PDA

View Full Version : mackeeper popups

macgig
03-12-2017, 09:06 PM
never used or installed mackeeper. Ive read its bad. every once in a while I guess at certain websites, I'll get a window open behind my current one about mackeeper. I have the browser set to block popups but this one always seems to get thru. happened a lot on snow lep I recall, I thought upgrading to El Capitan should stop it. guess not.

any way to stop this from happening? thanks.

harryb2448
03-12-2017, 10:41 PM
I would suggest you clean caches and History on your Mac. These types of nasties can be picked up at dodgey web sites, or downloading from several sites where they add these things on. Never download from CNET, Softonic or MacUpdate.

Suggest you download Mlwarebytes for Mac from the link, and run in Scan mode. Then download Ghostery and AdBlockPlus and activate in Browser Preferences.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

macgig
03-13-2017, 06:27 AM
will do on caches and history. I have malwarebytes, if found nothing. also running Ghostery and AdBlockPlus.

macgig
03-23-2017, 07:57 PM
its back. mackeeper popup. even though popups are blocked in firefox. I call it a pop behind. it came up behind the window I was viewing.

brand new imac I bought about a week ago, and mackeeper shows up again. how can I stop this from happening? is their a way to stop this? how do they get past the popup blocking stuff?

perhaps my old imac had something on it that I moved over to the new mac? but what? I've never used mackeeper so I find it odd that I keep getting popups about it.

Rod Sprague
03-24-2017, 12:45 AM
In addition to the above advice about emptying cache and history I would also delete cookies and if necessary bookmarks too. Further to that I would do this Off Line. Disconnect your device from the internet before deleting cache and history, quite the browser and restart the device before reconnecting and opening the browser.
Somehow the URL for this popup has become attached to some site you visit.
If you are not using Safari but Google Chrome or Firefox the easiest solution may be to uninstall that browser then download a fresh copy and reinstall.
You can save your bookmarks in Safari and reload them from there.

chscag
03-24-2017, 02:13 AM
And... quit visiting sites where you're picking up stuff like MacKeeper. ;D

macgig
03-24-2017, 06:28 AM
using firefox. I was reading a page from a link I clicked on facebook, and on that site I clicked something by accident, that is when it happened. im trying to figure out if its on my mac, or just on the sites I'm at. but I may never know for sure. malewarebytes is not finding anything. it has to be on the sites I visit. I'm pretty careful about what programs I put on here and where I download them from. perhaps its in my firefox profile. I may remove all the stuff you mentioned and reinstall firefox again. good tip thanks. :)

ferrarr
03-24-2017, 08:42 PM
Did you see this Firefox Support article, https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Procedures-to-diagnose-and-fix/Reset-Firefox-preferences-to-troubleshoot-and-fix-problems/ta-p/1340

macgig
03-24-2017, 09:19 PM
good to know, thanks.