PDA

View Full Version : Apple announces name for next version of macOS

chscag
06-06-2017, 06:51 PM
macOS 10.13.X is officially named "High Sierra"

Apple announces name of next version of OS X (https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/05/apple-announces-macos-high-sierra/)

Raz0rEdge
06-06-2017, 06:58 PM
I like how Craig Federighi was making fun on the name "High Sierra" and other names that they announced realizing that they were just silly..;)

mucegi
06-07-2017, 10:20 AM
What are the main new features with 10.13?

IWT
06-07-2017, 10:24 AM
My initial thought was that this was an unfortunate name likely to cause confusion - Sierra v High Sierra. But there are precedents for this approach: Leopard/Snow Leopard; Lion/Mountain Lion.

And on further reading, it seems likely that High Sierra is more of an add-on or expansion of Sierra than a "full blown" upgrade, so the name is probably appropriate.

Not that Apple cares what I think, but....:Mischievous:

Ian

IWT
06-07-2017, 10:26 AM
What are the main new features with 10.13?

Have a read of this: http://tidbits.com/article/17277

Ian

Raz0rEdge
06-07-2017, 10:38 AM
My initial thought was that this was an unfortunate name likely to cause confusion - Sierra v High Sierra. But there are precedents for this approach: Leopard/Snow Leopard; Lion/Mountain Lion.

And on further reading, it seems likely that High Sierra is more of an add-on or expansion of Sierra than a "full blown" upgrade, so the name is probably appropriate.

Not that Apple cares what I think, but....:Mischievous:

Ian

Ian, that's the path that Apple is following in general it seems..iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5S, etc..and with the macOS/OS X versions, a major upgrade following by a feature enhancement followed by a major upgrade..

McBie
06-07-2017, 12:32 PM
I still prefer the names of the big cats ..... OSX Garfield would have been the best version ever :-)

Cheers ... McBie

pigoo3
06-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Goofy or not. The code names of the various versions of the Mac OS are certainly more interesting/creative than what Windows does.;) Although I will admit the numbering system for Windows OS versions does help in knowing what version is newer/older...where the code names for the Mac OS tell us nothing (at first glance) what version is older/newer.

Of course Apple did the same thing with the Classic Mac OS (going from System 1 thru System 9)...from 1984 thru 1999. But then in 2001 Apple took a different direction...and focused more on the code names rather than version numbers for each OS version.:)

- Nick