PDA

View Full Version : Just switched from Windows and missing 'Show Desktop'

montyonthebonty
05-30-2017, 05:35 AM
Hi

I've just bought a new MacBook Pro, with the TouchBar and although I'm enjoying it I find one thing frustrating. I can be browsing in Safari, with the window maximised and I might want to go somewhere else (say to check an email, or open a download) but I can't find a keyboard shortcut to show the dock (in front of the window I'm using). The Mac equivalent of 'Show Desktop' I think. Also, is there a reason the yellow minimise button doesn't appear when I'm in full screen?

Thanks
Chris

badshoehabit
05-30-2017, 06:08 AM
Scroll up on the trackpad with three fingers and all will be revealed. Or use Control + Command + F to exit full screen.

http://www.imore.com/how-use-full-screen-mode-mac

montyonthebonty
05-30-2017, 06:16 AM
That's great - thanks - I've been googling the wrong things.

IWT
05-30-2017, 09:33 AM
Nice link, Sue.

I'm surprised it didn't mention another keyboard shortcut to exit Full screen - hit the Esc key.

Ian

pigoo3
05-30-2017, 10:16 AM
I've just bought a new MacBook Pro, with the TouchBar and although I'm enjoying it I find one thing frustrating. I can be browsing in Safari, with the window maximised and I might want to go somewhere else (say to check an email, or open a download) but I can't find a keyboard shortcut to show the dock (in front of the window I'm using). The Mac equivalent of 'Show Desktop' I think.

There are a binch of ways to do what you would like to do (a few already mentioned above).:) Another one is to use the "Dock" (the bar of icons at the bottom or side of the desktop/display). Load it up with the apps you use the most...then they are just a single click away.:)

- Nick

toMACsh
05-30-2017, 01:51 PM
You can also set up "hot corners" in Mission Control and set each corner to something different, including the Show Desktop option.

chscag
05-30-2017, 07:42 PM
Just a quick note here about the "desktop". In Windows it is quite common to keep lots of stuff on your desktop, however, this is not the Mac way. Do not get into the habit of placing documents or folders on your desktop. As Nick mentioned, there is the Dock which acts like a quick launch menu bar. That's all you need.

S.SubZero
06-02-2017, 03:05 AM
If all of this isn't enough, a raw "show desktop" is a gesture on the trackpad. The motion is an inverted pinch, as if you were dipping your fingers bunched together in water and then spreading the water by extending all fingers.

(System Preferences > Trackpad > More Gestures > Show Desktop) has a visual that's not quite like I do it but it works the same.

On a page with a full screen app, you can invert this motion, or press F4, to bring up LaunchPad, which also has a dock.

docx
06-10-2017, 09:36 AM
I Like to have the few apps that I use nearly every time I use my mac open on different desktops. Chrome on one mail on another and Spotify on a third.
I can then use a two finger swipe to switch between them .