• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Here is my question?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Does anyone make a notebook PC that has a hot swappable battery, ie you put your notebook to sleep, then have say 30-45 seconds to swap out the battery with a fully charged one. If no one has one of these then why not, is it that difficult to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
that would be tough... good idea though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Hambug said:
Does anyone make a notebook PC that has a hot swappable battery, ie you put your notebook to sleep, then have say 30-45 seconds to swap out the battery with a fully charged one. If no one has one of these then why not, is it that difficult to do?
The G3 Powerbook 'Pismo' (aka the last black powerbook) had this feature. It also had a drive bay that could accept a second battery. crazy battery life those things. The way they do the hot swap thing is just to have a more powerful PRAM battery than what is strictly necessary.

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
jhelm007 said:
The G3 Powerbook 'Pismo' (aka the last black powerbook) had this feature. It also had a drive bay that could accept a second battery. crazy battery life those things. The way they do the hot swap thing is just to have a more powerful PRAM battery than what is strictly necessary.

Any idea why they didn't continue this with the new PowerBooks/MacBooks?

L

lil

The Dell's did (The D600 and D610 definitely did). I believe the PowerBook G4 Titaniums did too. Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hambug said:
Yes, the PowerBook G3 series could swap a battery while in sleep mode, but by definition that is not "hot-swapping". "Hot-swapping" happens while the computer is up and running and active... not in sleep mode. You could exchange the drive bays while the computer was running, but not the battery. If you only had one battery and tried to hot-swap it without shutting the comptuer down or putting it to sleep, you would simply cut the primary power source and shut down the computer.
Apple's Support Site said:
Question 10: Are the PowerBook G3 Series computer's batteries hot-swappable?

Answer: If the system is connected to AC power or operating with two batteries, then the batteries can be hot swapped. When using a single battery, the battery should be swapped only when the system is in sleep mode or shut down. Otherwise, the system will crash because you have removed the primary power source.
link

So yes, according to your explaination, it was able to be done. Just realize that it is not technically hot-swapping if you do that. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
If I put my PowerBook in sleep mode it'll let me swap the battery out for a fresh one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
D3v1L80Y said:
Yes, the PowerBook G3 series could swap a battery while in sleep mode, but by definition that is not "hot-swapping". "Hot-swapping" happens while the computer is up and running and active... not in sleep mode. You could exchange the drive bays while the computer was running, but not the battery. If you only had one battery and tried to hot-swap it without shutting the comptuer down or putting it to sleep, you would simply cut the primary power source and shut down the computer.
link

So yes, according to your explaination, it was able to be done. Just realize that it is not technically hot-swapping if you do that. :black:

The Pismo battery (though not the "G3 series"{wallstreets?}) was literaly hot swapable if you take the battery out the battery icon changes and if you don't change the battery in ~20 seconds it puts itself to sleep, but if you DO put the fresh battery in it just keeps on chugging. No sleeping. No down time. Just awsomeness. Its one of the reasons I still use mine.

Edit: oops! that was incorrect. I do have to put it to sleep first. maybe it was my powerbook 3400 that did that or maybe it only worked in OS 9, but I know I have hotswapped a battery on a mac OS laptop in the not too distant past. [Scratches head] now where did I leave that geritol. [shuffles off to ask the nurse when lunch is]

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
to_tough_to_die said:
If I put my PowerBook in sleep mode it'll let me swap the battery out for a fresh one.

Help me out here, I have a PowerBook G4 15 inch, are you saying that if I put it in sleep mode I can chage batteries?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
jhelm007 said:
I know I have hotswapped a battery on a mac OS laptop in the not too distant past.

I would have to disagree. It is more likely that your memory is just a little hazy. :black:
Simply put, no laptop has ever been able to hot-swap a battery if the battery is the only source powering the laptop. Look at it this way... if you were on a call with your cell phone and the battery was about to die, you could not change out your battery whilst on your call and not have the call drop. You would have to end your call, power down the phone, change the battery and then resume your call. Laptops function under the same principle. You cannot have your laptop currently active and running and change out the battery if it is the primary power source. You have to at least partially power it down (put it to sleep) before you can change out the battery. I am sure that sometime computer manufacturers will come up with some super-powerful CMOS battery that will power your laptop for say, five minutes with no external AC or battery, like some sort of internal emergency backup power source. This would allow you to save your work or change out the battery without putting the laptop to sleep, but for now it neither exists nor has it ever to my knowledge. Heck, with my old PowerBook 1400cs, you even had to sleep the computer to change out expansion bays as they weren't even hot-swappable on that model.
In short, you cannot cut the power to something that is active and expect it to continue running at full steam.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Hambug said:
Help me out here, I have a PowerBook G4 15 inch, are you saying that if I put it in sleep mode I can chage batteries?

Thats exactly what he is saying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
my 12" PB G4 lets me do this (1.5gig)
Alex

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D3v1L80Y said:
Simply put, no laptop has ever been able to hot-swap a battery if the battery is the only source powering the laptop.
Yes and there is a small back-up/PRAM battery in almost every mac laptop. That is why you can sleep-swap the batteries, as even in sleep mode a power source is required (for the RAM mainly). All it would take is a backup battery that provides enough power to keep the processor and not just the RAM running for a few seconds.

To answer the question of the originator of this thread (in case it hasn't already been answered): yes, you can sleep swap your batteries.

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
jhelm007 said:
Yes and there is a small back-up/PRAM battery in almost every mac laptop. That is why you can sleep-swap the batteries, as even in sleep mode a power source is required (for the RAM mainly). All it would take is a backup battery that provides enough power to keep the processor and not just the RAM running for a few seconds.

To answer the question of the originator of this thread (in case it hasn't already been answered): yes, you can sleep swap your batteries.

Thanks!

I put my PowerBook G4 to sleep, (while unplugged) took out the battery,waited approx 30 seconds, the time it might take to swap a battery with boxing gloves on, :) then put the battery back in, and the G4 came right back on-line just like it was before I put it to sleep - SWEET!!! Now it's time to go buy a spare battery for those longggggg, meetings where I can't get to a wall outlet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.