General development questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
Hello fellow developers!

I just have a few questions about development now that I have my MacBook Pro...

I assume I use Xcode for most of my development needs, but is there any recommended reading you suggest for making my C/C++ programs into Aqua-based GUI apps? I'm awesome at programming but know NOTHING about making GUI (especially mac aqua GUI) apps and I feel so lost... I'd like to jump into NeoOffice or Mactheripper and lend a hand but don't know where to start.

Also - Applescript and cocoa look intriguing, but again, I don't know where to start. I don't even quite understand what they are for compared to other languages, etc. What would be the best language/interface/tools to allow my apps to be ported easily between all the *nixes, such as OS X, linux, and *BSD?

Let me know anything you can! I look forward to lending my skills to the benefit of all mac users!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Applescript is a simple scripting language for OS X and applescript enabled apps. Kind of like Command-line Automator Extreme for programmers...
The syntax is very easy to learn though, as it uses regular english expressions.

Cocoa - (as I understand it) is an set of standardized interface elements for OS X apps that take care of a lot of things for the programmer.

For example: If you create a cocoa text-box, you also get automatic spell checking and a standardized look & feel. (AFAIK)

As for the rest of your questions: I'll have to pass on them to the rest of our panel, but I' definitely check out developers.apple.com for more general info (if you haven't already).

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
Yeah - I checked out developer.apple.com but the info is so general it's like telling my mom what programming is ;D lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.