iPhone 7 wifi issue

Reaction score
Why my wifi slow I'm connected but at points pages won't load on iPhone 7 ??

Apple ran diagnostics and it passed
Restored in iTunes no luck

Rest network settings no luck

Call my cable company they rebooted my router/modem and it worked for a little time

What should I do next and also my iPhone was replaced weeks ago with a brand new one ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about when you use your iPhone 7 away from your home network? Like at a free hotspot (Starbucks, Panera, McDonalds, etc)? How is the WiFi reception then?

OP
A
Reaction score
Nope but at my home my iPad Pro 9.7 wifi works fine my iPhone 7 is the one affected with the issue

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't answer the question about whether your iPhone 7 works ok away from home on other WiFi networks. And if your iPad works ok on your home network, that would indicate something in settings is not right or your iPhone 7 has a hardware problem. Have it checked out by Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hmmm…??? Not sure how to translate this:
"Apple ran diagnostics and it passed
Restored in iTunes no luck
"

But sure lots of hits with a google search:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=eDouWY3HL9PM8geClKm4Cw

that includes:
6. Wi-Fi Problems
Wi-Fi problems are one of the most common issues users face with their iPhone. If your new iPhone 7 is having troubles connecting to a Wi-Fi network, then you can read the following article to find out how to fix the issue:
Tips and Tricks to Fix iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus Wi-Fi Problems

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/09/fix-iphone-7-problems.html

and suggested fixes:
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/09/fix-ios-10-wifi-problems.html

You didn't answer the question about whether your iPhone 7 works ok away from home on other WiFi networks.

That would probably help to know, if just to know and maybe eliminate some possible problems.

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
You didn't answer the question about whether your iPhone 7 works ok away from home on other WiFi networks. And if your iPad works ok on your home network, that would indicate something in settings is not right or your iPhone 7 has a hardware problem. Have it checked out by Apple.
There is a problem also when I connect to 2.4ghz it kicks me off and I have to connect to 5Ghz and would apple swap it out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You do not indicate if the phone will connect to other networks outside your home and hold a connection. If other devices can connect with no issues at your home but the phone will not stay connected there could be a problem with the phone. You have indicated it will connect to the 5GHz signal so the 2.4GHz side might be weak. I would have suggested the distance from the access point might be the problem but the 5GHz signal is the shortest. If you can connect to your 5GHz and hold the connection distance is not the issue.

The best I can suggest is to try the phone on other networks and see if it holds the connection on a 2.4GHz network. If it drops the signal on other networks then I would head back to the Apple store and swap for a new phone. If it does not it is possible there is a protocol/handshake issue between the phone and your home network router that is not affecting other devices. Usually a new router/modem will fix that but it is hard to determine if you have not tried your phone on other networks.

Do some troubleshooting and try different networks to see if the phone will hold a connection. If not, you have information you can use to explain why you need a new phone - although you do not indicate if you have apple care which could be an issue. If it does then the problem may reside in your router - the fact resetting it caused the phone to work for a while might be an indicator of router issues.

Lisa

OP
A
Reaction score
You do not indicate if the phone will connect to other networks outside your home and hold a connection. If other devices can connect with no issues at your home but the phone will not stay connected there could be a problem with the phone. You have indicated it will connect to the 5GHz signal so the 2.4GHz side might be weak. I would have suggested the distance from the access point might be the problem but the 5GHz signal is the shortest. If you can connect to your 5GHz and hold the connection distance is not the issue.

The best I can suggest is to try the phone on other networks and see if it holds the connection on a 2.4GHz network. If it drops the signal on other networks then I would head back to the Apple store and swap for a new phone. If it does not it is possible there is a protocol/handshake issue between the phone and your home network router that is not affecting other devices. Usually a new router/modem will fix that but it is hard to determine if you have not tried your phone on other networks.

Do some troubleshooting and try different networks to see if the phone will hold a connection. If not, you have information you can use to explain why you need a new phone - although you do not indicate if you have apple care which could be an issue. If it does then the problem may reside in your router - the fact resetting it caused the phone to work for a while might be an indicator of router issues.

Lisa

I will try that but if issue still persists how will the Apple Store replace it if diagnostics pass and they don't have a 2.4Ghz network at Apple stores ??

How can I convince Apple to swap my phone out ??

OP
A
Reaction score
Only thing apple did on Thursday of last week is replaced my screen maybe something got broken in the process

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only thing apple did on Thursday of last week is replaced my screen maybe something got broken in the process

You never mentioned that in your original post. All you said was that Apple ran diagnostics. I would take the phone back to Apple and mention your trouble with connecting and that they replaced the screen the previous week. And, why did the screen have to be replaced? Dropped the phone? It always helps to give us the complete story....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
Did it work at home before Apple replaced the screen? Also, did you connect to the Apple Store's WiFi?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know if it would help and if you have a Mac at home, but if so you could try running the "Wireless Diagnostics.app" that you can find using the Findr and "Go to folder…" and enter /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications. Then follow the directions that Wireless Diagnostics.app provides.

Just a thought for something to try…

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I will try that but if issue still persists how will the Apple Store replace it if diagnostics pass and they don't have a 2.4Ghz network at Apple stores ??

How can I convince Apple to swap my phone out ??

Mentioning the screen replacement and if the problem was happening before that would have been helpful. Also I can just about guarantee they have 2.4GHz as that is the most prevalent wifi band used.

You have also not mentioned if the phone has issues connecting to other 2.4Ghz wifi in other locations. That would help to determine if the issue is the phone or your router.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More importantly, why did the screen have to be replaced? A dropped phone perhaps? Could that also be related to the WiFi problem? Lots of unanswered questions....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lots of unanswered questions....

Sort of reminds me of the old joke and the ongoing string of bad news the servant tells the owner when he returns home to his burned down home… ;D

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.