PDA

View Full Version : 3 Week Remote Music Player Iphone7?

landtoy80
03-18-2017, 03:52 AM
I work in remote AK for up to 3 weeks at a time in a tent. Looking to have some music to pass the time. I have no power other than AA batteries. No cell or wifi service.

I have a 128gb iPhone 7 and a small (2 charges) charger. Don't think that will last 3 weeks ha ha.
Will the 7 work if I got a large capacity back up power source or should I look into another MP3 player? I know there are ways to increase battery life on the 7.

DianeVan
03-18-2017, 10:59 AM
I don't know where AK is, but is it sunny there? What about a solar charger?

RadDave
03-18-2017, 12:52 PM
I don't know where AK is, but is it sunny there? What about a solar charger?

Hi Diane... - if a state abbreviation, then Alaska - ;) May be sunny but likely cold this time of the year depending on the location - for the OP, if I think of some solution (or partial one), then will post back. Dave :)

DianeVan
03-18-2017, 01:11 PM
Ha! I was thinking more internationally - like Africa or Indonesia! Alaska - I do know where that is!! ;)

I still think a solar charger would be great. I've seen them for backpacks so as you go about your daily work outside your phone gets charged. A student of mine even set his in a sunny window (not sure how effective that would be in Vancouver - we've had rain for many many days).

RadDave
03-18-2017, 01:13 PM
I work in remote AK for up to 3 weeks at a time in a tent. Looking to have some music to pass the time. I have no power other than AA batteries. No cell or wifi service.

I have a 128gb iPhone 7 and a small (2 charges) charger. Don't think that will last 3 weeks ha ha.
Will the 7 work if I got a large capacity back up power source or should I look into another MP3 player? I know there are ways to increase battery life on the 7.

Hi Landtoy.. - well, if your time was just a week or so, I would suggest buying several much larger capacity battery backup devices, and w/ your phone's radios off, music playback on a full charge should supply hours of playback. I assume that you have 'light' in the tent - does your lighting use a liquid fuel? If so, is there any type of generator running on the same fuel that might provide an AC outlet option? Finally, do you have a vehicle in which a charge could done by plugging into a cigarette lighter?

As to the latter option above (i.e. a vehicle), I own the Xantrex (http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/overview.aspx) battery backup unit shown below that has an AC outlet which would allow charging an iDevice w/ its own adapter - probably could get a dozen or more charges - mine is charged w/ an AC adapter, but a cigarette adapter can be used - check the link if this is even a possibility; of course, there are other companies making similar products. Dave :)

RadDave
03-18-2017, 01:16 PM
Ha! I was thinking more internationally - like Africa or Indonesia! Alaska - I do know where that is!! ;)

I still think a solar charger would be great. I've seen them for backpacks so as you go about your daily work outside your phone gets charged. A student of mine even set his in a sunny window (not sure how effective that would be in Vancouver - we've had rain for many many days).

Good point w/ solar - just left my post and that option was not included. I also have several hand-cranked radios for power outages, but have never googled for hand-cranked power generators - could get some exercise! ;) Dave

landtoy80
03-18-2017, 02:29 PM
Yes it Alaska,USA. I work wildfires, they fly me in to a airstrip, I fuel helicopters that fight the fires and sleep in tent at night. If it's at a village, there might be power but if it's at a airstrip in Arctic then the only power source is batteries and the sun.

For the most part, there is no meed for a light source as it's daylight most or all of the day during fire season. If it does get dark like when I worked in Nevada,USA you are tired from the 16 hr day and just sleep in the tent and use a small flashlight if needed. We eat MRE's so no cooking equipment is on site.

Because of flying in on small plane, weight and size is an issue. I have wondered if the pocket sized solar units could hold up to daily use for weeks at a time all summer. Hand crank will not work as I am very busy at the fuel site all day.

RadDave
03-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Yes it Alaska,USA. I work wildfires, they fly me in to a airstrip, I fuel helicopters that fight the fires and sleep in tent at night. If it's at a village, there might be power but if it's at a airstrip in Arctic then the only power source is batteries and the sun.

For the most part, there is no meed for a light source as it's daylight most or all of the day during fire season. If it does get dark like when I worked in Nevada,USA you are tired from the 16 hr day and just sleep in the tent and use a small flashlight if needed. We eat MRE's so no cooking equipment is on site.

Because of flying in on small plane, weight and size is an issue. I have wondered if the pocket sized solar units could hold up to daily use for weeks at a time all summer. Hand crank will not work as I am very busy at the fuel site all day.

Well, you're really 'roughing it' - been to Alaska just once (2-week trip) in August years ago - Nome was the furthest north we went (except for a day trip to Kotzebue), remember about 3 or so hours of darkness only.

Appears that several solar battery chargers would be your best option - just curious so looking on Amazon found the one (of many choices) below - 10,000 mAh unit - not sure which size iPhone you own but their capacities are about 2000 & 3000 mAh, so about 3-4 phone charges from a full battery - in one the the questions answered about this unit, does take a while to charge (see quote below - LINK (https://www.amazon.com/Nekteck-Rain-resistant-Shockproof-High-Efficiency-Supported/dp/B01DEN66MK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489859928&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=solar+battery+charger&psc=1)) - as to their ruggedness, reliability, and weather resistance - no idea, but if interested you might want to follow the link and look at some other questions answered or leave one yourself. Dave :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chscag
03-18-2017, 04:14 PM
@landtoy80:

Buy a battery operated MP3 player and take a good supply of Alkaline batteries with you. Using your iPhone in Arctic weather is not recommended anyway. Don't know what the Summer temps are up there but I know when I was stationed with the USAF at a BMEWS site in northern Greenland, it was still very cold during the all daylight Summer months.