How Do I Hide My Folders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12" - 1.33Ghz. 40GB, Ipod Shuffle 1GB.
Hi everyone...
I have a question regarding the MAC OS X Tiger system. I switched from windows last year and am still not acquainted well with all the features that MAC has to offer. However, I was wondering how I could hide my folders, or certain folders that I would not like everyone viewing. Windows allowed users to click on hide folders and they would disappear. Is this possible with MAC and if so how do I do it? I went online and searched and it said that I should click on hide extension in my info bar. The only problem is it does not give me that option to hide folders in the info bar so Im not sure what to do. Could anyone please help me out with this? Thanks
Pocketaces

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
pocketaces said:
Hi everyone...
I have a question regarding the MAC OS X Tiger system. I switched from windows last year and am still not acquainted well with all the features that MAC has to offer. However, I was wondering how I could hide my folders, or certain folders that I would not like everyone viewing. Windows allowed users to click on hide folders and they would disappear. Is this possible with MAC and if so how do I do it? I went online and searched and it said that I should click on hide extension in my info bar. The only problem is it does not give me that option to hide folders in the info bar so Im not sure what to do. Could anyone please help me out with this? Thanks
Pocketaces

File->Get Info (or Apple key + I)

Open up the Ownership & Permissions

Select Group,Access->No Access & Others->No Access.

Being based on Unix (BSD 5.4 with a Mach kernel to be precise) OS X allows you to specify read,write & execute access separately on a per file/folder basis to everyone, only those in specific groups or the file owner.

Far more powerful than a simple "hidden" option I'm sure you will agree. ;)

Amen-Moses

btw, out-of-the-box settings should mean that anything stored in your home folder or any sub-folder (.. etc) should not be visable to other users anyhow, that is what the Shared folder is for.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12" - 1.33Ghz. 40GB, Ipod Shuffle 1GB.
IS there another way

Hi Everyone.
Thanks for the feedback firstly. I tried what Amen-Moses told me to do and it worked. The only thing is the folder is there but it does not allow me to open the folder. Would it be possible to hide the folder so that it is not even viewable and no one can see or know that it exists. Something similar to hide all folders in Windows XP? Is this possible with MAC OS X 10.4. Any help is much appreciated and thanks alot for the feedback. Cheers!

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
pocketaces said:
Hi Everyone.
Thanks for the feedback firstly. I tried what Amen-Moses told me to do and it worked. The only thing is the folder is there but it does not allow me to open the folder. Would it be possible to hide the folder so that it is not even viewable and no one can see or know that it exists. Something similar to hide all folders in Windows XP? Is this possible with MAC OS X 10.4. Any help is much appreciated and thanks alot for the feedback. Cheers!

If you make the folder above 'No access' for group and others then noone but you can look inside it so the contents are indeed invisible. If the folder is 'Read only' and contains files that are 'No access' then they should not be visible. Note that you cannot hide things from the owner or root accounts, that would just be silly as if you can't see it how can you un-hide it?

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.