PDA

View Full Version : August Total Eclipse in the US

RavingMac
06-27-2017, 11:17 PM
So who is planning on seeing the big show?

I live about 200 miles south of the Totality path, so will be road tripping, just haven't decided exactly where. Thinking Cape Girardieau Mo may be my best bet.

harryb2448
06-27-2017, 11:45 PM
At the risk of having this deleted by your fellow Mods, Ashwin, I blame 'the Donald' for this!!!

RavingMac
06-28-2017, 12:05 AM
At the risk of having this deleted by your fellow Mods, Ashwin, I blame 'the Donald' for this!!!

:D
Lol

A mere Eclipse is not nearly dramatic enough or I might agree with you . . .

chscag
06-28-2017, 03:17 AM
You gotta watch those fellows from down below Mike. They're so far south that a total eclipse has no effect on them. ;P

I'm assuming you're going to travel to a prime viewing area? And of course take lots of photos. I briefly looked at the path it's going to take - looks like from Oregon to South Carolina. Hope the viewing weather is good.

RavingMac
06-28-2017, 09:45 AM
You gotta watch those fellows from down below Mike. They're so far south that a total eclipse has no effect on them. ;P

I'm assuming you're going to travel to a prime viewing area? And of course take lots of photos. I briefly looked at the path it's going to take - looks like from Oregon to South Carolina. Hope the viewing weather is good.

That is the big sticking point in all of this.
My wife has family in Oregon she wants to visit sometime, so I considered combining the trips and catching the Eclipse as it came on shore. But, it would really stink to go on that way and be rained or clouded out. But, I'm willing to risk a 200 mile drive, plus it will be easy to bail if it is obvious the weather will be uncooperative.

badshoehabit
06-28-2017, 03:09 PM
We had thick cloud the last time we had an eclipse visible from the NE of England (March 2015) so I had no hope of getting any shots. I set my camera up anyway, sulked but stayed watching and suddenly the clouds broke. Hand held, iso 400, f6.3, 1/2000 sec.

Ttaylor394
06-28-2017, 11:19 PM
I requested the days off to go to the closest spot that has totality with my daughter (10) who is a burgeoning space geek/Neil DeGrasse Tyson fan, and possibly whole family (5 total with 2 toddlers and wife added).
We may air BnB it if we all go, I live in WV and the shortest drive to totality is Hopkinsville KY. It is a good long trip for me.. about 550 miles one way.
My thoughts are, if I could have seen one while younger (I have never witnessed a Solar eclipse), I may have had more interest in astronomy and I would be a better photographer for that reason.
While having a 10 year old who is interested in the whole event (more so than just liking astronauts and such as every kid does), I feel its a pretty good reason to make the hike there and back.

Ttaylor394
06-28-2017, 11:20 PM
iso 400, f6.3, 1/2000 sec. 26675
what focal length?

badshoehabit
06-29-2017, 07:04 AM
Focal length 108mm, but this was taken with a superzoom Lumix FZ45 bridge camera (25-600mm) so not sure how that translates to DSLR.

Do the trip. You might not have another chance. The next one for the UK as good as 2015 is in 2026 and I'm getting on so may not be around!

RavingMac
08-06-2017, 09:29 PM
Finally managed to get hotel reservations someplace fairly strategically located for the Eclipse. Motel is just outside the Totality Band, but an easy drive over good roads.
Everything within the Band (at least where I want to stay) is already booked.

chscag
08-06-2017, 10:08 PM
Hi Mike:

Keeping our fingers crossed for good weather! :)

RavingMac
08-06-2017, 10:23 PM
Hi Mike:

Keeping our fingers crossed for good weather! :)

Thanks, Charlie.
My plan is to visit my kids in NWA a couple of days before the big day, and based on the 3 day weather forecast adjust from there. Can go, North, East, or West from there. Have decided I'm willing to drive as far as Nebraska if that is what it takes, but not willing to lock in until we have a better idea of what the weather is going to be.

badshoehabit
08-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Fingers crossed for you. Don't forget to post the results.

RavingMac
08-07-2017, 06:12 PM
Fingers crossed for you. Don't forget to post the results.

Thanks, will do.

Yamaha Pat
08-15-2017, 11:35 PM
I am going to Salem Or. to visit my brother this weekend and hey there happens to be an eclipse on Monday. I've been practicing taking pictures of the sun with my camera.

Jonzjob
08-19-2017, 07:12 AM

I don't think it's that Chas, I think it's because when the eclipse happens it's night time there so they miss out and don't see anything else than the moon eclipses ;D;D

I took some photos of that eclipse and I used a very special and expensive filter. Well it cost the NHS anyway because it was an unexposed part of an Xray of my wrist operation. It worked a treat and if I can find the photos I will post them. They were taken here in France so it wasn't quite so complete if I remember that far back?

Edit : - Nearly forgot. One of the U.K. news papers is predicting an overload on the mobile phone systems in the total path. So best be prepaired for that I suppose you guys?

Yamaha Pat
08-24-2017, 12:07 AM
Here is a few of my best. The traffic out of there was INSANE>

chscag
08-24-2017, 12:22 AM
Hey Pat:

Fantastic photos! Thanks for posting them. Watched most of it on TV.

pm-r
08-24-2017, 12:48 AM
Hey Pat:

Fantastic photos! Thanks for posting them. Watched most of it on TV.

+1 !!!

And do you think these folks got back home yet…???

http://gazette.com/article/1609584?TC_SC_REF

- Patrick
======

badshoehabit
08-24-2017, 02:26 PM
Great pix.

Raz0rEdge
08-24-2017, 02:50 PM
Nice shots! We only had about 63% here in Boston, but it was still cool to see..maybe the 2024 Eclipse will be closer to us and we catch more..

Yamaha Pat
08-24-2017, 09:53 PM
Lucky for me I was on a motorcycle my friend in a car took about 5 1/2 hrs to get to Eugene from Salem (110 miles). But I would do it again in a heartbeat.

XJ-linux
08-24-2017, 10:07 PM
We tried to catch it here in Minnesota, but there were just too many clouds. As we say around here "If summer comes on a weekend this year, we can have a picnic if it doesn't rain." Ah, well. We'll try again in 7 years I guess.

ferrarr
08-24-2017, 10:54 PM
@ Yamaha pat - Great pics, thanks for sharing. We had clouds where I am, nothing to see. I'm also waiting for the next one.

MacInWin
08-25-2017, 04:01 PM
My wife and I went to Columbia, SC. It was amazing. I got zero pictures, but that's ok, I spent the time actually looking at it instead of trying to get a camera to work. The traffic afterwards was horrendous, but we went just a short distance (<100 miles) and stopped for the night, then drove the rest of the way the next day, which was much better.

toMACsh
08-25-2017, 05:16 PM
I didn't travel for this one. We were in the 83% zone or thereabout. It was cloudy, but I did see the Crescent Sun.

Next time, it passes right over my sister's house. Might have to pay her a visit for a few days - to avoid the traffic jams.

pm-r
08-25-2017, 07:00 PM
I got zero pictures, but that's ok, I spent the time actually looking at it instead of trying to get a camera to work.

The best way to view such events and keep them stored in one's own memory!! :D

And I posted a link above (post #19) to some of the traffic they had in Wyoming which I'm sure was typical across the US.

We were fairly lucky with clear skys and a block out of 90 per cent of the sun, the largest percentage anywhere in Canada. But we watched most of it via the NASA website coverage from Oregon.

- Patrick
======

RavingMac
08-29-2017, 12:33 AM
Great pics!
Combination of weather and poor health kept us home, but the one in 2024 is support to pass right over us. We'll see . . .

pm-r
08-29-2017, 01:09 PM
Great pics!
Combination of weather and poor health kept us home, but the one in 2024 is support to pass right over us. We'll see . . .

I hope the health improves and the sky clears for your future viewing, but there's no sign of "In Denial" using Google Maps.app. :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

toMACsh
08-29-2017, 01:52 PM
... the one in 2024 is support to pass right over us. We'll see . . .

Not sure where you got that info from. If you're in BC, I don't think it will be close to you. It is traveling in a north by northeast direction over the Midwest US. Check me out on this; I could be wrong...

pm-r
08-29-2017, 02:36 PM
@toMACsh

Not sure where you got that info from. If you're in BC, I don't think it will be close to you.

I think you might have got the poster's locations confused, and yes, we won't be able to view it, but you'd have to know where "In Denial" is or ask RavingMac.

PS: I don't think he's even close to being in B.C. :Mischievous:

- Patrick
======

chscag
08-29-2017, 03:31 PM
As far as I know, Mike (RavingMac) still lives in Razorback country. (Arkansas) In case you're not familiar with Arkansas, it's a suburb of Texas. (we haven't annexed it yet) ;P

pm-r
08-29-2017, 05:02 PM
In case you're not familiar with Arkansas, it's a suburb of Texas. (we haven't annexed it yet)

I didn't know about or heard about "Razorback country", but I see that Texas hasn't annexed Louisiana, Oklahoma, or New Mexico yet either, and I doubt that ol' Don would allow you to even consider doing anything with Mexico. :Oops: :Mischievous:

PS: Actually I thought Razorbacks were some some kind of a dry country snake. Oh dear!!!

EDIT:
I see that Texas seems to have a much worse problem with Razorbacka (wild pigs) than Arkansas or most any other areas.

- Patrick
======

Slydude
08-29-2017, 08:27 PM
As far as I know, Mike (RavingMac) still lives in Razorback country. (Arkansas) In case you're not familiar with Arkansas, it's a suburb of Texas. (we haven't annexed it yet) ;P
According to Texans, everything​ is a suburb of Texas. lol

pm-r
08-29-2017, 08:34 PM
According to Texans, everything​ is a suburb of Texas. lol

And they ALL wear those huge BIG hats right…??? :Oops:

- Patrick
======

toMACsh
08-30-2017, 01:53 PM
@toMACsh

I think you might have got the poster's locations confused, and yes, we won't be able to view it, but you'd have to know where "In Denial" is or ask RavingMac.

PS: I don't think he's even close to being in B.C. :Mischievous:

- Patrick
======

Yes, I picked up the "BC" from your post, obviously. :Blushing:

I had looked at the path for the 2024 eclipse because my sister lives in SE Illinois, right in the path of totality. I've made "reservations"!

pm-r
08-30-2017, 04:09 PM
I had looked at the path for the 2024 eclipse because my sister lives in SE Illinois, right in the path of totality. I've made "reservations"!

;D
Golly, you're almost next door using space dimensions but I guess 250±miles south can make a bit of difference when viewing.

But don't forget to take some good steaks and some of that famous Wisconsin beer!!! ;)

- Patrick
======

toMACsh
09-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Yeah, it's on an arc moving away from our location.
Just over 350 miles from my door to my sister's.