PDA

View Full Version : how to rotate video with QT?

Applet
02-23-2017, 02:35 PM
I have an .mp4 video that is rotated the wrong way, I thought it would be easy to rotate like other videos, with QT as detailed here, http://osxdaily.com/2016/02/01/rotate-video-mac-os-x/ but when I do the .mp4 cannot be viewed. please see 2nd attachment, what am I doing wrong?

MightyGem
02-23-2017, 05:45 PM
what am I doing wrong?
Don't know. I take it that you've rotated twice?

Applet
02-24-2017, 02:31 AM
no one rotation makes it appear ineligible as above, is it because the 'original' had something done to it? is there any other method that can rotate this upside down .mp4?

ferrarr
02-24-2017, 09:07 AM
MightyGem is correct. You need to rotate the video the same way, right or left, one more time, to get the 180 degree rotation. You only rotated the video 90 degrees, which is why it looks the way it does.

MightyGem
02-24-2017, 05:04 PM
Although if I rotate 90degs, it looks nothing like that. It looks just like the original rotated 90degs.

pm-r
02-24-2017, 07:35 PM
Although if I rotate 90degs, it looks nothing like that. It looks just like the original rotated 90degs.

Is this what you're after??

If so, you should be able to just click and hold it and drag it to your desktopů

- Patrick
======

Applet
02-24-2017, 11:03 PM
Yes, l dragged it from my USB drive to desktop and its just the same, wrong way round, tried to correct it with QT and same :(
strangely enough when l play with VLC its right way round. still l want it right way round with QT
possible? imovie can do as well? how?

Slydude
02-24-2017, 11:52 PM
Since it's right way round with VLC try this until I have time to test a bit more:
1. Open the file in VLC and make sure it appears the right way.
2. Use VLC to save the file under a different name.
3. Select the file you just saved and choose Command+I. Now since you want the file to open in Quicktime change the Open With setting to QuickTime.

Applet
02-26-2017, 04:38 PM
Since it's right way round with VLC try this until I have time to test a bit more:
1. Open the file in VLC and make sure it appears the right way.
2. Use VLC to save the file under a different name.
3. Select the file you just saved and choose Command+I. Now since you want the file to open in Quicktime change the Open With setting to QuickTime.

How exactly do you save it under VLC? l tried File, convert / stream , and chose the 'video - H 264 + MP3 (MP4)' but that definitely doesnt work, don't even end up with an .mp4 file

Slydude
02-26-2017, 06:47 PM
How exactly do you save it under VLC? l tried File, convert / stream , and chose the 'video - H 264 + MP3 (MP4)' but that definitely doesnt work, don't even end up with an .mp4 file
I'll investigate a bit and see if I can give you a good answer. Been a while since I used VLC for that. Stay tuned.

Applet
02-27-2017, 02:57 PM
I'll investigate a bit and see if I can give you a good answer. Been a while since I used VLC for that. Stay tuned.

thanks , l will just wait :)

Slydude
02-27-2017, 04:27 PM
@Applet you are quite right. After I made my last post I remembered that there is something odd with the current version of VLC. I can never seem to track down the transcoded video.

Here's what I tried in QT instead. perhaps it will work for you. Since I did not have a video that was flipped I used QT to create one using an existing video then used the "wrong way round video" to test this process. Hope it works for you.

1. Open the video that you want to change.
2. Choose Edit>Flip Horizontal (Shift Command H)
3. I then saved the resulting file with a new name using the Export feature.

I also tried rotating through a series of 90 degree turns but that did not seem to produce the desired result.

MightyGem
02-27-2017, 05:24 PM
2. Choose Edit>Flip Horizontal (Shift Command H)
Hadn't noticed that, but for an upside-down video like Applet's, you need to Flip Vertical. :D

Slydude
02-27-2017, 05:32 PM
Hadn't noticed that, but for an upside-down video like Applet's, you need to Flip Vertical. :D

Thanks. I used a video of last nights chat and flip horizontal worked fine. You're right though Applet probably needs the Flip Vertical feature.

ferrarr
02-27-2017, 11:58 PM
In the link Applet included in their original post, it shows the "Flip" options and both horizontal and vertical are listed.