iTunes will not let me uncheck all on my Mac

Reaction score
I've been trying to put new music on the iPhone 6s through iTunes. All I've had is trouble. Every song was checked, so I went up to Edit, and the uncheck all was grayed out. When I wanted to sync a particular song, which I converted (with a Mac wma to mp3 format converter) to mp3, I right clicked the song. There was an option to send to device. The device was my phone, so I clicked to send it. It never appear on my phone. A day or so later, I tried again, but this time I went up to the menu bar and clicked sync to iPhone. That time it went over to my phone. Very confusing!

So how do I uncheck all the music on my Mac without going through the hundreds of songs I have and uncheck them manually?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi photogal and welcome back to Mac-Forums.

I think that, with no offence intended, that you may be going about this the wrong way:)

Please forgive me if I go through what I think you want to do:

You want to sync your 6S with iTunes and only put on the iPhone what you choose?

If this is your aim -

Directly attach your 6S to your Mac via USB. Open iTunes if it does not do it automatically (NB you can choose whether iTunes opens and syncs as soon as you attach your iPhone or disallow this - I can tell you how if that matters to you.)

In iTunes, very top, far left, click on the iPhone icon (do not click on the iPhone under Devices).

This opens a Window with, on your right, "Check for Updates" and below, "Backup this Device" and so on.

Now, look to your left under the iPhone icon and you will see Summary, and under that, Apps, Music, Films, and more.

Click on Music.

When you do that, it opens a window with all your Playlists, Artists, Albums, Genres etc.

This is where you choose what you want to sync with your 6S. Then click on sync - very bottom (next to Done).

If that is your aim, problem solved.

Completely separate from that is the question of checking/unchecking songs in the iTunes library.

The way to do that is not via Edit. Instead, select all the songs you want to uncheck manually (or if you really mean to uncheck all of them, you can click on one song and then Command + A.)

Then Right Click and choose "Untick Selection". This will do just that - remove the tick from all those songs you have selected. But I doubt if this was your intention. I suspect all you wanted to do was choose which songs to sync with your 6S. Am I right?

Please post back.

Ian

OP
P
Reaction score
You have answered my question completely. Yes, I was going about this the wrong way. Excuse me if I say, "iTunes is not user friendly". I have friends who say "I HATE iTunes". I think once you figure out what you want to do (as with anything, actually), you are good to go. Thanks for your quick reply.

Hi photogal and welcome back to Mac-Forums.

I think that, with no offence intended, that you may be going about this the wrong way:)

Please forgive me if I go through what I think you want to do:

You want to sync your 6S with iTunes and only put on the iPhone what you choose?

If this is your aim -

Directly attach your 6S to your Mac via USB. Open iTunes if it does not do it automatically (NB you can choose whether iTunes opens and syncs as soon as you attach your iPhone or disallow this - I can tell you how if that matters to you.)

In iTunes, very top, far left, click on the iPhone icon (do not click on the iPhone under Devices).

This opens a Window with, on your right, "Check for Updates" and below, "Backup this Device" and so on.

Now, look to your left under the iPhone icon and you will see Summary, and under that, Apps, Music, Films, and more.

Click on Music.

When you do that, it opens a window with all your Playlists, Artists, Albums, Genres etc.

This is where you choose what you want to sync with your 6S. Then click on sync - very bottom (next to Done).

If that is your aim, problem solved.

Completely separate from that is the question of checking/unchecking songs in the iTunes library.

The way to do that is not via Edit. Instead, select all the songs you want to uncheck manually (or if you really mean to uncheck all of them, you can click on one song and then Command + A.)

Then Right Click and choose "Untick Selection". This will do just that - remove the tick from all those songs you have selected. But I doubt if this was your intention. I suspect all you wanted to do was choose which songs to sync with your 6S. Am I right?

Please post back.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
You are very welcome. That's what we're here for.

Any further problems with this or anything else, post us.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.