PDA

View Full Version : Word Macros target Macs

lclev
02-15-2017, 01:17 PM
This is interesting. It talks about malicious word macros targeting macs now. It seems to be coming from a Russian site. (Sigh... first it was the elections and now our Macs!!! ;D )

http://thehackernews.com/2017/02/mac-osx-macro-malware.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheHackersNews+%28The+Hackers +News+-+Security+Blog%29&_m=3n.009a.1429.fe0ao06xsz.uhe

One other thing in the article refers to fake update/download popups - flash player, bit defender adware removal tool. The article indicates that even dismissing the popup still gets your data harvested.

Lisa

harryb2448
02-15-2017, 03:37 PM
As usual the MacDownloader malware, which had very little impact, is still referred to as a 'virus'. Scares folks into buying AV software.

Slydude
02-15-2017, 09:13 PM
I talked about this briefly on the chat Sunday night. See show notes here (http://www.mac-forums.com/showthread.php?t=313412&p=1748007&viewfull=1#post1748007).

MS word macros have had the potential for some degree of problems or another for years. In the pre OS X days there was a shareware program called Disinfectant. One story about why the authors stopped producing the program couldn't keep up with the proliferation of Word based macros. One of the first things I do for Word and Excel is to turn off automatic execution of Macros (Preferences>Security).

I am going to try to upload the show again tonight. I've tried at least twice since Sunday and had it hang each time.

chscag
02-15-2017, 10:12 PM
It's been so long since I've used macros in Word that I forgot how to turn the auto execution off. I thought at one time that it was off by default and that you had to turn it on. I may be thinking of the Windows version since I have not had to use macros in the Mac version of Word.

I just checked my "Tools" in Word 2011 and macros plus Visual Basic are definitely turned on. I just tested it by bringing up a blank macro.

Slydude
02-16-2017, 12:21 AM
I've never run Word macros or had anyone send me a document with them included. I used to run a few Excel macros that basically pulled a subset of information from a master sheet and pasted the associated data into a template in the same workbook. It had a few other associated macros that sorted the list by various criteria but I built all the macros myself is I wasn't worried about infected macros unless I had picked them up when I ran them on the PC.

lclev
02-16-2017, 09:27 AM
That is an excellent tip Sly. I use to turn off macros in Windows but over the years I had forgotten as I never use them.

Lisa