PDA

View Full Version : Iris Pro Video Editing Performance

scxfalse
02-21-2017, 02:14 PM
I'm not too familiar with this integrated graphics cards performance let alone the performance of the mbp 2015 Iris Pro 5200 and I was wondering if the iris pro (no dedicated) would cut it with "minimal" video editing in Final Cut Pro. More specifically 1080p and maybe 4k. I don't care too much for render times and the reason for this option is because of savings and using FCPX. Can anyone share there experiences and the work flow of using just the integrated graphics. Thanks.

chscag
02-21-2017, 04:01 PM
Welcome to our forums.

Good questions. We have several of our members who are into video editing and they'll likely be able to answer you.

joema
03-03-2017, 08:21 AM
I'm not too familiar with this integrated graphics cards performance let alone the performance of the mbp 2015 Iris Pro 5200 and I was wondering if the iris pro (no dedicated) would cut it with "minimal" video editing in Final Cut Pro. More specifically 1080p and maybe 4k. I don't care too much for render times and the reason for this option is because of savings and using FCPX. Can anyone share there experiences and the work flow of using just the integrated graphics. Thanks.

In general video editing itself is mostly a CPU-bound activity, not GPU-bound. The GPU is used more for *effects* than editing. I have a top-spec 2015 MBP (which has the integrated M370X GPU) and it can edit some H264 4k in FCPX but for smoothest response it requires proxy.

Running the GeekBench 4 GPU benchmark, I get 37370 using the M370X and 29022 using just the Iris Pro integrated GPU. So the discrete GPU is faster but that doesn't by itself make 4k H264 editing smooth, since it's mostly a CPU-limited task.

The best way to get better editing performance on H264 4k content is transcode to proxy. Fortunately on FCPX this is built in and works very well.

pigoo3
03-03-2017, 10:15 AM
I don't care too much for render times...

Can you please clarify what you mean with this statement? Do you mean:

- You don't like render times?
- You are ok with render times?

* Nick