PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to export iTunes songs from iMac to home theater?



rteach1
02-12-2017, 01:36 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I've had an iMac since 2013 (using Yosemite 10.10.5) and have a wireless network controlled by a router (also from 2013) outside the Apple family. I also own an iPod Touch that is 2 years old, an iPad Mini 2, and an iPhone 5s.

The Audio/Video receiver is a Yamaha 467 (from 2011) with HDMI. The TV is a new Sony 930D model, the BluRay player is a new Sony as well (model 6500). The speakers are 30 years old, which prompts my question. I'm planning to treat myself to high end speakers (looking at floor standing models). How can I export songs from the iTunes library on the iMac to the home theater system? About 95% of the songs are from CDs that were imported into the Mac. The remaining 5% are songs purchased from the iTunes store. What I have been doing is connecting the iPod to the receiver with a cable, but that just has the compressed sound of any MP3 player. I'm hoping to get CD quality for the songs that originally came from CDs.

I'd be grateful for your suggestions that would provide the best combination of sound quality and ease of use. I'm really quite a newbie when it comes to things like streaming, exporting, etc., so it would be worth it to me to spend a little more to get ease of use.

Thank you very much.

P.S.- When I import CDs into the Mac, I was recently told that I should use the "Apple Lossless Encoder" in iTunes. I used to use the"AAC Encoder." Any thoughts on which encoder should be used? Thank you.

rteach1

Bianca96000
02-16-2017, 10:42 PM
find the setting at iTunes, Preferences, then Sharing.If you're happy to share everything, check the box beside "Share my library on my local network" and leave the other settings on their defaults.

rteach1
02-16-2017, 11:47 PM
find the setting at iTunes, Preferences, then Sharing.If you're happy to share everything, check the box beside "Share my library on my local network" and leave the other settings on their defaults.

Thank you for your reply. I set up my iTunes preferences in my Mac as you suggested. However, I'm not seeing songs that I just added yesterday on my phone, iPod, or iPad. Do I need to change any settings on those devices? Does this have anything to do with the cloud settings, for example?

Also, my A/V receiver does not have any Apple capability, so I still don't know how to get my iTunes library onto the receiver. My wi fi runs my tv and Blu ray player, but doesn't run the receiver.

Thanks for any other help that you might be able to provide.

Tomsonn
02-19-2017, 05:15 PM
You can play music from your Mac using iTunes, or, stream it wirelessly to external speakers using an iPod, iPhone or iPad.
If you need to use a third-party audio device to connect your speakers to your Mac, it needs to be plugged-in using a FireWire, USB or S/PDIF cable. If drivers are required for the audio device, you should install them first, before plugging the device into the Mac for the first time. If you aren't sure if a driver needs to be installed for your audio device, check with the documentation which was included with it, or, consult the manufacturers web site. Class compliant audio devices do not require a software driver to work with a Mac, whereas non-class compliant audio devices require a driver for correct operation. The most obvious clues that a required driver has not been installed for a third party audio device include no sound, constantly blinking lights on the audio device itself and/or difficulty choosing the device as an input (or output) in Sound preferences.
You can also stream music (as well as videos and photos) from your iPod, iPad, or iPhone using AirPlay. Additionally, with iOS 5 or later, you can wirelessly sync your iOS device (including music) over a shared Wi-Fi connection.