PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro and Air

fireman0174
04-05-2017, 03:22 PM
I think I know the answer to this, but here goes.

I believe that I cannot run either my MacBook Pro or my MacBook Air attached to an external monitor and wireless mouse/keyboard, with the computer "closed" as I can with the Windows computer I have at work.

Am I correct? I would love to be wrong as I'd like to replace my old 8 or 9 year old iMac with my MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, hooked up that way.

Art

Raz0rEdge
04-05-2017, 03:27 PM
You can absolutely do what you need and it's called Clamshell mode..

Read up here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201834

chscag
04-05-2017, 03:30 PM
You're referring to what Apple calls "clamshell mode". I believe you can run your MacBook Pro or Air in clamshell mode. Read up on it from the Apple Instructions (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201834). By the way, I ran my MacBook that way for years before I sold it. Worked great.

Edit: LOL, Ashwin types faster than me. Those young fellows are just quicker..... :)

pigoo3
04-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Am I correct? I would love to be wrong as I'd like to replace my old 8 or 9 year old iMac with my MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, hooked up that way.

In this case it GREAT to be wrong!;)

As Raz0rEdge & chscag already mentioned...you can ABSOLUTELY be able to run a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro with the lid closed (Clamshell mode). Been able to do this for years & years & years. In fact...this ability may have originated with Apple portable computers (before the other guys)!:)

- Nick

fireman0174
04-09-2017, 12:59 PM
By the way, I ran my MacBook that way for years before I sold it. Worked great.

Thanks. That's my game plan. Currently backing up data from the iMac.

Next step is to get a 24" monitor. Need to do some research on a monitor purchase.

I assume the monitor should use the existing HDMI outlet on the MacBook?

Slydude
04-09-2017, 01:18 PM
That's probably the easiest way to go but there are ways to use other types of monitor connections as well. I, for example, have a DVI to HDMI adapter. You can plug an HDMI cable into it and then connect the DVI end into a monitor that does not have an HDMI connection.