Bandwith usage

M

microfox

Hi

About 20 days ago, I moved my mac mini from the basement to the living-room upstairs and began using my Airport card really for the first time. (I had tested it, before when I was still downstairs).

At first everything went perfectly well but about ten days later, I noticed a serious increase of my bandwith usage, through a tool supplied by my ISP. I have tested this tool many times in the past and have no reason to doubt that the figures read diretly from my modem, are not exact.

I have a 20Gb (download) and a 10Gb (Upload) monthly limit with this ISP (local cable company) and my daily averages have went up from 100-125Mb to 400-600Mb and uploads from 40-50Mb to 200-250Mb.

I have downloaded a little widget called IStat and on the network tab, it shows that I'm continually getting from 1 to 6Kb/s and also constantly uploading from 1 to 4Kb/s, even when I simply look at the monitor and do nothing else. Now, where's the juice coming from and going to, I have no idea.

The only solution I have found so far is to shut down Airport when I don't need an Internet connection but that does not really sovle the problem.

I have checked the router settings and as far as I can see, nobody around seems to be "stealing" bandwith from the mac.

I'm using OSX 10.4.6.

If anyone can provide some help. I would certainly appreciate it, very much.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.