Here is the list of my favorite TV series
Game of Thrones
Homeland
Vikings
Da Vinci's Demons
What is your?

chscag
02-18-2017, 04:01 PM
Moved here to the lounge, our off topic forum.

One of my favorite TV shows is "Blue Bloods" starring Tom Selleck.

IWT
02-18-2017, 05:46 PM
The thing is, Tomsonn, I'm of an age when I can remember Hopalong Cassidy, The Range Rider, the original black and white Mark of Zorro, The Saint, Ivanhoe, Robin Hood et al.

How can we compare favourites from the mists of time with Game of Thrones and the like?

I always liked any of the series starring David Janssen - of which there were several.

Ian

ferrarr
02-18-2017, 05:58 PM
My current favorites are;

Boston Bruins
The Walking Dead
Mr. Robot

Past favorites;

Dukes of Hazard
Six Million Dollar Man
Stargate SG-1

Also, too many to list from reruns.

XJ-linux
02-22-2017, 07:18 PM
I'll play:
Currently it would be The Walking Dead (though it's running out of steam), Better Call Saul and Vikings. Past favorites would include SG-1, Lost (except the finale) and House. A very honorable mention to Magnum P.I. and Futurama.

badshoehabit
02-23-2017, 08:35 AM
The thing is, Tomsonn, I'm of an age when I can remember Hopalong Cassidy, The Range Rider, the original black and white Mark of Zorro, The Saint, Ivanhoe, Robin Hood et al.

Ian

Hi Ho, Silver!!!

Recent ones are the two series of Fargo, House of Cards (Spacey version, not original), Happy Valley, Last Tango in Halifax, Scott and Bailey (coincidentally all three by Sally Wainwright), Line of Duty, The Good Wife, Wallander (Kenneth Branagh) and I am fond of the Scandi noir stuff like Trapped, Borg and Follow The Money.

Within 10-15 years - Life on Mars, Heartbeat, The Royal (great music in all), any Poirot or Miss Marple (sans Geraldine McEwan) or Rebus. I'd rather watch Tom Selleck as Jesse Stone on a continuous loop than the likes of Broadchurch.

I think some producers don't know when to stop - Homeland, The Walking Dead and 24 all outliving any semblance of originality.

ProTruckDriver
02-23-2017, 08:46 AM
I like watching the past TV Series:

Everybody Loves Raymond (Series on DVD)
Golden Girls
All in the Family
Bill Cosby Show

badshoehabit
02-23-2017, 08:59 AM
Ah, Golden Girls - the original women behaving badly.:Mischievous:

Raz0rEdge
02-23-2017, 10:00 AM
My favorite is House Hunters.....OK, I kid, I kid..:)

I've enjoyed a few shows and have enjoyed watching them again. From that list I would say from years past..
- West Wing
- Friends

More recently I've been sticking with shows available on Netflix so things like
- Dark Matter (excellent SciFi show with brilliant writing)
- House of Cards

RadDave
02-23-2017, 11:34 AM
Boy - I go back to watching TV series to the 1950s; wife and I watched a bunch together when our son was young; and now in retirement, I've been watching a bunch of all types of genres - BUT, shown below are some that I'm currently re-watching, shows that I've really enjoyed recently, and 3 of the 5 that I watch w/ my wife (otherwise we have our personal favorites - I'm in the den & she in the bedroom). Dave :)

nickyr
02-25-2017, 03:07 PM
Dad's Army

(I really don't like modern television)

IWT
02-25-2017, 04:21 PM
+1 for Dad's Army (the original, not the film version which was............eh, poor!)

Ian

Tomsonn
02-27-2017, 02:06 AM
Started watching House of Cards. Kevin Spacey is acting really well in this series. And his words are really really sharp. It's a good serial, the story is great.

RadDave
02-27-2017, 12:16 PM
Horatio Hornblower (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornblower_(TV_series)) - just one of the two complete TV series that I own on DVD (all of the rest I stream either free or purchased) - I love watching Hornblower (staring Ioan Gruffudd) and a routine to view the 8 episodes about every couple of years - an older British production from 1998-2003 - events center around the Napoleonic era - for those who love wooden sailing ships, highly recommended. Dave :)

chscag
02-27-2017, 09:10 PM
Read all the Hornblower books. Great read. By the way, did you see the original movie starring I believe Gregory Peck? Or was that before your time Dave? :P

RadDave
02-27-2017, 09:26 PM
Read all the Hornblower books. Great read. By the way, did you see the original movie starring I believe Gregory Peck? Or was that before your time Dave? :P

Hi Chscag - read some of those books myself, and I was a youngster when the Peck film came out in 1951 - been watching the movie for decades and own on DVD (would buy a BD if well restored) - fan of Peck and Virginia Mayo - don't know if you've seen the TV series mentioned but worth a look if you have a streaming option - WELL, just looked on Amazon and all 8 episodes are on 4 DVDs in a box for just $14 - shown below. Dave :)

chscag
02-27-2017, 09:28 PM
Thanks Dave. I'm a great fan of anything by C.S. Forester. I did not see the TV series so might be a worthwhile purchase especially at that price.

RadDave
02-27-2017, 09:33 PM
Thanks Dave. I'm a great fan of anything by C.S. Forester. I did not see the TV series so might be a worthwhile purchase especially at that price.

If a Hornblower fan, I'm sure that you would enjoy - each episode is about 100 mins in length, so 12+ hours total, about a buck an hour! Dave :)

XJ-linux
04-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Update for TWD fans...

Jason Samuelson
05-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Lie to me

House of Cards

Californication

and the Dutch "Bron|Broen" (there is American version "The Bridge", but I liked Dutch more)

bobtomay
05-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Ian, if we were closer to each other, you could come over for a Saturday afternoon matinee.

I have in my collection the complete Hoppalong Cassidy, some of The Range Rider, the original black and white The Mark of Zorro... the best version of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn, along with a full collection of all the Tarzan movies I came to love on the Saturday Matinee TV shows - Johnny Weismuller, Gordon Scott, Jock Mahoney, et al..., Have Gun Will Travel, The Adventures of Ma and Pa Kettle, Gilligan's Island, you get the idea.

If it's Sci-Fi, I watch it, but I'll put up Star Trek: Deep Space 9
House

More modern
BlackList - although the past couple of seasons not quite as good
Bosch on Amazon
Marco Polo on Netflix
and yeah,
The Voice
and of couse
The Walking Dead

IWT
05-09-2017, 04:23 AM
Ian, if we were closer to each other, you could come over for a Saturday afternoon matinee.

And that would have been a visit and a half!

I guess there a few members who don't have a clue what we're talking about:)

Thanks for the post.

Ian

ProTruckDriver
05-09-2017, 11:39 AM
I have in my collection the complete Hoppalong Cassidy, some of The Range Rider, the original black and white The Mark of Zorro... the best version of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn, along with a full collection of all the Tarzan movies I came to love on the Saturday Matinee TV shows - Johnny Weismuller, Gordon Scott, Jock Mahoney, et al..., Have Gun Will Travel, The Adventures of Ma and Pa Kettle, Gilligan's Island, you get the idea.

Now you're really bringing back old memories. Love them all ;)

Jonzjob
05-14-2017, 07:31 AM
Now, if one were to be perdantique then one would point out that 'matinée' means morning. So an afternoon morning would indeed be a visit and a 1/2, init ;);)

But back to business. I'm surprised that 'Allo Allo' hasn't cropped up. The early series were superb and unmissable for us. The later series lost a bit though.

"Don't panic Mr Mannering" is another favourite, more commonly known as Dads Army, so another fan here. Hanckock's Half Hour, The 2 Ronnies and more that I can't remember.

The 2 Ronnies and their famous sketch to enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHW0Qs1OJU0

I can't stand the soaps, so I used to record them all, then play them back when I went out. That way I could miss them twice :Evil::Evil: