PDA

View Full Version : Mac pro 1.1 too elderly for video editing ?

mark mac prp
03-21-2017, 05:46 PM
Hello All

Question for all you mac fans with more experience in these matters.. I had had for quite a while a mac pro 1.1 . Whilst more than adequate at most tasks I am starting to get in to video editing. Using Premiere pro I find the machine bogs down which makes it difficult to edit with.. I have changed all but the graphics card.. Max 32gb ram installed and 3ghz processors.. Will reformatting the machine and add a more recent graphics card make this machine more useable ? If so any recomendations for a better graphics card...?

Thanks in advance

pigoo3
03-21-2017, 05:58 PM
When using a 2006 Mac Pro (11 year-old computer)...it will probably run best with software that is more "vintage" to the computer. If trying to run brand new applications on an old Mac Pro...you may experience performance issues. And with an older video card...newer apps won't run as speedy.

I would also mention...that if this is truly a Mac Pro 1,1...a good bit of modification has been done to it. There were no 8-core Mac Pro 1,1's (first 8-core Mac Pro's were Mac Pro 2,1's from 2007). So this Mac Pro would to have been upgraded with two quad core CPU's. And...official max OS version on Mac Pro 1,1's is 10.7.5. Thus some firmware & software patching has been done to get it to run Yosemite (10.10.5).

- Nick

mark mac prp
03-21-2017, 06:10 PM
Hi yes

the original graphics card was replaced to allow this newer OS to work..I believe it originally had 2.66 GHz D. Core Xeon 5150 x2 processors.. Similar in spec to the 2.1

lclev
03-21-2017, 09:32 PM
You do not say what app you plan to use for video editing. From the specs you list it should do fine with iMovie. It should handle Final Cut Pro BUT the biggest holdback will be the video card. Premiere CC will also have issues with the video card. Both apps use the GPU and video card memory heavily. The video card you have listed is a fine older card but it is old.

Lisa

mark mac prp
03-22-2017, 03:15 PM
You do not say what app you plan to use for video editing. From the specs you list it should do fine with iMovie. It should handle Final Cut Pro BUT the biggest holdback will be the video card. Premiere CC will also have issues with the video card. Both apps use the GPU and video card memory heavily. The video card you have listed is a fine older card but it is old.

Lisa

Thanks for the response.. I am using premiere pro... I am thinking of trying a video card but am stumped what to use. Any recomendations ? Don't mind investing in this as it will obviously be cheaper than buying a new machine..

thanks

lclev
03-22-2017, 07:06 PM
I use Premiere Pro CC for video editing on a 2010 MP. Upgrading the video card would help. It is hard for me to say more as you have obviously done some modifications as the original MP 1,1 would not run Yosemite. I would suspect there will still be some physical limits from the older logic board.

Check out the recommendations found in this forum post: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/8755/what-video-cards-are-compatible-with-mac-pro-original-1-1

Lisa