PDA

View Full Version : Mac Adware Cleaner

cheddar-caveman
03-17-2017, 05:04 PM
I have just had a pop-up saying "Recommended Download" Install Mac Adware Cleaner now to protect your mac device from malware, adware and other security threats"

I have no idea where the pop-up came from but is it a good idea, is it a useful tool to have?

Raz0rEdge
03-17-2017, 05:07 PM
No, no..and did I mention no? Avoid avoid avoid. Install Ghostery or uBlock Origin on your browser to avoid these popups..

cheddar-caveman
03-17-2017, 05:23 PM
I thought so, so asked just to be sure! Pop-up dismissed! uBlock installed.

Cheers

Raz0rEdge
03-17-2017, 05:28 PM
These are all scareware apps that create pop-ups that blink and have very ominous words that frightens a lot of users into buying these software that do absolutely nothing of value..

RadDave
03-17-2017, 07:22 PM
No, no..and did I mention no? Avoid avoid avoid. Install Ghostery or uBlock Origin on your browser to avoid these popups..

I thought so, so asked just to be sure! Pop-up dismissed! uBlock installed.

These are all scareware apps that create pop-ups that blink and have very ominous words that frightens a lot of users into buying these software that do absolutely nothing of value..

@ Cheddar-caveman - many of us also use AdBlock which can be found in 'Safari Extensions' (in the Safari menu if that is the browser being used) - first image below; also, if not already on your computer, Malwarebytes for Mac (https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/) is another frequent recommendation here - Dave :)

cheddar-caveman
03-17-2017, 07:35 PM
Yes, thanks Dave, I've had malware Bytes for a long time. Just put Ghosty on and the little Ghost is watching over me!

RadDave
03-17-2017, 09:46 PM
Yes, thanks Dave, I've had malware Bytes for a long time. Just put Ghosty on and the little Ghost is watching over me!

OK C-C, you seem to be up-to-date - Dave :)

cheddar-caveman
03-22-2017, 06:07 AM
I'm puzzled now. I have both Ghostery and uBlock Origin installed but I still keep getting this sort of pop-up (pop-down really) appearing top right.
Where do they come from? Is it a rogue program already installed on the computer?

This one says "Need more hard disk space on this Mac?
Install "Mac Space Review"

cheddar-caveman
03-23-2017, 08:37 AM
And here's another one "popping down". Where are tyhey coming from? Anybody know please""

Raz0rEdge
03-23-2017, 10:41 AM
What page are you on when they show up? If they show up on different pages, then you need to clear your Safari history, clear all the cookies and THEN with the plugins in place, you'll be protected. So basically you have stuff that was in place before the plugins could stop them..

cheddar-caveman
03-23-2017, 11:15 AM
So I should run Onyx and all it's components which I believe will clear all history, cache's etc? No problem with that!

Raz0rEdge
03-23-2017, 11:30 AM
Correct, and also MalwareBytes..