PDA

View Full Version : Photos in "Contacts"

RedSnapper
05-03-2017, 12:21 PM
I used to be able to drag or choose a photo from any file. Now apparently with OS Sierra it will only accept photos from "Photos"
As I use Lightroom for my 60,000 photos on file elsewhere than in "Photos" this is very inconvenient.
I have even tried moving a couple of photos into "Photos" but they still don't appear in the stupidly small dropdown window which appears when i edit a contacts photo.
Anyone out there can help?
Frustrated
RedSnapper

IWT
05-03-2017, 04:54 PM
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, again.

I can't duplicate your problem. In fact, in my experiment, I dragged a Screen Shot (png) of a quote from an article on Safari, to Contacts and it accepted the text without a grumble. Did the same with a a photo from the Desktop and using the Edit function in Contacts (agreed, bit of a finicky thing) was able to choose a picture from various sources.

This leads me to think that macOS Sierra is not the problem.

I'm sure you will have tried the obvious, but just in case:

1. Reboot the Mac.

That fails:

2. Download, install and run OnyX, a free, much recommended maintenance app which can be downloaded from: https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html Be sure to get the version for Sierra, use the Automation Tab and its own checkboxes and Execute.

Please post back.

Ian

MacInWin
05-04-2017, 01:06 AM
RedSnapper, I think what you are doing is dragging to the "+" and not to the circle where the image eventually appears. Try that.

RedSnapper
05-04-2017, 06:20 AM
Ian, Jake thanks for the advice
As usual "the turn it off turn it on" procedure seemed to fix the issue. Having voted up today I can now drag a photo from my photo files from Finder across to the contacts circle window and it accepts them.
Funny that when I had an on-line chat with Apple about this very problem yesterday they were adamant that I could only use an image from Apple Photos! Shows what they know then doesn't it. I will stick with you guys if I have any more issues.
Many thanks
RedSnapper

IWT
05-04-2017, 09:46 AM
Thanks for pasting back, RedSnapper.

It's amazing how often a reboot of the system sorts things out. It's alway the first thing I try when just about anything goes awry.

Glad you're sorted now anyway.

Ian