• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Oh the joy of the holidays!

J

jerodhusvar

Shipping man come today with much to make me happy. 12 G5's, all with no homes yet. Let's see how this does compared to the G4 466 on my desk now. :) Woohoo!

Jerod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i can give some of those G5's a really nice home :D

OP
J

jerodhusvar

Hee hee, if only they were mine to play Santa with. Alas, they're for the new training center. (which hasn't been built yet, thus, no homes.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Do you get to keep one at least?
Do you at least get to open them up and test them out? Make sure they work? Network them all together.. through LAN parties! Test those video cards out, play some WCIII.

Wholly crap, just run away man! Just run with them!

OP
J

jerodhusvar

*chuckle*

I have one set up on my second desk and I've been playing with it. Without having any powerhouse applications for it, though, I have no idea what the beast can actually do. And loading a game on it would be a definite no-no. The only indication I have of the performance of the machine so far is that it took 7 minutes to completely install OpenOffice including installing X11. That's not too shabby. :)

Oh, and the Red Pill screen saver really rocks if you're a Matrix fan,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
the way i test the G5 speed, is open up the applications folder, and do a select all (command+a) and then do a command+o and watch how they all open without lag. its amazing on a dual 2ghz with only 512mb

OP
J

jerodhusvar

Well, it blew my mind on this G5 1.6 with 1.25gb, too! That was mighty impressive. I'm not *EVEN* gonna try that on this 466 ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.