.jpeg

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

I don't quite follow your question.

Do you mean that you have a photo or graphic in the JPEG format that you want to move on to your Desktop? If so, Drag & Drop; or Copy/Paste (Cmd C/Cmd V); or open the JPEG file and "Save As" to the Desktop.

Or have I misinterpreted your question. A tad more detail would help.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Jpeg is a photographic format - a way of compressing the size - not something that you can move. Cameras will store photos in RAW and/or jpeg and the Mac Photos app can handle both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi Ian,
Thank you very much for your reply :) I read somewhere that if you save the jpeg application to the desk top then any photos you want to post will not be too big. For example I took a photo of something I wanted to sell online at deals.ie they said the photo file was too big. But thinking things over maybe perhaps if I drag the photo from iphotos to my desk top that would work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Apologies, misunderstood what you were trying to do. Dragging to the desktop won't make any difference to size but if you export them you can change the file size. Select your images in Photos > File > Export, then you get a menu where you can set your sizes. Click export and it will go to the desktop from where you can email it.

This is the process, and I have reduced them as examples.
Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 19.29.21.jpg Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 19.29.41.jpg P1000173.jpg

To reduce further, choose Small or set your own size under Custom.

Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 19.36.03.png

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hey Sue, like your cat. My wife and I have always had cats (Siamese) - 8 over the last 45 years. Just the one left now.

Good advice, as always.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just another hint.... A JPEG file can be reduced in size with the "Preview" app which you have on your Mac. However, Sue gave you a very good tutorial on how to do it with the "Photos" app. Either way should work.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm working on a series of Automator workflow that will address this issue to some extent. I got the idea just before last Sundays video chat based on a forum thread about using the built-in key commands to take screenshots.

The workflows I've built allow a user to choose the final file format (.jpg, png, tiff etc) and resolution. I'll have a short video posted sometime between now and Monday. The workflows are designed with screenshots in mind but should work with photos intended for other purposes. right now I'm looking at demonstrating using a "watch folder" to run the workflows automatically or a drag and drop approach. I'll probably demo both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Just another hint.... A JPEG file can be reduced in size with the "Preview" app which you have on your Mac. However, Sue gave you a very good tutorial on how to do it with the "Photos" app. Either way should work.

@ Dolly....... - for myself, Preview is the 'free' app that I use on a daily basis in macOS - not sure 'where' your images are located, i.e. in a 'Pictures' folder or in 'Photos', but if you click on an image of interest then should open in Preview - NOW, Sue's advice is spot on if you want to work in Photos, so not an issue, plenty of ways to 'skin a cat' - :)

But if you want to explore the Preview option, then a short image tutorial: 1) Double click on your pic of interest which should open in Preview - see first pic below - my wife on a trip to Tarpon Springs, FL a few years ago - select the 'Toolbox' then the 'Resize' icon (see double arrows); 2) Resize dialog box will open shown a LARGE image (2560 x 1920 pixels) (2nd pic); 3) Change one dimension of the pixel size to that desired - if the lock is present then the other dimension is proportionately changed to maintain the same aspect ratio (3rd pic); and 4) Image becomes much smaller and can be rechecked w/ the 'Resizing' icon - once you've done this a few times, just takes seconds and gives you a more exact control of your image's size - NOW, there is MUCH more that can be done in Preview - let us know if the suggestions given solve your problem - Dave

ADDENDUM: you might want to 'duplicate' your images so the original one is saved unaltered.
Resize1.png
Resize2.png
Resize3.png
Resize4.png

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent, Dave.

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi there, Thanks for your help! I followed your directions but I don't get the options JPEG quality, colour or size. I wish I know how to take a screen shot on my Mac so I could show you what I mean.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hello, Thanks for your help! When I double click on a photo it doesn't open in preview. I keep my photos in 'Photos'. I do have preveiw in applications though. How can I get it to open for me? Any ideas? Thanks

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi there, Thanks for your help! I followed your directions but I don't get the options JPEG quality, colour or size. I wish I know how to take a screen shot on my Mac so I could show you what I mean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Sue, like your cat. My wife and I have always had cats (Siamese) - 8 over the last 45 years. Just the one left now.

Ian

This is Marley, an out and out charmer of a silver tabby. Follow his exploits: @bigsilvertabby Never had a Siamese but my other feline (regular tabby) is very vocal like them.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@dollydaydream

I'll try to walk you through the stages of copying a photo from within Photos, to the Desktop, including the size and quality functions.

Open Photos.

Click to highlight the picture you want to copy to the Desktop.

From the top Menu Bar > File > Export (at this point it says do you want to Export 1 Photo or Unmodified Original. This will only be an option if you have edited or modified the original picture). Choose your picture.

This will bring up this window:

sc1.png

This is where you can change the Photo Kind, JPEG Quality, Size and all the rest - by clicking on the little arrowheads adjacent to each box.

Then click on Export. It will now allow you to do 2 things: Create a Folder if you wish AND select a destination - Desktop in your case.

NB If instead of my screenshot above, you see this:

sc2.png

All you have to do is click on the downward-facing arrowhead to the right of "Photo Kind" JPEG and it will open up as in screenshot 1.

Hope this helps.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Note, that in screenshot 1, showing the full set of options, the arrowhead is pointing up - whereas in the collapsed version in screenshot 2, the arrowhead is pointing down.

This is common to almost all of Apple's apps.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello, Thanks for your help! When I double click on a photo it doesn't open in preview. I keep my photos in 'Photos'. I do have preveiw in applications though. How can I get it to open for me? Any ideas? Thanks

Hi again Dolly....... - please select a photo in your 'Pictures' folder in Finder, then right-click and pick 'Get Info' - this will open a long dialog box; scroll down to 'Open with:' - see first pic below; mine is set for 'Preview' to open a JPEG image - yours is likely different. Now, hit the arrows button to see the list in the second pic - select Preview which should be in the list - that specific image should now open in the app; if you want to set Preview as your universal default for ALL JPEGs, the hit 'Change all....' and hit 'Continue' in the pop-up dialog box (last pic below). Let us know if this helps. Dave :)
Info1.png Info2.png Info3.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.