for this!!!

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At the risk of having this deleted by your fellow Mods, Ashwin, I blame 'the Donald' for this!!!

:D
Lol

A mere Eclipse is not nearly dramatic enough or I might agree with you . . .

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You gotta watch those fellows from down below Mike. They're so far south that a total eclipse has no effect on them. ;P

I'm assuming you're going to travel to a prime viewing area? And of course take lots of photos. I briefly looked at the path it's going to take - looks like from Oregon to South Carolina. Hope the viewing weather is good.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You gotta watch those fellows from down below Mike. They're so far south that a total eclipse has no effect on them. ;P

I'm assuming you're going to travel to a prime viewing area? And of course take lots of photos. I briefly looked at the path it's going to take - looks like from Oregon to South Carolina. Hope the viewing weather is good.

That is the big sticking point in all of this.
My wife has family in Oregon she wants to visit sometime, so I considered combining the trips and catching the Eclipse as it came on shore. But, it would really stink to go on that way and be rained or clouded out. But, I'm willing to risk a 200 mile drive, plus it will be easy to bail if it is obvious the weather will be uncooperative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
We had thick cloud the last time we had an eclipse visible from the NE of England (March 2015) so I had no hope of getting any shots. I set my camera up anyway, sulked but stayed watching and suddenly the clouds broke. Hand held, iso 400, f6.3, 1/2000 sec.
P1100182.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
I requested the days off to go to the closest spot that has totality with my daughter (10) who is a burgeoning space geek/Neil DeGrasse Tyson fan, and possibly whole family (5 total with 2 toddlers and wife added).
We may air BnB it if we all go, I live in WV and the shortest drive to totality is Hopkinsville KY. It is a good long trip for me.. about 550 miles one way.
My thoughts are, if I could have seen one while younger (I have never witnessed a Solar eclipse), I may have had more interest in astronomy and I would be a better photographer for that reason.
While having a 10 year old who is interested in the whole event (more so than just liking astronauts and such as every kid does), I feel its a pretty good reason to make the hike there and back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Focal length 108mm, but this was taken with a superzoom Lumix FZ45 bridge camera (25-600mm) so not sure how that translates to DSLR.

Do the trip. You might not have another chance. The next one for the UK as good as 2015 is in 2026 and I'm getting on so may not be around!

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally managed to get hotel reservations someplace fairly strategically located for the Eclipse. Motel is just outside the Totality Band, but an easy drive over good roads.
Everything within the Band (at least where I want to stay) is already booked.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Mike:

Keeping our fingers crossed for good weather! :)

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Mike:

Keeping our fingers crossed for good weather! :)

Thanks, Charlie.
My plan is to visit my kids in NWA a couple of days before the big day, and based on the 3 day weather forecast adjust from there. Can go, North, East, or West from there. Have decided I'm willing to drive as far as Nebraska if that is what it takes, but not willing to lock in until we have a better idea of what the weather is going to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fingers crossed for you. Don't forget to post the results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 in Sierra 10.12.3
I am going to Salem Or. to visit my brother this weekend and hey there happens to be an eclipse on Monday. I've been practicing taking pictures of the sun with my camera.

DSCN0878.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1

I don't think it's that Chas, I think it's because when the eclipse happens it's night time there so they miss out and don't see anything else than the moon eclipses ;D;D

I took some photos of that eclipse and I used a very special and expensive filter. Well it cost the NHS anyway because it was an unexposed part of an Xray of my wrist operation. It worked a treat and if I can find the photos I will post them. They were taken here in France so it wasn't quite so complete if I remember that far back?

Edit : - Nearly forgot. One of the U.K. news papers is predicting an overload on the mobile phone systems in the total path. So best be prepaired for that I suppose you guys?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 in Sierra 10.12.3
Here is a few of my best. The traffic out of there was INSANE>

DSCN0919.jpg

DSCN0939.jpg

DSCN1054.jpg

DSCN1055.jpg

DSCN1061.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Pat:

Fantastic photos! Thanks for posting them. Watched most of it on TV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.