• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

internal drive almost FULL!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
I have 120gb internal drive on my macbook air, early 2015.

I have been doing some work moving files around and copying to external drives as I found with all drives I had many duplicates. Deleted many from internal drive on Macbook too.

This morning I woke up only to get message that my drive was almost full. WOW!
What a shocker.
I cleaned out my trash and that seemed to at least get rid of the terrifying message that drive was almost full. It still look pretty full.

So I copied all my data on desktop, in documents, pictures, music, movies and any other folder I thought there may be files to another external drive. And deleted all my files on macbook.
Nothing anywhere that I could find to delete.

I then emptied my trash. shut down to rest a bit. then restarted again.

i checked my storage and the OTHER section is 40.49GB...what on earth is included in that?

I realize that apps and related files take up room but that much???

can anyone shed some light?
I dont imagine browser bookmarks and history takes room for this section.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Grab a copy of Disk Inventory X and run it to figure out what is taking up the space on your SSD based on the size of the blocks that appear..

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i installed Disk Inventory X but am unable to find out how to select the OTHER folder for storage on macbook.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What is the other folder?

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When one clicks on Apple icon top left and select storage.....there are several folders. One is the Other folder.
I have over 40gb in that folder and Wuld like to know what's there and if I can delete anything.

Reaction score
can anyone shed some light?

We just had a similar thread.

http://www.mac-forums.com/os-x-operating-system/341250-eating-storage-machine.html?highlight=

Instead of repeating what is there, why don't you have a look through that thread and if none of the suggestions in that thread prove to be helpful, report back, tell us what you did and what the results were, and we can work from there.

That said, as a first course of action I recommend that you download:

YASU (free)
https://yasuformac.com

and have it run everything except "Reset Launch Services". See if that helps.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Unfortunately in the thread mentioned above the problem was not solved despite excellent suggestions from several members. "Other" as a classification usually refers to data associated with other files or files that do not fit into the other storage descriptions. Caches, user data, geolocations. metadata, browser caches, temporary files, fonts, app accessories, user library items etc, etc. One of the best things suggested was OnyX but at last post the OP had not tried that. The disclaimer that OnyX provides is an example of how responsible the developers are, it's not meant to scare people off. The same warnings should accompany many apps. You should always have a backup. So I suggest you follow the instructions that accompanied the post mentioning OnyX.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yasu is good too but not be helpful in this case.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thankyou randy for the link to previous similar post. Will look into those things.

M

MacInWin

And just for clarity, Other is NOT a folder, but a category (and a badly defined one at that) of files. That display you are using is notoriously inaccurate both in showing the total space used and the categories. You get a more accurate indication of how much space is left on your drive by right-clicking and then Get Info. The resulting window will tell you how much space you actually have free on the drive.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blast! Thanks Randy, consequence of using dictation.
I meant to say "Yasu is good too might be helpful in this case.
My apologies, lori5060 I did not mean to mislead you there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.