Changing from Windows 10 to new Mac

Reaction score
I am thinking of changing from a Windows 10 laptop to a new Mac. I have pictures on the laptop and also on my Galaxy phones that use Android system. Can I move those pictures over to i Photo.
If I do will they be move over without any problems? I also have some other items that I would like to move such as MS Office excel etc. I have office 365 so I don't think that it will be a problem or will it?
The people at the Apple store told me that they can move it for $99.00. Also I may buy the Apple Warranty, is the warranty a good deal?

Your answers are appreciated

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi cbbob,

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

You can transfer all your pictures from your laptop and phones to a Mac. Although these can be stored anywhere you like on the Mac, the most obvious place in within Apple's native app (programme) called "Photos" - this replaced iPhoto some time ago and if, as I assume, you are buying a new or nearly new Mac, then "Photos" it will be.

You cannot "transfer" windows programmes to your Mac. MS Office won't transfer, but your 365 subscription might/should if you contact MS and transfer your subscription licence.

If you are buying a new Mac, then Apple's Extended Warranty (called AppleCare plus) is definitely recommended - by me anyway - it runs for 3 years. New Macs come with an automatic 12 month warranty (free).

Whether you should pay $99 for transferring your pictures is up to you. Did this fee include moving other things? If so, what? I might have hoped that if you were buying a brand new Mac from an Apple Store, the transfer process would be done as a freewill gesture?

We can help you along the way.

Ian

M

MacInWin

Your Office365 license should transfer. You'll need to get the Mac version of the apps from MS, so you may need to "unregister" the Windows versions and re-register on the Mac. When you first boot up, if you choose then to transfer from your Windows laptop you can use Migration Assistant to get most of your stuff from the laptop to the Mac. You can read how to do that here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087

AppleCare is a great insurance policy. Macs are reliable and well built, but when they do go bad, they can be expensive to repair.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
AppleCare is a great insurance policy. Macs are reliable and well built, but when they do go bad, they can be expensive to repair.

Plus one to what Jake stated, and I might add that the new MacBook Pro machines and the latest iMacs are "glued" together. The iMacs are very difficult to get into and the Mac notebooks are now all sporting soldered memory, glued battery, and non replaceable flash storage. Apple Care is no longer an option, it's a must have in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I imported photos myself from a Windows laptop so it should be easy to do! Put the $99 towards Apple Care which, as others advise, is a wise option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
You could use Google Photos to sync the Android photos with your mac and a USB drive to move the ones on your windows laptop. Google Photos is a must have on a Phone anyway.

OP
C
Reaction score
Copy pictures to mini-iPad

I am using a laptop with windows 10. I also have an mini iPad. I wanted to copy pictures from the laptop to the iPad but I get "The iPad is not connected". Yet it shows that it's connected on the

computer. I have tried a lot of things but still can't get the pictures copied. Am I doing something wrong?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have iTunes for Windows installed? Using iTunes makes it very easy to sync photos, music, books, and videos to your iPad. Without iTunes installed you'll need to use a third party application to do the syncing. The best one I can recommend is "iMazing 2 for Windows". However, it's not free which is why we recommend iTunes which is free.

By the way, you're in the wrong forum, but I'm going to leave it here so it will be easier for you to find.

Also, I combined this with your other post as it is the same subject. Please do not double post but continue with the original thread. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MacBook Pro 2.0 i7,4gb ram 500 hd
Glad to see another Mac convert, give it time to get used to the new and better way of doing things and you will love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If you are buying a new Mac, then Apple's Extended Warranty (called AppleCare plus) is definitely recommended - by me anyway - it runs for 3 years. New Macs come
Whether you should pay $99 for transferring your pictures is up to you. Did this fee include moving other things? If so, what? I might have hoped that if you were buying a brand new Mac from an Apple Store, the transfer process would be done as a freewill gesture?

That $99 fee has been in place for quite a number of years (maybe 10?). At least it hasn't gone up!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 13, iPhone SE 2, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Another way (there's always another way) would be using a cloud based method. There are so many of these I'm not sure which to suggest but for ease of use you could use OneDrive on your Windows laptop. Put your photos in the OneDrive folder wait for them to upload and while you're waiting install the OneDrive app on your iPad (from the App Store). Recent changes mean that you only get 5Gb free storage but that should be plenty for quite a lot of photos. Once the syncing is complete you can move the photos wherever you wish on your iPad.
You perform the same process with the iCloud service by installing the iCloud app on your PC.
Or you could use Google Photo Sync to keep both devices (including your phone) synced at all times.
last but certainly not least you could use FileDrop. A free multi platform application which makes transferring files between different devices a breeze.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.